18" or 19" wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18" or 19" wheels

I've tried searching on corner-carvers for the school of thought behind which rim size is better for road racing, but I don't believe I'm using the right words for the search.

The wheel openings on 2005+ mustangs are huge, and I feel like the 18's won't fill it up properly. I have seen one (Vorshlags) street car/track car with 18's and they seem to look pretty good. The wheel they use is also only 19lbs. They also clear the Brembo brakes.

I've found some other 18's that I like that weigh 23 lbs, but I don't know if they'll clear the brakes or not. This wheel is also available in 19".

Wheel choices are a lot more abundant in 19" as well.

So, which wheel size is better?

Well, I had 18's on my 2011, and they looked like shit.
    For racing, I would run as small as possible before brake clearance is an issue, couple of reasons:
    Cost, rims and tires both
    Weight

Grassroots did a article, basically bigger wheels are slower, assuming you can run the same width tires.
    Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

I was afraid of that. Looks like I'll wind up with track wheels and street wheels.

This pic doesn't look bad, but tire size, back spacing, and suspension level would have to be perfect with any other wheel/tire combos.

Comment

My buddy Joe has a 302S (you saw it Tyler when you came out). And he is running the 18's with his big ass breaks. I will find out the specs for you.

I would do that. I know it sucks that you have to have a separate set of track wheels/tires, but in the long run, you will be better off.

When I was just getting into road racing, I had an 03 Cobra. I had a dedicated set of wheels/tires, pads and rotors.

The package I am putting together for you will address your comments on ride height, set up, etc.
        "Racing is life.....everything else is just waiting" - Steve McQueen

Comment

Originally posted by Snatch Napkin View Post
          I was afraid of that. Looks like I'll wind up with track wheels and street wheels.

This pic doesn't look bad, but tire size, back spacing, and suspension level would have to be perfect with any other wheel/tire combos.

http://vorshlag.smugmug.com/Projects.../DSC3358-M.jpg
          I had the d-force wheels on my e36 racecar. Nice looking light wheel that's pretty cheap.
          Ded

Comment

Originally posted by CYAZ06 View Post
            My buddy Joe has a 302S (you saw it Tyler when you came out). And he is running the 18's with his big ass breaks. I will find out the specs for you.

I would do that. I know it sucks that you have to have a separate set of track wheels/tires, but in the long run, you will be better off.

When I was just getting into road racing, I had an 03 Cobra. I had a dedicated set of wheels/tires, pads and rotors.

The package I am putting together for you will address your comments on ride height, set up, etc

I get a big ass, goofy grin every time I see you say something about this suspension package.

The rims I mentioned earlier are 18x10 with a 43mm offset. They weigh in at 19.2 lbs and cost about $300 a piece. They don't require a spacer unless you try to wedge a 315 tire on there.

Comment

My 18's were Enkei PF01's 18x9.5, nice wheels, just too small to look good on my '11
              Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

big wheels = BIG tire costs.

I am having a custom set of 17" wheels cut for me by Jongbloed that will clear my 14" alcon/stoptech setup. Actually, the 95 Cobra R's clear it as well and since they weight 25#, I am using them as my rain set..

The cost of having the wheels made will end up as a wash after buying a few sets of tires when comparing the 17" and 18" versions of the tires I run. The required Toyos in AI are over $100 more per tire.

The enkei RFP01 is a great wheel and is very light. my 17x9.5's are barely 16.2# and the Jongbloeds we have on my wife's camaro are a tick over 14#...hoping my new ones are the same 14#.

If the set of wheels is for track use only, who cares what they look like? They are going to get discolored, stained and possibly bent over time so buy the cheapest/lightest wheels you can find.

Also, the Vorshlag wheels are a great option. Good people too.

Comment

Robert, if you end-up running a seperate 18" wheel/tire package for the track/auto-x, let me know. I can get you some 305/35/18 Pirelli SCCA World-Challenge take-offs for cheap, if you can run a tire that large all the way around. I do have a couple Continental Tire take-offs from the Grand Am days that I believe are 285's, but I'd have to check. Let me know whenever you get your car or an extra set of wheels.

Comment

Matt, does it take a long time to get sufficient heat into those tires?
                    When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Unfortunately, I called off the order for the '13. I doubt I'll get an '11-12, unless I found an awesome deal.

Thanks for the offer.

Comment

Well that's a bummer man! Are the lighter 18 x 10" wheels you were talking about BBS wheels by chance?

Danny,

Two laps around a decent road course with a driver @ 90%+ will bring them up to sufficient temp. 5-6 laps would probably get them to max temp. It all depends on how much pressure you start with and what your intentions are. For example, in qualifying with a fresh set of tires, knowing you will only run 3-4 laps, you will set the pressure 3-4 psi higher than you would if you were running a 1-hour race. Also, the initial fall-off of both the Continentals and the Pirellis happens after about 4-5 laps. After that, the tires stay pretty consistent until they are down to the cords. The Pirellis are full-on race slicks, while the smaller Continentals are a little harder, have a shallow tread pattern, and not quite as sticky. For auto-x, these tires would last forever. For track days, you could get a few weekends out of them, if you don't flat-spot them beforehand!

Comment

Yeah, I'm pretty bummed about it, but I'll just take that down payment money and put it in a fox. LMFAO!!

The really light ones are by D-force and Vorshlag. I mentioned them a few posts ago.

The other ones I liked are by XXR (521 is the model number), but they only come in a 25mm offset.

I will be running the new 5.0, that is a definite. I'm not sure if I want to run a three link rear suspension or convert it to IRS. The only reason I'm looking at IRS is to balance out the weight of the car a little better.

My ideal goal is to find a wrecked '11 or '12 for all the parts I need.

Comment

Originally posted by MattB View Post
                            Well that's a bummer man! Are the lighter 18 x 10" wheels you were talking about BBS wheels by chance?

Danny,

Two laps around a decent road course with a driver @ 90%+ will bring them up to sufficient temp. 5-6 laps would probably get them to max temp. It all depends on how much pressure you start with and what your intentions are. For example, in qualifying with a fresh set of tires, knowing you will only run 3-4 laps, you will set the pressure 3-4 psi higher than you would if you were running a 1-hour race. Also, the initial fall-off of both the Continentals and the Pirellis happens after about 4-5 laps. After that, the tires stay pretty consistent until they are down to the cords. The Pirellis are full-on race slicks, while the smaller Continentals are a little harder, have a shallow tread pattern, and not quite as sticky. For auto-x, these tires would last forever. For track days, you could get a few weekends out of them, if you don't flat-spot them beforehand!
                            Pm me on the Conti's sir.
                            "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Working...
                            X