AR-15 build .300 BLK conversion question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AR-15 build .300 BLK conversion question

I'm planning on building an AR-15. I won't be getting started for a little while, but i'm figuring everything out now so that i'm all set with what to get by the time I start ordering parts. I've figured out a lot of it on my own (BTW this will be my first ever build), but I do have some questions. I've noticed a lot of people in here have a lot of experience with this, so I figured this would be as good a place as any to get some advice. I'm not new to guns, have had/do have a nice little collection, but building one on my own seems like it would be a lot of fun.

The main question I have is what exactly I need to get to fire .300 BLK rounds rather than the .223? I figure that there are going to be some parts that are built specifically for the .300 BLK rounds, but the places I was checking out parts aren't very helpfull when it comes to making an AR that fires anything other than a .223 or 5.56 NATO.

Other than that any advice on what brands ya'll have found to be better or worse than others would be helpfull also.

I'm really just building it for fun mostly. It will spend most of the time at the range, or out on our land shooting targets. I'll also be taking it Ferrell (sp?) hog hunting. I like my guns to be a little over-kill though, just for entertainment/show-off purposes. I already have all the hunting rifles I need, and a pistol whose only purpose in life is to defend myself and property. So anything new that I'm getting is just for shits n giggles.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
    .223 > 911

Pretty sure it's just the barrel that's different, DSA has an upper for 330 if you are wanting to stay cheap

Comment

^ what he said. Just a barrel. The brass is reworked .223 so it works with everything else. Been considering building a .300 myself.

Comment

Originally posted by pr1042 View Post
        Pretty sure it's just the barrel that's different, DSA has an upper for 330 if you are wanting to stay cheap
        I apreciate it, ya'll look to be right. I'm not too worried about going cheap. Since this will be more of a show-off gun i'm alright with spending a little extra to make it how I really want it. I'm thinking that I'll probably go with a 16" from Noveske.

.223 > 911

Comment

Originally posted by Marss View Post
          ^ what he said. Just a barrel. The brass is reworked .223 so it works with everything else. Been considering building a .300 myself.
          Everyone is doing it.

OP what is your budget?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk
          Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
            Everyone is doing it.

OP what is your budget?

Probably try n keep it under $2000. Of course the further under the better, but I'm kinda picky when it comes to stuff like this.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk
            .223 > 911

Comment

Originally posted by SouthernSVT View Post
              Probably try n keep it under $2000. Of course the further under the better, but I'm kinda picky when it comes to stuff like this.

That should be doable for a quality build depending on optics.

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
                That should be doable for a quality build depending on optics.

I'm torn between a non-battery red-dot, or just going with some iron sights. Don't want a scope, or restrictive red-dot though.
                .223 > 911

Comment

You can build a hell of a rifle for $2000 w/ optics. What exactly do you want?

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
                    Remember that barrel is going to set him back $450+ alone. My 24" AR set me back a little less than $2k, minus the Mark IV scope.

Comment

Very reliable with little maintenance (gotta be ready for the zombie apocalypse ), .300 BLK, red-dot or iron sights, 30+ round mag, verticle grip, all black with silver Noveske 16" barrel, double star skeleton fixed stock, mako group pistol grip, large pin trigger.

That's what i'm at right now, feel free to change my mind though. Ya'll are the experts, i'm just going on the little bit I know and what looks cool to me.
                      .223 > 911

Comment

Very reliable with little maintenance (gotta be ready for the zombie apocalypse ), .300 BLK, red-dot or iron sights, 30+ round mag, verticle grip, all black with silver Noveske 16" barrel, double star skeleton fixed stock, mako group pistol grip, large pin trigger.

That's what i'm at right now, feel free to change my mind though. Ya'll are the experts, i'm just going on the little bit I know and what looks cool to me.

To address a few things:
                        For $2000 you can build one hell of a rifle. (I think that's what my build ended up costing, and I didn't spare much expense, although I could have gone a few different directions. For pics, see the thread in the build forum.

the "Large pin" trigger is for some colt receivers only. All other receivers use small pins. Colt, Noveske, DPMS, etc.

The ARFX stock is made by ace industries. Doublestar is not something that is associated with quality, but the ace stock is a good piece.

That Noveske barrel is $455. There are a few very good barrels out there for less money.

Say you went all out:
                        UBR Stock 275
                        Noveske 16" 455
                        Noveske Upper/lower 275
                        BCG 120
                        Troy TRX Extreme 140
                        LPK + Timney Trigger 250
                        Misc (grips, trigger guard) 60

That's still a sub $1600 rifle. So that leaves you $400. That's get you an Aimpoint, Eotech or decent (not amazing, but very usable) scope.

