Build: Twin Turbo 88 S10 - powerglide, 5.3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Build: Twin Turbo 88 S10 - powerglide, 5.3

I have this posted on theturboforums.com as well, but I thought I'd bring it over here too. Some of you may have seen this, some may not. This one won't be quite as fast moving as my Mustang thread, but I'll keep it updated as I go along. The purpose of this truck is to run in the 5.80/6.0/6.20 class.

Now, it's time to start the build on my S10. First, the backstory - I bought this thing about 1.5 years ago as a pile of parts and paid a bit too much for it at 1,000$. It had a complete drivetrain, but it was critically injured..so, I proceeded to search for a good Vortec 350. FFWD to late last winter - I got it all running, moved into my new house, and at the same time found my fresh, junk parts 350 with my new Vortec heads had a flat cam. No biggie, took it back out of the truck, got a new cam, some break in additive, and a set of bearings just in case - come to find out, that was a good choice - the other 'new' bearings were trashed from the cam going flat. Got it all put back together and slowly (in between customer cars) put the interior, guages, and Ford explorer 8.8 in it. This video is running with that setup.

It was painfully obvious that there was something wrong with it - one, it had a wierd stumble (heard in video). Second, the converter was WAY too tight. I had an opportunity to sell the engine and trans AND stumbled across a 5.3L (L33) that had 'lifter noise". So, I did both - the engine out of the truck sold on the first day on craiglist and greenbullett had the L33 at his place, so I picked it up as well.

I got the engine home, got it on a stand and started tearing into it - I didn't want to put it in the S10 without checking out the alleged lifter noise problem. I tore it down to the shortblock and didn't find anything wrong with it. The bearings looked as if it were brand new (the exterior looked like it was in the bottom of a lake though). I checked each lifter and found nothing wrong. Ok, no biggie. Couldn't go any further because I didn't have a way to get the balancer off (my puller was too big, doh).

It was time to get back to work on my customer's car anyways. So, FFWD another week or so - I got a puller today, took it the rest of the way apart and found the first lobe on the cam to be pretty ate up. Ah ha, now it makes sense. No bearing on the cam/lifter problem - but this engine had Royal purple in it, the insides were spotless. Supposedly this came from a fleet vehicle, and that was supposed to be all they ever ran in them.

Transmission time - backup a couple weeks, I was looking on CL again, but this time for a 200-R4 core...and ended up finding a virgin powerglide core that was about 3 miles from my trans guy's house. That was a monumental feat in itself, he lives out right in the MIDDLE of BFE. The guy I got the trans from had it in a shed that was in the middle of a pasture! I was certain we'd find bodies out there or something, he was a STRANGE dude. Anyways, picked up the trans and took it straight to the trans guy's place and took it apart. It wound up bieng a virgin 1.76 low gearset and appeared to have never been apart. Score @ 120$.

Since the engine was disassembled, I ordered a re-ring kit (500$!!!) for the 5.3L and also got a 'brake, and some other misc stuff ordered for the 5.3L/powerglide swap.

Now for the good part, the pictures. For the first few posts (maybe just the first one, not sure) the pics will be out of order - I've been holding out on a build thread till I had some worthy material.

*engine already sourced - 5.3L
    *Trans already sourced - powerglide
    *induction already sourced - I have choices, 2 X 76MM chinese turbos (just like what was used in the car craft build), single T6 83MM, or a single 76MM.
    *I have almost all the tubing from previous kits, should be plenty enough to get me started.
    *Megasquirt III with datalogging, boost control etc.
    *Ford Explorer 8.8 with 31 spline axles and 3.73's.
    *Fuel system was already installed for blowthrough on the GenI sbc, I just need to change regulators to work with the Aeromotive eliminator pump and EFI. (Truck has 132002 on it now)

The truck before and after lowering. This is with multileaf springs and blocks, before the calvert springs and sliders were installed.

