Smokin' Sunday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smokin' Sunday

5 pound pork shoulder(picnic) and 2 racks of pork ribs.

I just did 2 racks of pork spare ribs yesterday...oh man were they good!!
    كافر

Originally posted by sc281
    Always better to be an Uncle than a Father. All the fun stuff and none of the expensive stuff.
    Originally posted by Trick Pony
    ...from what I've seen on here bcoop knows his shit when it comes to smoking meat.

Comment

What should I bring?

Comment

Looks good man.
        Why put off till tomorrow what you can put off till the next day?
        -Fred Sanford

Comment

Pulled the ribs off. No foil.

Comment

Not as barky as I normally like them, but I knew I was going to have a few picky eaters that I was going to be dealing with so I went lighter on the seasoning.

Comment

What temp were you cooking at? How many temp spikes did you have and how high?

Comment

230*

No spikes.

Comment

Man I am always wanting to get some pork spare ribs on the grill. My only problem is I have never smoked anything in my life. My dad does a hell of a brisket but it has been years and I never watched.

Say I want to cook some ribs with a wet rub, whats the best direction to take this thing?
                  Originally posted by Sean88gt
                  You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
                  Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder
                  You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtracer View Post
                    Man I am always wanting to get some pork spare ribs on the grill. My only problem is I have never smoked anything in my life. My dad does a hell of a brisket but it has been years and I never watched.

Say I want to cook some ribs with a wet rub, whats the best direction to take this thing?
                    Smoke them for a while, mop them occasionally...

I would apply a dry rub, smoke the ribs for about 3 hours @ 225-250, then mop them every 30 minutes or so for the remaining 2-3 hours.

I honestly don't use a sauce when I smoke ribs. I prefer to taste the ribs, not some sauce that covers it up. Some will argue that the dry rub will cover the taste, but that depends on how much you use. The more you put on, the thicker the "bark" will be.

The rub I used over the weekend:

1 cup brown suger
                    1/2 cup paprika
                    2 tablespoons salt
                    2 tablespoons black pepper
                    1 tablespoon garlic powder
                    1 tablespoon onion powder
                    2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (recipe originally called for 1 tablespoon, but I cut it back since other people eating can't handle too much heat)

Edit:
                    I also used a 2:1 wood mixture over a charcoal base in my 22.5" Weber. 2 parts Applewood to 1 part Mesquite.
                    كافر

Always better to be an Uncle than a Father. All the fun stuff and none of the expensive stuff.
                    ...from what I've seen on here bcoop knows his shit when it comes to smoking meat.

Comment

Originally posted by HOOCBB View Post
                      Smoke them for a while, mop them occasionally...

I would apply a dry rub, smoke the ribs for about 3 hours @ 225-250, then mop them every 30 minutes or so for the remaining 2-3 hours.

I honestly don't use a sauce when I smoke ribs. I prefer to taste the ribs, not some sauce that covers it up. Some will argue that the dry rub will cover the taste, but that depends on how much you use. The more you put on, the thicker the "bark" will be.

The rub I used over the weekend:

1 cup brown suger
                      1/2 cup paprika
                      2 tablespoons salt
                      2 tablespoons black pepper
                      1 tablespoon garlic powder
                      1 tablespoon onion powder
                      2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (recipe originally called for 1 tablespoon, but I cut it back since other people eating can't handle too much heat)

Edit:
                      I also used a 2:1 wood mixture over a charcoal base in my 22.5" Weber. 2 parts Applewood to 1 part Mesquite.

Thanks for the recipe guy!! I will try it this weekend

<=== been dying to make my own ribs, just didn’t know a good recipe for rub

edit: how far between the fire and the grill? I am thinking a good 4'' so not to scorch the meat but enough that it doesnt take 8 hrs to cook all of the way either.
                      You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
                      You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

edit: how far between the fire and the grill? I am thinking a good 4'' so not to scorch the meat but enough that it doesnt take 8 hrs to cook all of the way either.
                        Smoking is all about indirect heat, maintaining the temp, and penetration of smoke.

This is how I set my Weber up for smoking, except I have not used the upper pan. I might try it next time to see if it regulates the temp better.

Get the most out of your charcoal grill by setting up 2 heat zones, direct and indirect. This set up allows you to add wood chunks to the coals for smoke, to cook low and slow barbecued ribs and pork shoulder, and to better control your temperature. It also helps prevent flareups and burnt food!
                        كافر

Comment

Having the ribs 4" from hot colas is going to kill the ribs in less than an hour. You need more of gap, it's about indirect heat, not direct heat like you use with grilling.

Comment

Originally posted by Lone Sailor View Post
                            Having the ribs 4" from hot colas is going to kill the ribs in less than an hour. You need more of gap, it's about indirect heat, not direct heat like you use with grilling.
                            So rotate often huh? I understand a smoke box would be the best way however I only have a grill. I guess no ribs for me

Comment

So rotate often huh? I understand a smoke box would be the best way however I only have a grill. I guess no ribs for me
                              You would fair better with just throwing it in the oven.

But, how big of a grill do you have? No room to keep the coals on one side, and meat on the other?

Comment

Working...
                              X