how hard is it to solder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how hard is it to solder?

i need to solder a couple of wires on the cobra and am not sure how to go about it. what all do i need to do it? is there anyone in or around mckinney that could help me out?

Its pretty easy and cheap. You ca get a soldering iron from lowes/hoe depot pretty cheap.
    Check out you tube for some how to's. You'll need a soldering iron, electrical solder(there is a difference between solders so make sure you get one rated for electrical), and some rosin for the tip of the soldering iron. Plug the soldering iron in and let it get hot(takes about 2-3 minutes), Strip your wires back and twist them together in line, place the tip of the soldering iron on the bottom of the wires to heat up the wires. The grab some solder and hit the tip of the iron with it until the tip has a shiny coat of silver solder. Stick the tip to the wirs and stick the end of the solder to the wires. When the soldr melts it will draw itself into the wires. Get you some heat shrink also. When the wire are cut apart you slid a piec of heat shrink over the wires. Once you finish soldering slide the heat shrink over the are wires making sure that the heat shrink goes over the insulation of the wire and then hit the heat shrink with a lighter. Heat shrink will shrink around the wire and your done

Comment

Its not hard, heres a quick rundown. Dont waste your time with pistol style irons, get you a pencil style iron and the highest wattage you can afford. You want a HOT iron or you will get frustrated quickly.

twist the wires so they are like this...

"Tin" the tip of the iron. Just put a bit of solder on it to help transfer heat to the wires better. Then put the hot "tinned" iron on one side and solder on the opposite side so they wires are sandwiched between. The iron will heat up the wires till they get hot enough to melt the solder. Let the solder flow into the wires. It will take more solder than you think.

When your done, remove the iron, let the solder cool and give it tug before you tape it up. BTW, I prefer shrink tubing and if you use it, you need to put a piece on before you twist the wires together and make sure its down far enough to where the heat wont make it shrink while you solder.

Comment

Comment

x2 please put some shrink tube on that.
          And Shepherds we shall be

For thee, my Lord, for thee.

Power hath descended forth from Thy hand

Our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.

So we shall flow a river forth to Thee

And teeming with souls shall it ever be.

In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti

Comment

i use the butane powered pencil style one from home depot. come with tons of interchangeable tips for cheap

RESIDENT ELECTRICIAN AND WIRING GURU!!!!

Comment

The best way is to crimp with a tube connector first, and then solder. Then you will have a much stronger connection. Cover with the shrink tubing like explained above and then you will have the best connection possible.

Comment

Originally posted by kidcapri View Post
                The best way is to crimp with a tube connector first, and then solder. Then you will have a much stronger connection. Cover with the shrink tubing like explained above and then you will have the best connection possible.
                Eh, just solder it. It's a freaking wire, not a swing set.

Comment

you guys think this would work for a small job?

Comment

Originally posted by 94mstng94 View Post
                    Eh, just solder it. It's a freaking wire, not a swing set.
                    Too funny I was just stating the facts. Will just soldering work......YES.

Comment

how are you supposed to solder it with a butt splice on it??

RESIDENT ELECTRICIAN AND WIRING GURU!!!!

Comment

I use a pocket torch to solder, works great, no cords, and small enough to fit anywhere.

I prefer to use solder with lead, and heat shrink tubing after. If I use tape, I always use 3M Super 33.

Comment

I use a Weller WES51 adjustable soldering station.

I've built a couple wiring harnesses over the past few days using LOTS of solder joints on Amphenol connectors. Its adjustable 350*F to 850*F. If you had more than a couple joints to do I couldn't imagine using anything less.
                          Last edited by Strychnine; 12-12-2010, 06:35 PM.

Comment

just remember always heat up the wire and use the wire to melt the solder. don't use the iron or orch to heat the solder.
                            Why put off till tomorrow what you can put off till the next day?
                            -Fred Sanford

Comment

Originally posted by RuStYpNuS View Post
                              how are you supposed to solder it with a butt splice on it??
                              They make crappy buy splices that have a little piece of solder built in. The solder melts when you apply a heat gun, and the built in heat shrink tubing does what it says it'll do. I don't like them, though, because they're easy to fuck up. He could be talking about some other implement of destruction though...
                              ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Working...
                              X