cheap ballistic tip projectiles.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cheap ballistic tip projectiles.

I went into the local store and they have the z-max 500 ct projectiles for 56.00 per 500.

I looked on midway and they are 64.

Thats not bad at all for someone who shoots a v-max bullet. I say stock up on them while you can. I feel the z-max shit will only be around for a short time.

They are the same in .224 diameter right? I know the larger versions (.308 diameter) are the Amax's just have a different color polymer.
    "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

thats all the are. From what i can tell just green tipped v-max.

Yes the .308s look like amax's or the sst. but i dont think they sell the projectiles just factory loaded.

For the price i cant complain unless you buy in bulk and by bulk i mean 2k and above.

Comment

I've never used the vmax's I've always used Nolser BT's in .224 diameter guns. The Amax's on the other hand are damn good, I have some I'm ready to try out on pigs.

Comment

That's funny cause right on the box amax says not for hunting.

Not saying you can't kill with them, I'd just like to see more retention like noslers.

I use a maxs for paper only.

Comment

The Hornady loading manual says their good for up to medium game. I consider WT/Mulie's and pigs in that category. I've read several reports of them performing the same as most Nosler BT's. That being said I had very poor results with 284 diameter 120gr Nosler BT's this year, if the Amax's don't pan out Accubond here I come.

Comment

please read the last line on the a-max. This is where i got my info. Here are the best results i got shooting into sand.

they expand but the lead leaves the jacket. no retention very short penitration.

they look like these .270 i shot when flipped over.

Here are some noslers 165 grain .308

they expand and hold some weight.

Comment

Here is a better idea. They do just like these v-max do.

Notice the jacket and then the lead. They where found not intact.

Comment

Interesting I'll find my Hornady manual tomorrow and snap a pick of the chart where it lists up to medium game.

Looks to me they would perform a lot like a Berger is advertised to perform (secondary shrapnel after initial penetration), either way I was very disapointed with the Nosler BT this year absolutely no expansion at all. If I hadn't hit the central artery track in the neck the deer I got this year would have likely ran off.

Comment

After looking at those pics the Noslers don't seem to have performed any better than the Hornady's.

Comment

the noslers held more lead. The top half expanded but left the rest.

I wish i would have taken better photo's. If i make a bad shot i know the nosler is going to fuck them up. I had a few bad shots this year do to this.

notice the not so round hole. A shot at a does heart hit her ass and made a flesh wound. a follow up shot to the head killed her, but i was lucky she got caught in a fence.

I shot a few deer with the sst this year and it didnt do well either 150 grain.

I love hornady dont get me wrong. I use their reloading manual, all my loads except bigger game loads are hornady. That might change as well but ive got a few hundred more deer to kill with the noslers.

hell they send me free posters and stickers and shit from time to time. the only thing i dont use from them is their press.

Any way i hijacked my own thread.

Good luck hunting man. If you want some cheap varmit rounds pick up some z-max projectiles.

Btw ive also hit a coyote in the shoulder with a 55 grain v-max flesh wound. I still use them for coyotes as ive killed alot with them as well, plus my gun loves a flat based v-max for some reason.

Comment

Couldn't get a good picture of the chart in the Hornady manual, but it does show the Amax good on medium size game all the way down to the .243 diameter stuff. When you look up bullet descriptions it just says "excellent on thin skinned game as well " I find that a little odd since some people have different interpretations of "thin skinned ". Anyway sorry to hijack again just didn't figure a new post was necessary.

Comment

Not a problem at all dee.

Good luck hunting.

Comment

Same to you, it appears yours will be a lot better with a new base.

Comment

Yep Its back to Its 1/2 inch moa at a 100. Its amazing what a jacked up mount can do.

Comment

Working...
                              X