looking for new grill/smoker combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for new grill/smoker combo

looking to buy a new grill/smoker combo to replace my current worn out pos. Pics and Place of purchase would help too!

Bge

Comment

Tejas 2040 Smoker
      Last edited by bard; 02-27-2012, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Don't get a combo unit, they all suck.
        Originally posted by BradM
        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
        Originally posted by Leah
        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

^^^This. Buy a good smoker and a gas grill for the hot dogs and hamburgers.
          Why put off till tomorrow what you can put off till the next day?
          -Fred Sanford

Comment

Why do they suck?

Comment

if you just want to grill small items like a few burgers, etc. over charcoal, you can always grill over the firebox grate. That's what we used to do with a buddy's trailer smoker setup.

I have this one, and the firebox would be perfect for 6-8 burgers. That way you wouldn't be screwing up the smoking chamber with that much direct heat from charcoal, or chemicals from lighter fluid, etc.

Comment

that old coutry one is just what i am looking for! thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Back N Black View Post
                  Why do they suck?
                  Because every one I've seen is a cheap pier of shit, and don't do either very well. They tend to leak smoke really bad.

Comment

Well what horizontal smoker do you recommend for moderate usage?

Comment

Originally posted by Back N Black View Post
                      Well what horizontal smoker do you recommend for moderate usage?
                      Both posted in this thread would be just fine. I've personally used the one Silverback posted, and it's a nice smoker for the cost.

The one he posted is not a "combo", but can be used to grill in the fire box like he mentioned. Space is limited doing it that way, but I wouldn't ever put charcoal or wood in the smoke chamber.

Comment

For the price the Old Country and Texas Longhorn smokers at Academy are decent. They work a lot better if you do the mods to them.
                        I have a Longhorn and as it came from the store the smoke chamber door didn't seal perfectly, the temps varied a lot across the grate and vertically, and it burned a TON of fuel. It's got 1100 sq in of cooking surface in the chamber so it will hold a lot of meat.
                        I put in a diffuser plate, modified the exhaust to make it draft from grill level, and sealed the door with black RTV. Now it holds temps great, is very even temperature wise horizontally and vertically, and uses a lot less fuel.
                        Tejas or Lifetyme smokers are badass and don't need any modification. They are a lot heavier and better made but they do cost a lot more than the ones at Academy too.
                        I would also stay away from the combo ones as the ones I have seen don't work well for either purpose, but especially for smoking.
                        Atlantic Blue '00 - '03 Cobra motor and TKO600, solid axle, full MM suspension
                        Silver '01 Vette - D1 blown LS

Comment

While on this subject, any thoughts good or bad to adding a gas burner to the fire box to use for both starting and grilling burgers and such?
                          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Quality advice bcoop and trick...my main thing is smoking but I want the opportunity to grill on the side...so I'll never place charcoal in the chamber so I assume something like above would fit the bill...I'll check out the tejas...

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
                              While on this subject, any thoughts good or bad to adding a gas burner to the fire box to use for both starting and grilling burgers and such?
                              Baron,

The trailer smoker I've smoked and grilled on quite a few times at Nascar races is setup with a propane burner in the firebox, under another grate where the wood sits on top of it. It was only used for helping start new logs, or help stoke the fire. We never used it for cooking directly over the burner.

My only thought was like with a gas grill, you'd want the burner higher with a diffuser plate over it for heat distribution. But I don't see why it wouldn't work, other than it getter really hot being over your burning wood.

It really made it easy getting the fire started in the smoker early in the morning, and came in handy when trying to get the pit back up to temp when the drunkeness set in and we go forgetful

Comment

Working...
                              X