Front brake question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front brake question.

I have a 91 coupe, looking at doing a true 5 lug swap with 99-04 brakes. (dual pistion).

So if I get the 94/95 spindle will the 99-04 brake calipers work and mount up?

They use the same rotor, I was just wondering on the caliper brackets matching or what I would have to do to get them to work.

Thanks.

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

you can just bolt the 99-04 brackets to the earlier spindles no modifications needed, thats what i did when i swapped my 90 over.

Comment

Originally posted by butt86 View Post
      you can just bolt the 99-04 brackets to the earlier spindles no modifications needed, thats what i did when i swapped my 90 over.
      Awesome, that's what I'll be doing.

Did you notice a significant increase in brake performance?

Because the stock brakes blow dick, they smoke up, fade and don't stop worth a shit. That or the driver side will lock up..

Comment

I did the 13 inch route and love them. The Cobra booster is frosting on the cake.

Comment

Originally posted by garycrist View Post
          I did the 13 inch route and love them. The Cobra booster is frosting on the cake.
          From what year?

Comment

Stock Foxbody brakes SUCK! Brake upgrade is hands down one of the best things you can do and you can't go wrong with '94+ spindles and PBR / Cobra / Mach 1 / Bullitt brakes. If you convert the rears to disc get a proportioning valve.

My '92 is five lug with Baer track kit (Baer modified stock spindles) with 13" dual piston fronts and 12" single piston rears. It stops great and has excellent pedal feel. It's funny to think the rear brakes are now bigger than what was stock on the front.

Marcus
            '99 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L

Comment

My Vert has the dual piston calipers. stops very quick. Coupe has the 13" cobra set-up. works great too!
              Doug

90 LX Coupe 5.0
              90 7up Vert. 5.0

Comment

I used the 99-04 GT dual piston calipers with the 94/95 spindles.

There is a small part that you have to grind on the spindle to allow the caliper to line up. Very obvious when you have it in front of you. Doesn't take more than a few second with a 4" angle grinder.

Comment

I used everything off a '95GT including booster but not the master cylinder and I'm NOT impressed at all. from what I remember of my other FOX's with stock brakes they didn't stop half bad. so I really don't think I gained any stopping power. could the master cylinder have that much to do with it? I have a '95 Cobra booster and master cylinder sitting on the shelf. should I swap it in?
                  --carlos

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by projectPONY View Post
                    I used everything off a '95GT including booster but not the master cylinder and I'm NOT impressed at all. from what I remember of my other FOX's with stock brakes they didn't stop half bad. so I really don't think I gained any stopping power. could the master cylinder have that much to do with it? I have a '95 Cobra booster and master cylinder sitting on the shelf. should I swap it in?
                    '95 GT aren't much better than fox brakes. Still single piston calipers. 99+ GT PBR 2 piston brakes or Cobra / Mach 1 / Bullitt brakes are where it's at. Any of these will make a Foxbody stop MUCH better. Huge difference over stock.

Marcus
                    '99 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L

Comment

Originally posted by projectPONY View Post
                      IIRC, If you went with rear discs, the stock MC won't keep up the pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by 2cammer97 View Post
                        '95 GT aren't much better than fox brakes. Still single piston calipers. 99+ GT PBR 2 piston brakes or Cobra / Mach 1 / Bullitt brakes are where it's at. Any of these will make a Foxbody stop MUCH better. Huge difference over stock.

Marcus
                        so to improve what I have now I would have to switch to this: 99+ GT PBR 2 piston brakes or Cobra / Mach 1 / Bullitt

aside from the calipers, what else would have to be swapped out?
                        --carlos

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
                          IIRC, If you went with rear discs, the stock MC won't keep up the pressure.
                          I did. rear conversion was from the same '95GT.
                          --carlos

sigpic

Comment

with the dual piston PBRs you should just be able to swap the caliper(maybe the brackets- but I think they are the same) and grind a little on the spindle. to clear the caliper. The rotor is the same.

The Cobra/Mach/Bullitt brakes are all 13" front rotors and everything has to change.

Comment

PBR? Sorry but what's that mean?

The calipers on the GTs are the same as the v6, same part number.

99-02 have differant part numbers and are half the price of a 03-04 at AZ, they look exactly the same, the only differance is one is a darker color then the other. Are they made from a different material?

Comment

Working...
                              X