Cheap fix for more airflow from your A/C - Heater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap fix for more airflow from your A/C - Heater

I had a friend's Dad, who is a contractor, come to the house to quote a price on building a shower pan in my guest bathroom. While he was here, we looked at some other stuff. He noticed that the master bedroom addition was cooler than the rest of the house so he made a recommendation since it wasn't getting enough airflow.

The air intake for the AC/Heater had only a single air intake cut into the wall below the unit. He said go around the corner and cut another hole in the opposite wall, then put a grill over it. He said it should make a noticeable difference... And boy does it! The new grill flows as much as the original and now the heater literally runs for half the time! It is warming the rest of the house even better than before so overall hopefully it will even save some on the electric if the unit doesn't have to run as much.
    Owner of Titan Towing

We have your towing needs covered!
    http://www.titantowing.net
    -------------------------------

Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here to become a paid member!

Interesting. Does it work the same way if I were to add a third hole if I already have two?
    01 Turbo Miata
    96 4x4 Suburban

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
      Interesting. Does it work the same way if I were to add a third hole if I already have two?
      No idea? I would assume so if you're system is able to flow more air. I can definitely say that mine could probably use a third hole. Now that there are two holes the suction in noise is actually louder than before. Its just that swooshing air noise. I don't know the specs on it, but with two holes you can still suck a piece of paper into the vent from 1 foot away! This thing flows some serious air.

I can also say without a doubt, that there is a noticeable difference in the heating of the house. The house warms up a lot faster when the heater is on so this means the heater doesn't have to run as long. I'll report back in the spring when the AC gets turned back on.
      Owner of Titan Towing

We have your towing needs covered!
      http://www.titantowing.net
      -------------------------------

Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here to become a paid member!

Comment

sounds like the system was low on return....common for older homes
        81 LX
        82 GT

Comment

You should be able to test this easily in your own house by removing the grill on the intake vent.
          Last edited by Leah; Yesterday at 10:18 PM.

Comment

Vortex rear stand $75
            8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
            My goal in life is to not arrive at the grave in a well preserved body.
            but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

1990 Foxbody GT for that ass
            11 4 door
            13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

Working...
            X