First, misc rear end build pics (more to come, or upon request). The calvert split leaf monoleaf springs and my custom made sliders.

Interior. Showing the C2 guages and wideband.

The 5.3L - looks like it came from the bottom of a lake.

I have a couple more random pictures...There's likely to be a mix of camera phone and then some halfway decent ones done with an actual camera. enjoy.

The old engine, GenI with Vortec 906 heads.

The truck after the cal trac and split monoleaf install. Also, note stock shock location sucks. I have a fix for that, coming up soon.

More of the L33.. first one is probably the 'lifter noise' they spoke of

Comment

Minor amount of progress tonight, nothing exciting - got the crank sat down in the block and pistons cleaned up. Hopefully by this weekend, the engine will be done or close to done. The only holdup now is time - we have to dyno a couple of other cars this weekend... a couple of turbomustangs.

In the upcoming weeks, I have to decide on what turbo to use, or turbos. As I mentioned before, I have a couple of the chinese 76MM T4's. As soon as I got them home, I took them apart to check them out. The only thing I saw that I didn't care for was the heavy metal balancing pieces that are in the tip of the compressor wheel, under the nut. (the look like 3 or 4 dots in the pics). I can't remember if I mentioend it above, I have an 83MM T6 Garret turbo that's pushed my friends car to 5.20's... that's also an option.

Enjoy.

Comment

I don't have much progress to report other than the new turbos came in. I sold the original ones posted above because they had huge .81 a/r turbine and a huge wheel. Their replacements have the same 76mm compressor, but a .68 a/r turbine and a much smaller wheel. Not sure how the 5.3 is going to like that..

These turbos came from the same vendor I got the last ones from, but they have a gold back plate, and metric fasteners this time around. Looks like they have some sort of serial number too.

Comment

So, fast foward to today - I'm waiting on my powerglide to be done at Mike's TrickShift, along with the converter. Should be done by this weekend, I hope.

Tonight, i'm putting the heads together (installing Z06 valve springs and cam). Long block should be together tonight I hope. Pics to follow.

Comment

I like the gold turbos, you big ol' pimp. hahaaa

What cam are you going to run in it? And what the hell happened to Rachel's hand?
            When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
              I like the gold turbos, you big ol' pimp. hahaaa

What cam are you going to run in it? And what the hell happened to Rachel's hand?
              It's up there somewhere, but it's a stock ol' Z06 cam and springs. The motor is 100% stock outside of that and a basic rering.

She cut her hand a while back, that pic is actually several months old.

Comment

looks like its gonna be a tight fit from the pic's.

Comment

Originally posted by 80coupe View Post
                  looks like its gonna be a tight fit from the pic's.
                  Nope...not with what I have planned.

Comment

Subscribed as ussual!

Comment

Originally posted by turbostang View Post
                      Nope...not with what I have planned.
                      Nice, cant wait to see it when its done.

Comment

Nice project. My dad had one like that when I was in high school with a 350. It was pretty quick and fun. I see your truck could use a paint job
                        Last edited by Mark Preus; 01-09-2012, 09:38 PM. Reason: Misspelled
                        1997 viper gts
                        1986 turbo mustang
                        1987 Buick grand national
                        1972 nova

Comment

^nice paint plug!!

Cool truck. I have a 2nd you can buy and put a nice motor in it!
                          Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Preus View Post
                            Nice project. My dad had one like that when I was in high school with a 350. It was pretty quick and fun. I see your truck could use a paint job
                            This will be what I use when the Mustang is taking a break.

LOL, this clunker won't get a paint job anytime soon - but the car might.

Updates coming in a few minutes...

Comment

Well, for some reason I thought I had more pictures than I do. Tonight, the only progress is getting the heads back together with the new (used, stock Z06 springs). I dug all of the parts out of their boxes, and got all the hardware lined up on the table ready for cleanup and assembly.

For now, this is it..

Comment

Working...
                              X