My issues with Christianity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My issues with Christianity

I posted this on the other board a long time ago, but I thought I might post it here too. All of this was 100% written by me circa August 2009-

Many of you know that I attend a Christian University (Baylor). I had to take 6 hours of religion classes, and attend chapel every day freshman year under penalty of repetition. Through these tribulations, I have been pushed further away from Christianity than ever before... but mostly as a result of one single thing... I read through the entire bible.

Nothing will make you question Christianity and its "values" like a read through of the sacred text. It is amazing that people can even call themselves Christians having not studied the very foundations of their religion. Also, being a history major I have taken classes analyzing the effects of Christianity through the ages and how it has grown into what it is today. I have a list of points here that I do with people would comment on, and please, put aside your blind faith and respond cogently.

1. The Jews in Egypt.
    No. We have a spectacular record of Egyptian history beginning from its routes as one of the 4 ancient river bed civilizations. We have no record of a man named Moses, a series of plagues, or much less a massive exodus of people to the desert. None. Not a single tangible speck of evidence, and it would seem like this would be significant enough to include in history. Some speculate that this occured under the short lived hyksos period, but there isnt even evidence to back this up.

There is also no evidence of a massive group of people wandering around in the desert. You would think that a group of thousands upon thousands of people in the desert would leave some evidence of their prescence, but nothing has EVER been discovered.

2. God as a loving God.
    God killed more people than the devil in the bible. Many, many times more. He not only ordered the Diaspora to raze the city of Jericho and leave no living inhabitants, but also killed a huge portion of the jews. A portion of the people decided to cast a golden calf as an idol, so without hesitation god opened up the ground and killed thousand of people for a single sin. Pretty loving if you ask me.

3. Is god willing to prevent evil?
    This is an age old argument. Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? (Epicurus)

4. According to the Catholic church, we are all going to hell ('cept the catholics).
    Thats right, the Unam Sanctum issued in 1302 by Bonifice the 8th which is still valid establishes that the Catholic church (the most corrupt organization the earth has ever seen) requires membership to go the heaven. Well fuck, I guess most of the world is destined to burn?

5. Why do we need a "Savior"?
    God is all powerful, why cant we just be good unto him and be "saved"? From what I can gather it goes something like this- God says, "Im going to create man and woman with original sin, then I am going to impregnate woman with myself as her child, so that I can be born. Once alive I will kill myself as a sacrifice to myself in order to save you from the sin I originally condemned you to." Doesnt make a whole lot of sense to me.

6. Religion has impeded progress.
    Throughout the middle ages/Dark ages, the church dominated the political landscape. Kings constantly were at odds with the Vatican for control and to gain power. Here is a graph of how religion affected technological progress-

7. Picking and choosing.
    The old testament (which Christians tend to ignore) tells us a number a things that god wished us to do. We are to stone insubordinate kids, kill those who work on the sabbath, not have long hair (although jesus did?), isolate women on their period, not eat pork, make offers to god via fire, anyone with a "flat nose, or any thing superfluous" must stay away from the altar of God, etc... but thanks to Paul the Apostle, we can ignore all that stuff?? Which segways into my next point-

8. Paul the apostle.
    Sure you may know who he is. You may not know that he was a sentry named Saul who killed a ton of Christians. On his way kill or persecute some more, he had a revelation from Jesus Christ himself telling him to convert. He then took it upon himself to restructure Christianity. He wrote the epistles and basically rewrote the entire religion, telling us to ignore the old testament and its rules. Thats right, your beliefs are based on the credibility of some guy who formerly killed Christians. It was Paul and Paul alone who established that only faith in Jesus was enough to ensure salvation, and the Torah was a big chunk of baloney (Jesus NEVER aluded to this, which seems pretty damn significant).

