legality - working on your own guns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• legality - working on your own guns

Any one have any good reference to types of work you could do to a gun yourself that could get you into the gray legal area ?

I'm not talking about the fucking obvious here like barrel length or OAL, or class 3 stuff, or manufacturing a gun. I know all those laws pretty well now.
    NO NEED TO COMMENT about the above.

I'm thinking the not-so-obvious stuff like what can be construed as constructive intent just because you are in possession.
    Not really sure I can think of anything that could be construed as constructive intent, but that's what i fear the most.

like modifying a trigger on a imported part, or the 15 imported parts rule (like that isn't confusing enough...)
    modifying a lower/ receiver?

serial numbers on certain parts or work that could obscure? need to add back to make legal on like a receiver only?

what's the freaking deal with shoddy engraving of serials on imported parts? WTF was the purpose of this?

Are there any no-no's you can think of when it comes to working on your own guns?

The only things that come to mind are mods to a gun of yours that would get it into a class 3 arena, which I'm pretty knowledgeable about now.

Originally posted by futant View Post
    Any one have any good reference to types of work you could do to a gun yourself that could get you into the gray legal area ?

I'm not talking about the fucking obvious here like barrel length or OAL, or class 3 stuff, or manufacturing a gun. I know all those laws pretty well now.
    NO NEED TO COMMENT about the above.

I'm thinking the not-so-obvious stuff like what can be construed as constructive intent just because you are in possession.
    Not really sure I can think of anything that could be construed as constructive intent, but that's what i fear the most.

like modifying a trigger on a imported part, or the 15 imported parts rule (like that isn't confusing enough...)
    modifying a lower/ receiver?

serial numbers on certain parts or work that could obscure? need to add back to make legal on like a receiver only?

what's the freaking deal with shoddy engraving of serials on imported parts? WTF was the purpose of this?

Are there any no-no's you can think of when it comes to working on your own guns?

The only things that come to mind are mods to a gun of yours that would get it into a class 3 arena, which I'm pretty knowledgeable about now.
    Sounds like you're getting a little paranoid. If I'm not mistaken the constructive intent largely applies to the construction of Class II/III weapons - like autos and SBR's. I do not believe constructive intent could be contrived from a bunch of triggers and other parts from kits. I do not think 922(r) would be applicable to constructive intent. You have to remove the parts to make your gun compliant, and you can reuse those same parts if you were to change another thing out on your gun so you should be fine. But like everything relating to the ATF who really knows.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

lol , yeah i probably am being paranoid.
      I can't think of anything that matters im doing, probably cause im just not doing anything that interesting

Comment

I'd say secrecy and silence is the #1 deterrent against ATF showing up.
        Originally posted by MR EDD
        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
          I'd say secrecy and silence is the #1 deterrent against ATF showing up.

Comment

Short barrelled rifles. Was a big thing with the otherwise benign TC crowd awhile back.

Comment

Working...
            X