Tron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tron

Well since I was off, and I saw the previews for this new one, I picked up the first one to see how it was.

Holy shit what a terrible movie!! Why was it a big deal? Maybe the special effects were good in those days, but the plot was horrible, HORRIBLE. That shit didn't make sense. How can they make another movie based on this movie.

Why did they name the movie Tron? The character Tron really wasn't a huge part of the movie.
    Why would they make a big deal about Flynn coming back in this second one? The first one didn't really leave me wanting more of him.

There were strong religious overtones in that film. Watch it a few more times and see if some of the subtlety grows on you. I agree it is dry and slow at times, but overall I've always found it interesting to watch.

And it was never a big deal, actually. It was always a mediocre film that has become a bit of a cult classic type thing.
    Men have become the tools of their tools.
    -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by MOSFET View Post
      There were strong religious overtones in that film. Watch it a few more times and see if some of the subtlety grows on you. I agree it is dry and slow at times, but overall I've always found it interesting to watch.

And it was never a big deal, actually. It was always a mediocre film that has become a bit of a cult classic type thing.
      That must have blown right by me. I really didn't watch it looking for that angle. Maybe that is why I missed it. It was interesting as far as the idea, concepts and visual efforts that they made. The plot just made no sense to me.

Comment

Yeah, to the programs, the Users were something akin to deities. Flynn was a User, hence their reactions to him. Users create programs and give them instructions and whatnot. That's why the programs were surprised that he wasn't anything special, just another program as far as they could tell.

Tron was created by Allen to crack the master control program. Tron was a virus. Think of the master control program as Windows, and the guards, tanks and other things hunting for Tron and Flynn (and all rogue programs) as an antivirus program like McAfee. Flynn wanted to use Tron to prove that Dillinger had stolen his game designs. When he gets sucked into the computer world he is still giving instructions to Tron, interacting with the other programs, and what not, but it is characterized in a human way. His interface is direct, instead of through a keyboard with a monitor for feedback.

That was my take, anyway.
        Men have become the tools of their tools.
        -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Developers are akin to deities.
          Originally posted by Broncojohnny
          HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

The reviews for this movie have been brutal. Regardless, I think I'm gonna go tonight anyway. Maybe the 3D stuff will make up for it.

Comment

Originally posted by stinginstang View Post
              The reviews for this movie have been brutal. Regardless, I think I'm gonna go tonight anyway. Maybe the 3D stuff will make up for it.
              I'm going to see it. Seems seldom when Sci-Fi movies get good reviews. Most reviewers out there scored the English Patient high and that, to me, was a horrible movie.

<- Loved the first Tron....course I was a computer geek back then.
              Last edited by GhostTX; 12-16-2010, 04:31 PM.
              "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

I just re-watched the original, had not seen it since back in the day. I'll more than likely go and see the new one too. End of line.

Comment

Originally posted by stinginstang View Post
                  Sitting at 8 / 10 on IMDB. Very good, but not as high as I expected, especially for opening day. I'm going either way... Who's got the shrooms?

Comment

Rottentomatoes:
                    "Professional" Reviewers - 49%
                    Audience Reviewers - 83%
                    Sam (Garrett Hedlund), the son of famous video-game developer Kevin Flynn (Jeff Bridges), has been haunted for a long time by his father's mysterious disappearance. A strange signal draws Sam to Flynn's Arcade, and he is pulled into the same cyberworld in which his father, its creator, has been trapped for 20 years. With fearless warrior Quorra (Olivia Wilde), Kevin and Sam seek to escape from a universe that, while magnificent, is far more advanced and dangerous than Kevin had ever imagined.

Still gonna see it!

Comment

is this worth seeing?
                      Los Angeles Rams 11-5
                      Last Game - Loss vs. San Fransisco
                      Up Next - vs. Atlanta

2017 NFC West Division Champions

Comment

Gonna watch it for sure. I don't really care what critics say.

Comment

I liked it. Beautiful film in 3D. Worth the $3 IMO (or just get someone else glasses from earlier movie/show).

Simple, straight forward plot. I dunno what critics were expecting, but I enjoyed the ride.

Comment

I saw it in IMAX 3D. Definitely worth watching. My wife never saw the 1st movie but she still enjoyed it.

MOSFET nailed it on the religious overtones. The new movie built on that. In some parts Sam Flinn was looked on as a digital Jesus. I re-watched the original last night and religion played a lot more of a role than I recalled. You even had an ascension at the end.

I'll be happy to see it again when it comes out on blue ray.

Comment

Regardless of the reviews. I'm going to see it in 3D this weekend. I liked the original, so I'll give this one a chance. It's not Shakespeare. Just visual eye candy. Kick back and enjoy it.

Comment

Working...
                              X