I have many more points I can make, but have grown tired of typing. Maybe a few pics will suffice-

If I have offended you, I apologize, I am just looking for honest responses.
    Originally posted by lincolnboy
    After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

No offense (to set that aside first), but I'm guessing you approached your experiences in Baylor and your studies of the Bible in a semi-defensive manner. Most of what you posted is not what I received from what I read from the Bible. I actually grew up going to church every Sunday and that was about it for my family. We all half-assed paid attention to what was going on and didn't really put forth any effort into understanding anything. It was more of an obligatory visit than anything. During my mid-teen years, I ended up hating the task of going and eventually stopped. It wasn't until I had a desire to understand whether or not I even believed in God (or any god, for that matter), that I set aside time to really look into what the Bible said. Several times while reading, I played devil's advocate in my head to try and see both points of view as I read. Of course, everything about believing is faith-based, which varies from person to person. Everything just makes perfect sense and I have no problem accepting everything that is written in there. I even accept the fact that there are things that I'm not meant to understand. This is completely out of character for me (as most of you see with just about everything else we discuss on here). I wish there was a better way to explain it, because I would be shouting it from the top of my lungs for everyone to "get it." I honestly see why you see what you see from your perspective, but it isn't what I get from it. That is the beauty of this whole personal relationship with Him.

Whether you like it or not, each and every one of us has a personal relationship with God. Those of you who choose to not believe in Him, maybe question Him, don't know whether He exists, believes in another god, even partially believe what the Bible says or completely believes the Bible; we all have an individual relationship with Him.

His love to us is shown in many ways. One of those ways He shows this is giving us the gift of free will. We ultimately choose whether we accept Him or not. We choose how to live. We choose how to worship (if we do). We choose to ask for forgiveness, help, wisdom, comfort and salvation. It is all there for us as long as we accept Him and ask for it.

I can give my own point of view to each point you listed above, but all it will yield is someone else coming in and rebutting that, then another rebutting that response, arguing, name calling, etc.

In all honesty, it sounds like you're more against religion, rather than a personal relationship with God, which I am too. All these organized denominations of the "Christian Church" and other religions absolutely disgust me. Also using their "religion" as excuses to move their personal agendas are pretty repulsive.

It's almost too much of a battle to try and spread God's Word and Love when there are an overwhelming number of agnostics, atheists, believers in different gods and sheeple of bastardized translations of a clearly defined God.
    Last edited by Denny; 12-09-2010, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Unless you already have faith then reading the Bible would push you further away from understanding than bring you closer.

Comment

Originally posted by davbrucas View Post
        Unless you already have faith then reading the Bible would push you further away from understanding than bring you closer.
        We can both argue that point from our respective positions, but whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
          We can both argue that point from our respective positions, but whatever.
          So youre saying that if you objectively read the Bible it makes perfect sense and seems logical? Dude, I understand that you are Christian and part of being a Christian is believing in the unbelievable, but the Bible reads like a fairy tale...

Comment

O.P.,

This thread ran pretty well over there as I recall. I remember finding the pictorials (i.e. cartoons) rather foolish then and now, but all in all not a bad discussion went on whatsoever.

Comment

So youre saying that if you objectively read the Bible it makes perfect sense and seems logical? Dude, I understand that you are Christian and part of being a Christian is believing in the unbelievable, but the Bible reads like a fairy tale...
              Not necessarily objectively, but with an open, neutral mind.

Comment

Not necessarily objectively, but with an open, neutral mind.
                If you read many fiction books with an open, neutral mind it can be believable.

Comment

So, like I said, we can just go back and forth and nothing get accomplished.

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSo there ya have it. Nothing changes. Woo Hoo!

I've got faith as my foundation and you've got the lack of physical evidence for yours. Now, my question to you...

Since you don't have"proof" that God exists, do you have proof that He doesn't?

Comment

Fiction books can be read in the context of being superficially plausible, but they are not believable as is (in my experience) the Bible.

Comment

I just find it idiotic to completely rule out a Creator. That's just me. I must respect others' beliefs, as much as it pains me for some.

Comment

So, like I said, we can just go back and forth and nothing get accomplished.

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSo there ya have it. Nothing changes. Woo Hoo!

I've got faith as my foundation and you've got the lack of physical evidence for yours. Now, my question to you...

Since you don't have"proof" that God exists, do you have proof that He doesn't?
                        Silly question. Nobody has proof for or against. But common sense is all the proof I need.

Comment

I just find it idiotic to completely rule out a Creator. That's just me. I must respect others' beliefs, as much as it pains me for some.
                          I find it idiotic that intelligent people believe in fairy tales and magic.

Comment

Silly question. Nobody has proof for or against. But common sense is all the proof I need.
                            Me too!!!

Comment

I find it idiotic that intelligent people believe in fairy tales and magic.
                              Me too!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X