Engine rebuild cost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine rebuild cost?

How much is it usually run to rebuild and engine? No over boring, just a stock rebuild. Does it matter what size engine it is?

Where is a good trusted shop for it?

Comment

Whittens Machine in Lewisville told me $350 for my 5.0. Not bad at all if you ask me. That's for rings, bearings, block clean and machine work.

I decided against doing a rebuild while I had the engine out to do heads, cam, intake, longtubes, and clutch since my car only has 78k miles and the shortblock looked good after inspecting it. Whittens came highly recommended though.

Marcus
      '99 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L

Comment

Arlington Automotive machine has done me right. I just had them do the machine work for the 2.0 that is in my wife's Focus. The total came out to $750, but it was high due to the fact that it broke a piston, bent a rod & egged a cyl = .020 overbore, 4 new pistons, 1 new rod, polish crank, bearings, gaskets & head-bolts.

Comment

Try calling City motor supply in Dallas off of Harry Hines......citymotorsupply.com...
          Big Rooster Racing
          85' Coupe
          sigpic

Comment

Regardless of who does the machine work...check everything, people do make mistakes.

Comment

JimD is RIGHT! CHECK EVERYTHING!!!

Comment

Make sure all the oil plugs are in when you get it back.
                Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by mustgofaster View Post
                  Arlington Automotive machine has done me right. I just had them do the machine work for the 2.0 that is in my wife's Focus. The total came out to $750, but it was high due to the fact that it broke a piston, bent a rod & egged a cyl = .020 overbore, 4 new pistons, 1 new rod, polish crank, bearings, gaskets & head-bolts.
                  I'd make sure you replace the intake manifold on that thing! I get probably 200 a year with crap in the cylinders from previous engine failures on startup. Someone makes a screened gasket but I don't know who.

Comment

Awesome thanks guys. I am super novice with this crap... Got the engine stand, now just need a decent roller motor!

Comment

I ask because I found a 390 that says it needs rebuilt but has all accesories and pulleys... I am going to call this guy tomorrow to ask more about it. Hes asking 150, so itll need rebuilt I bet!

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
                        I'd make sure you replace the intake manifold on that thing! I get probably 200 a year with crap in the cylinders from previous engine failures on startup. Someone makes a screened gasket but I don't know who.
                        Yah... I've heard of a lot of people trashing a new engine that way. I cleaned the shit out of the intake, EGR & EGR tube before start-up.

Comment

Originally posted by Tannerm View Post
                          Awesome thanks guys. I am super novice with this crap... Got the engine stand, now just need a decent roller motor!

Depending on the bore, I may have a piston ring square you can borrow. I've got a piston ring filer, expander & compressor you can use as well, if you need em.

Comment

Ok so scratch the 390! Its beat to shit and i did some research on the conversion charge... Ill be sticking with windsor!

Comment

Working...
                            X