Comment

To address a few things:
                          For $2000 you can build one hell of a rifle. (I think that's what my build ended up costing, and I didn't spare much expense, although I could have gone a few different directions. For pics, see the thread in the build forum.

the "Large pin" trigger is for some colt receivers only. All other receivers use small pins. Colt, Noveske, DPMS, etc.

The ARFX stock is made by ace industries. Doublestar is not something that is associated with quality, but the ace stock is a good piece.

That Noveske barrel is $455. There are a few very good barrels out there for less money.

Say you went all out:
                          UBR Stock 275
                          Noveske 16" 455
                          Noveske Upper/lower 275
                          BCG 120
                          Troy TRX Extreme 140
                          LPK + Timney Trigger 250
                          Misc (grips, trigger guard) 60

That's still a sub $1600 rifle. So that leaves you $400. That's get you an Aimpoint, Eotech or decent (not amazing, but very usable) scope.
                          Awesome, thanks for the advice. I'm glad you mentioned the trigger, as i was actually getting a little fuzzy on what the difference between the large and small pin triggers is. As far as the doublestar stock, i mostly just picked it for looks. I didn't figure that the stock would really matter which brand I pick, so I just got what looked cool to me. I like the skeleton look of the doublestar, and i preffer fixed stocks to adjustables. If i'm underestimating the importance of the stock, please let me know.

Around $2000 is more of the ceiling price. If I can build what I want for cheaper i'm all for it, but if it got up to low $2000's I would be ok with that. I would rather spend the extra to get something that will last, and is what I really want. Otherwise, knowing me, I would just end up getting what I really wanted later anyways.

When it comes to the upper receiver I like the smooth, simple look. I was looking at a DPMS Comp lo-pro, and liked the look of it a lot. With the handguard i'm still pretty undecided. I think i'll go with a free-float carbine length, but as of which one i'm unsure.

I think i'm going to go around and look at some red-dot sights in person. I just know that I don't want a battery powered red-dot, or something that will restrict my view very much.

I would like some advice on which stripped lower receivers are good. I don't really know the difference in the brands. I've always trusted bushmaster, so i was just kind of rolling with that, but I honestly have no idea.

Keep in mind if ya'll recomend things, i'm a pretty big guy. So a lot of the time, bigger is better, and i'm not really worried about weight too much. Thanks for the help ya'll have given so far, my vision is really starting to come together.

P.S. I was checking out the pictures of your AR, that is one hell of a rifle. Not real big on the long handgurad, but other than that i was pretty impressed.
                          .223 > 911

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the advice. I'm glad you mentioned the trigger, as i was actually getting a little fuzzy on what the difference between the large and small pin triggers is. As far as the doublestar stock, i mostly just picked it for looks. I didn't figure that the stock would really matter which brand I pick, so I just got what looked cool to me. I like the skeleton look of the doublestar, and i preffer fixed stocks to adjustables. If i'm underestimating the importance of the stock, please let me know.

Around $2000 is more of the ceiling price. If I can build what I want for cheaper i'm all for it, but if it got up to low $2000's I would be ok with that. I would rather spend the extra to get something that will last, and is what I really want. Otherwise, knowing me, I would just end up getting what I really wanted later anyways.

When it comes to the upper receiver I like the smooth, simple look. I was looking at a DPMS Comp lo-pro, and liked the look of it a lot. With the handguard i'm still pretty undecided. I think i'll go with a free-float carbine length, but as of which one i'm unsure.

I think i'm going to go around and look at some red-dot sights in person. I just know that I don't want a battery powered red-dot, or something that will restrict my view very much.

I would like some advice on which stripped lower receivers are good. I don't really know the difference in the brands. I've always trusted bushmaster, so i was just kind of rolling with that, but I honestly have no idea.

Keep in mind if ya'll recomend things, i'm a pretty big guy. So a lot of the time, bigger is better, and i'm not really worried about weight too much. Thanks for the help ya'll have given so far, my vision is really starting to come together.

P.S. I was checking out the pictures of your AR, that is one hell of a rifle. Not real big on the long handgurad, but other than that i was pretty impressed.
                            What I was saying about the stock is that the one that is listed under doublestar is actually made by ACE, and is a good stock.

How tall are you? I'm 6'5", and a carbine length handguard has me pretty cramped using the gun.

Comment

What I was saying about the stock is that the one that is listed under doublestar is actually made by ACE, and is a good stock.

How tall are you? I'm 6'5", and a carbine length handguard has me pretty cramped using the gun.
                              6'3 285 lbs
                              .223 > 911

Comment

Working...
                              X