Ex-Steelers coach Cowher 'open' to a return to the field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex-Steelers coach Cowher 'open' to a return to the field

Bill Cowher, seemingly unable to escape questions about a potential return to coaching, acknowledged Thursday that a comeback is possible.

"I'm open to listen to opportunities," Cowher told USATODAY. "I'm very comfortable at CBS. I'll keep all my options open. And I'll only answer those questions at the end of the season. I'm not going to comment on any hypothetical situations until the entire season is over."

Cowher amassed a 161-99-1 record in 15 seasons with the Steelers from 1992-2006. He led Pittsburgh to six conference championship games and two Super Bowls, including the team's 21-10 victory over the Seattle Seahawks in Super Bowl XL. Cowher is currently an analyst for CBS Sports.

"I am not going to go back into coaching, just to go back into coaching," Cowher said in September. "It has to be the right situation. And I don't know what the right situation consists of."

Cowher's wife, Kaye, died of skin cancer in July at the age of 54. She died in her native North Carolina, where the family relocated at her urging during her husband's final year as Steelers coach in 2006.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Come on Denver don't let this opportunity pass!!!!

Dallas will take him.

Fear the Chin!!!

Comment

Hahaha! Honestly Carolina could take him and they might just have the 1st pick of the draft as well...... Cam Newton maybe for QB of the Panthers next season?

Comment

I could see him fitting in really well at Denver.

Comment

Originally posted by papapepper View Post
          Hahaha! Honestly Carolina could take him and they might just have the 1st pick of the draft as well...... Cam Newton maybe for QB of the Panthers next season?
          he already went down that road with Kordell Stewart. he knows how it ends.

I honestly see him going to a team with a good talent base and then implementing his style.

He probably doesn't want to deal with a situation of uncertainty at QB. And that is exactly what you get at Denver, and Carolina.

Dallas is the perfect fit.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
            he already went down that road with Kordell Stewart. he knows how it ends.

I honestly see him going to a team with a good talent base and then implementing his style.

He probably doesn't want to deal with a situation of uncertainty at QB. And that is exactly what you get at Denver, and Carolina.

Dallas is the perfect fit.
            Dallas doesn't have any QB controversy? Kitna has won more games then Romo has this season! Besides I thought I remember somewhere it sayins Cowher would never coach the Dallas Cowboys because of Jerry Jones.

I really hope Denver gets Cowher if he really does come back. They could really use him right about now. Trade Teebow and stick with Orton he can win some games that's for sure and Quinn? What the fuck is the guy even doing on the roster, only god knows.

Comment

Originally posted by papapepper View Post
              Dallas doesn't have any QB controversy? Kitna has won more games then Romo has this season! Besides I thought I remember somewhere it sayins Cowher would never coach the Dallas Cowboys because of Jerry Jones.

I really hope Denver gets Cowher if he really does come back. They could really use him right about now. Trade Teebow and stick with Orton he can win some games that's for sure and Quinn? What the fuck is the guy even doing on the roster, only god knows.
              The Jerry Jones aspect is probably the reason why he won't come. I don't blame him for that.

And there is no QB controversy in Dallas. Romo is the starter, no if ands or buts.

Comment

The Jerry Jones aspect is probably the reason why he won't come. I don't blame him for that.

And there is no QB controversy in Dallas. Romo is the starter, no if ands or buts.
                I just like stirring up shit. I personally like Jerry Jones and think he has brought the Cowboys a lot of success as well as revenue.

Here are a few possibilities.... Dallas, Denver, North Carolina, San Francisco, Detroit, Minnesota

Minnesota won't get him because the players are motivated by Frazier and I see him staying at HC as well.

Dallas won't get him because of Jerry Jones. Plus I think Jason Garret will stay and be the HC next year.

Denver won't get him because they will still be paying Mike Shanahans & Josh McDaniels salaries next season.

Detroit won't get him because of how well Shwartz has turned that team around, the record of 2-10 is unbelievable they play like a team who should have at least a .500 record.
                Last edited by papapepper; 12-10-2010, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Bowlen should do EXACTLY what Mel Gibson called his woman to do so he can land Cowher.

Comment

Carolina or Denver. Dallas is out, but not because of Jerry Jones. Its because of Garrett.

Cowher has never publicly stated he would by work for Jones. If jones gave him full autonomy, he'd come here. But Dallas, unfortunately, already has their coach of the future.
                    Originally posted by BradM
                    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                    Originally posted by Leah
                    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                      Carolina or Denver. Dallas is out, but not because of Jerry Jones. Its because of Garrett.

Cowher has never publicly stated he would by work for Jones. If jones gave him full autonomy, he'd come here. But Dallas, unfortunately, already has their coach of the future.
                      Has your feelings changed at all on El Rojo jesus?

I have to say he at least is a presentable coach compared to Philips. I feel a little skeptical about how the whole team is playing and plays are being called. This is NOT the same team as 5 weeks ago.

Comment

Jerry Jones

Comment

Has your feelings changed at all on El Rojo jesus?

I have to say he at least is a presentable coach compared to Philips. I feel a little skeptical about how the whole team is playing and plays are being called. This is NOT the same team as 5 weeks ago.
                          I acknowledge and respect what he has done thus far. The play calling thing is fishy as fuck though. I realize certain situations dictate certain plays, but his top 3 plays have been non existent. Its just too fishy if you ask me. I really do think he was intentionally putting the team in a position to fail, and for that he should have been fired. Problem is, all Jerry sees is wins.

I get that not every coach is HC material. For instance, Wade. Great DC, bad HC. But how does a coach that can't even effectively manage one of the most talented offenses in the league, come out and change the offensive production overnight the day he becomes HC, if he wasn't doing it on purpose?

Comment

I acknowledge and respect what he has done thus far. The play calling thing is fishy as fuck though. I realize certain situations dictate certain plays, but his top 3 plays have been non existent. Its just too fishy if you ask me. I really do think he was intentionally putting the team in a position to fail, and for that he should have been fired. Problem is, all Jerry sees is wins.

I get that not every coach is HC material. For instance, Wade. Great DC, bad HC. But how does a coach that can't even effectively manage one of the most talented offenses in the league, come out and change the offensive production overnight the day he becomes HC, if he wasn't doing it on purpose?

yea, I really find it a bit odd. I see no delayed handoffs, screens on 2 and 20, the same play called multiple times in a row. Either he conciously decided to change his play calling to further help the team appear to be different, or he was calling terrible on purpose.

I don't think he purposely would do that, as he has a pretty competitive spirit, but worse things have been done to gain a position.

I still would take Cowher over Garrett, not even a discussion in my opinion.

Comment

yea, I really find it a bit odd. I see no delayed handoffs, screens on 2 and 20, the same play called multiple times in a row. Either he conciously decided to change his play calling to further help the team appear to be different, or he was calling terrible on purpose.

I don't think he purposely would do that, as he has a pretty competitive spirit, but worse things have been done to gain a position.

I still would take Cowher over Garrett, not even a discussion in my opinion.

It's possible that he saw the team quitting on Wade, and just followed in their footsteps to speed up the process, knowing damn well e would be the replacement. He could have been bitter after their success last year, as well. Because it was known by everyone that he was next in line. So when they went to the playoffs, he knew Wade would be back, which pissed him off I'm sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X