Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School me on the Economy

Originally posted by CNN
    -- Defying President Obama, House Democrats vote not to bring up tax deal he negotiated with GOP in its current form.
    I may be missing something huge, but isn't this a good thing?

Can the US really afford to "reduce" it's income and increase it's payouts by leaving the current tax cuts and extending unemployment? I am not of the opinion that increasing taxes is the way out of our economic dilema, but I think I would prefer this bill not go through.

Is anybody else ok with giving up the tax cut for now to avoid extending unemployment?
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
    -Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

From what I gathered, the tax cuts outweigh the unemplyment in this deal. Not all unemployment will be granted, only those that have been on it under a certain amount of weeks. I believe 100 weeks. So the people who have been on it forever still have to get off their lazy asses and get a job.

<----not an economist by any stretch of the imagination though.

Comment

Grab a pen a paper and sit down to watch this for 1 1/2 hours.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by tazz007 View Post
        Grab a pen a paper and sit down to watch this for 1 1/2 hours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCcM1YoU8zM
        My mind = blown

Gotta wonder how true it is though...so many lies floating around...
        "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."

Comment

Watching it now.

Comment

Originally posted by slow06 View Post
            I may be missing something huge, but isn't this a good thing?

Can the US really afford to "reduce" it's income and increase it's payouts by leaving the current tax cuts and extending unemployment? I am not of the opinion that increasing taxes is the way out of our economic dilema, but I think I would prefer this bill not go through.

Is anybody else ok with giving up the tax cut for now to avoid extending unemployment?
            Why would you want to avoid extending unemployment? The thing you need to understand is, this "extension" is not "more benefits". The current benefits have expired, and if get laid off and they don't extend the benefits' dates, then you have absolutely no unemployment to draw. You can't stay on unemployment long anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by StanleyTweedle View Post
              Why would you want to avoid extending unemployment? The thing you need to understand is, this "extension" is not "more benefits". The current benefits have expired, and if get laid off and they don't extend the benefits' dates, then you have absolutely no unemployment to draw. You can't stay on unemployment long anyways.
              You need to brush up on what is currently happening with unemployment. No one is cutting unemployment benefits completely. Unemployment needs to be a temporary benefit, not 2 years+. Extending the time frame IS more benefits since people can suck more funding from the gubment teet.

Can we get an IP check on this guy? I'm thinking he's one of those libtards from the other board just finding his way over.

Comment

2-3 years of "assistance" is no longer "unemployment". It's become "welfare".

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
                  2-3 years of "assistance" is no longer "unemployment". It's become "welfare".
                  It's not called "welfare" for these people, it's called a "career".

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
                    You need to brush up on what is currently happening with unemployment. No one is cutting unemployment benefits completely. Unemployment needs to be a temporary benefit, not 2 years+. Extending the time frame IS more benefits since people can suck more funding from the gubment teet.

Can we get an IP check on this guy? I'm thinking he's one of those libtards from the other board just finding his way over.
                    Nope. One of the hardcore conservatives/libertarians, actually. I just know how it worked for me, when I drew unemployment for 3 months. When my benefits were done, they were done. No ifs ands or buts. Luckily for me I found a job 3 weeks after they ended. But I had to wait until they passed an "extension" before I could even draw. Because the other ones had "expired". You have to understand that the timeline, and the money, are separate.

Comment

Nope. One of the hardcore conservatives/libertarians, actually. I just know how it worked for me, when I drew unemployment for 3 months. When my benefits were done, they were done. No ifs ands or buts. Luckily for me I found a job 3 weeks after they ended. But I had to wait until they passed an "extension" before I could even draw. Because the other ones had "expired". You have to understand that the timeline, and the money, are separate.
                      Paladin?

If the US Govt is in a financial bind two things need to occur. Stop spending money you dont have and cut entitlement programs. Either get to work, or get to your grave. Hunger is a great motivator.

Comment

Speaking of entitlements, how did all you guys get your internet entitlements back? I see that many of you have an early join date, and many more posts than you actually do. I certainly don't want any, even if I had made the very first post on the old site. I was just wondering.

Comment

Speaking of entitlements, how did all you guys get your internet entitlements back? I see that many of you have an early join date, and many more posts than you actually do. I certainly don't want any, even if I had made the very first post on the old site. I was just wondering.
                          Lollygagger's...LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
                            Lollygagger's...LOL!
                            Yup. it's Paladin.

I thought you said you weren't gonna come over here, pali?

Comment

Well Denny already covered this but I am under the impression that they are extending benefits for people that have exhausted what is currently available (1 year?). I'm not an expert on how the system because I have been blessed enough to not need it, but if I lost my job today and they didn't pass this bill my understanding is that I would have that same 1 year or so that people had 2 years ago...maybe I don't get how it works though.

I just don't see how cutting income and increasing payout can possibly cut the deficit...I'm guessing they are setting the next administration up for failure. They either have to keep paying out (to save face) and increase the deficit or cut benefits and look bad to those effected by the cuts.

Comment

Working...
                              X