Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any pool leak professionals (or references)? Loosing 3-4k+ gallons a day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any pool leak professionals (or references)? Loosing 3-4k+ gallons a day!

Came home from work Friday and my pool was about 8inch low (vs. the level in the morning). Filled it back up, it drained down again. Plugged all the returns/Polaris pressure port, continued to drain. Figured it was the light niche, well, as you can see from the picture below, it has now got to just below the light. Must be the drain bucket seal (or the less likely drain pipe although I hear that is rare with gunite pools).

Odd coincidences. First one, I had a home warranty claim on what I thought was a failing pump (ended up being a clogged impeller). The pool guy who fixed it was very rough and was working on the pump while resting it on the PVC pipes. Next morning after the repair I come out and have a steady stream leaking out from right where he had set it. Been going back and fourth with the pool company and the home warranty company about this. Strange how 2 days later my pool develops a MASSIVE leak. (Note: my pump is 1.5-2ft above the pool and the pumps have not been ran since Friday, this leak is not the cause of my huge loss in water)

2nd odd coincidence: Just had the pool re-plastered in May 2010, had the drain replace while they were doing their work. Going to get in touch with the pool company as it seems that they were the ones who should have sealed it up. Not holding my breath though (any input here?)

I feel your pain. I bought this house last year. Pool was low when I bought it. Put water in and water would go out next day. Mine turned out to be the skimmer basket. Home warrenty doesnt cover in ground plumbing. I used a+b putty and its held all year. Yours looks alot lower than that good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by 2000 vert View Post
      I feel your pain. I bought this house last year. Pool was low when I bought it. Put water in and water would go out next day. Mine turned out to be the skimmer basket. Home warrenty doesnt cover in ground plumbing. I used a+b putty and its held all year. Yours looks alot lower than that good luck.
      Ya, skimmer baskets are staying full. We are having the plaster company back out to check the main drain basket seal. Said they'd cover it if it were the seal, if it is the pipe we are SOL (although from what I have read if it is the pipe most just seal off the main drain and use the skimmers for flow, works as long as you have a pressure side cleaner to stir the dead spots). From what I have read/heard it is 99% sure the main drain seal.

Until they get out I am burning through thousands of gallons of water a day, not to mention all my salt is gone

Comment

Can you get a plstic or rubber mat and put it over the drain so it blocks the water until it is fixed? Sort of like the old red rubber bathtub drain thingamajigger.

I remember my Grandma had a red one for her old sink, similar to this. Maybe a rubber floormat for a car???
        Last edited by yellowstang; 12-14-2010, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
          Can you get a plstic or rubber mat and put it over the drain so it blocks the water until it is fixed? Sort of like the old red rubber bathtub drain thingamajigger.

I remember my Grandma had a red one for her old sink, similar to this. Maybe a rubber floormat for a car???
          Great idea, they are going to come out today and check it out (or so they say), so hopefully I wont have to try to fish a mat in there cause no way in HELL am I jumping in!

Comment

Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
            Great idea, they are going to come out today and check it out (or so they say), so hopefully I wont have to try to fish a mat in there cause no way in HELL am I jumping in!

LOL, yeah jumping in would suck! Hope they make it out today and fix it up. If not, know anyone who scuba dives, or jet ski's in the winter, borrow their wetsuit, or ask them to do it!

Comment

Working...
            X