help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help

I was at bass pro shop saw a Hornady lock and AP press.
    I had it in my cart ready to buy it. Then I found out it didn't come with dies or shelyplate. So I backed out.

I like that Hornady has a promotion if u buy an ap press you get 1k free bullets. Just don't know if I want to spend that much and still have too buy dies.

My outher option is the lee loadmaster 223. Found it online $210 figure with the extra $300 i'll ne saving I can buy powder primers. Bullets few outher things.

Long story short what would Hornady dies cost?
    Last edited by soap; 02-12-2012, 12:20 AM.
    sigpic🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Without my gun hobby. I would cut off my own dick and let the rats eat it...
    🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

rifle or pistol dies?

for the past twenty years, I have been using exclusively for pistol calibers (.45 ACP, 9x19mm and .40S&W) the Hornady New Dimension titanium nitride (TiN) dies and the separate Hornady taper crimp die

for rifle calibers, I have used nothing but Redding dies for the past two decades, but just today actually, I received my order of Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor dies (rifle 2-die set)

Comment

Originally posted by hrt4me View Post
      rifle or pistol dies?

for the past twenty years, I have been using exclusively for pistol calibers (.45 ACP, 9x19mm and .40S&W) the Hornady New Dimension titanium nitride (TiN) dies and the separate Hornady taper crimp die

for rifle calibers, I have used nothing but Redding dies for the past two decades, but just today actually, I received my order of Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor dies (rifle 2-die set)
      Sorry. 223 and 40 s&w and later 6.8

🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Comment

I would double check, but I'm pretty sure that Hornady press uses standard-thread dies so you could buy any brand dies you wanted, not just Hornady.
        Originally posted by Broncojohnny
        HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Almost all presses use standard 7/8" dies. You're going to have to buy your dies on any press. Only the Dillons come with one shellplate, but you still have to buy dies.

Dies cost like $20-25. And I wouldn't suggest you start with rifle rounds for reloading, it is considerably more expensive and difficult.
          Last edited by CJ; 02-13-2012, 09:25 AM.
          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
            Almost all presses use standard 7/8" dies. You're going to have to buy your dies on any press. Only the Dillons come with one shellplate, but you still have to buy dies.

Dies cost like $20-25. And I wouldn't suggest you start with rifle rounds for reloading, it is considerably more expensive and difficult.
            Difficult: as far case resizing? Elaborate

🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Comment

Originally posted by soap View Post
              Difficult: as far case resizing? Elaborate
              you need a case gauge, you need a trimmer, you need case lube, you need a decrimper, deburring tool, etc.

none of that is necessary for pistol cartridges.
              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

you need a case gauge, you need a trimmer, you need case lube, you need a decrimper, deburring tool, etc.

none of that is necessary for pistol cartridges.
                i don't mind the extra work. BUT you gave me an idea!!! i can start off doing pistol rounds like you said, meanwhile for the 223 i'll shoot factory ammo and save the brass. i'll accumulate 223 brass for maybe the whole year. by that time i'll have all the prep tools,

am i missing anything? THANKS,

🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Comment

Originally posted by soap View Post
                  i don't mind the extra work. BUT you gave me an idea!!! i can start off doing pistol rounds like you said, meanwhile for the 223 i'll shoot factory ammo and save the brass. i'll accumulate 223 brass for maybe the whole year. by that time i'll have all the prep tools,

am i missing anything? THANKS,
                  That is what I would suggest. Stock pile brass and then sell it to fund your reloading. That's how I do it.

Comment

That is what I would suggest. Stock pile brass and then sell it to fund your reloading. That's how I do it.
                    This. I have about 1000 45 cases sitting around I'm gonna clean up and sell soon so I can buy some more powder

Comment

Originally posted by bottlerocket View Post
                      This. I have about 1000 45 cases sitting around I'm gonna clean up and sell soon so I can buy some more powder
                      wanna trade those for some .40S&W cases?

Comment

Originally posted by hrt4me View Post
                        wanna trade those for some .40S&W cases?
                        Holy shit like I don't have enough of those already lol. But lemme get an accurate count of the 45 brass and I'll let you know. At least I'd have a use for the .40

Comment

You would have been proud of me. Our last match, (at the old blackwater facility that I posted pics up of) I did nothing but pick up brass in between stages. I think I grabbed about 1,000 rounds of once fired brass that day!!

Also, to the OP. Rifle reloading is much more intricate. And I'd say that if you are going to do mass 223 reloading, get one of these, they are expensive as hell. But if you can fork over the coin it sure would be nice:

I really want one after reloading my first 500 rounds of 223.

I suppose that if you didn't push your brass too much you could get by with one of these for all of the case prep except trimming.
                          04 2.6 KB'd Cobra!

Originally posted by Sean88gt
                          There is something about her that just makes my dick completely take over any thought process. If Russell Brand were on top of her, I'd fuck him just to say I pushed a dick inside of her.

Comment

Originally posted by slowyellow View Post
                            You would have been proud of me. Our last match, (at the old blackwater facility that I posted pics up of) I did nothing but pick up brass in between stages. I think I grabbed about 1,000 rounds of once fired brass that day!!

Also, to the OP. Rifle reloading is much more intricate. And I'd say that if you are going to do mass 223 reloading, get one of these, they are expensive as hell. But if you can fork over the coin it sure would be nice:

I really want one after reloading my first 500 rounds of 223.

I suppose that if you didn't push your brass too much you could get by with one of these for all of the case prep except trimming.
                            1000 cases depending on the caliber is worth around 35-50 bucks, or 500 more bullets for shooting!

Comment

1000 cases depending on the caliber is worth around 35-50 bucks, or 500 more bullets for shooting!
                              I always wondered where CJ got all his brass from when i went to his house. And as I look at my .223 brass I'm like where the eff am i going to put it all?!?!? Just stuff I've accumulated from friends,random range trips, and picked up brass at my range. CJ taught me how to do pistol and a few tips on rifle. But i've pretty much picked up rifle reloading on my own and it isn't nearly as easy as pistol. And loading a lot of .223 on a single stage sucks.

Comment

Working...
                              X