Garage door insulation ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage door insulation ???

Has anyone done it and maybe have pics? I wrapped my water heater with this. I was going to use it to do the door as well. I was reading up on it and one video says to spray adhesive and other video says to leave a pocket for condensation. My doors are the thin metal type. Was seeing on what you all have done or recommend on how to do it.

Which direction do your doors face? If they are North/South facing, it really won't do much to insulate them IMO. Your interior walls should be insulated enough to protect from the different garage temps. Now if you work out there a lot, maybe you would see some difference.

At our old house, the garage faced west, so it was brutally hot in the summer. I used the bubble wrap looking stuff, sprayed a bead of great stuf exapnding foam on it, and pressed it to the door. Stuck like a MoFo and made a huge difference in the summer.

Comment

Yea..it faces south. I kind of figured it might help a little in the summer and keep some cold out from the garage door.

Comment

A friend used styrofoam board and glued it to the metal panels with Great Stuff expanding foam. Looked really good when he was done.

Comment

Originally posted by S_K View Post
          A friend used styrofoam board and glued it to the metal panels with Great Stuff expanding foam. Looked really good when he was done.

That's how one of the guys at Lowes told me to do. He told me to put what I have on 1st,then put the foam behind it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rafa View Post
            That's how one of the guys at Lowes told me to do. He told me to put what I have on 1st,then put the foam behind it.
            I was at Nick Chapman's house when he did it. Ask him how well it worked.

Comment

I cut mine to where it was a tight fit, and used no glue. Yes, it helped greatly. But it still gets hot (no insulation in garage walls, or attic above garage), just not as hot as it used to be. Mine is a west facing garage.
              Originally posted by BradM
              But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
              Originally posted by Leah
              In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                I cut mine to where it was a tight fit, and used no glue. Yes, it helped greatly. But it still gets hot (no insulation in garage walls, or attic above garage), just not as hot as it used to be. Mine is a west facing garage.
                Did you use the styrofoam or the reflective insulation?

Comment

I used the RMAX R-5 Rigid foam board from Lowes or HD. I put he foils side toward the door. It made a HUGE difference.

Comment

That board?
                    2009 Chevy Tahoe LTZ

2011 GMC Terrain SLT2

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2

Comment

Foil backed styrofoam board. I used the 3/4", foil side out, then the 1/2 or 1/4" (can't recall) foil side in. So it's a double layer. Did it mainly for looks. Didn't cost that much extra. I think 3 boards of each did my entire door. I also used foil tape just in case on a few panels, but stopped. It wasn't necessary, and the heat made the tape bubble, so I pulled most of it off.
                      Originally posted by BradM
                      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                      Originally posted by Leah
                      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Has anyone done it and maybe have pics? I wrapped my water heater with this. I was going to use it to do the door as well. I was reading up on it and one video says to spray adhesive and other video says to leave a pocket for condensation. My doors are the thin metal type. Was seeing on what you all have done or recommend on how to do it.
                        The Relectix is what I used on my garage door that faces west and It worked good, the problem with non-insulated thin metal doors is you cant get a good "R" rating maybe 5 max by just putting insulation on them.Another thing to remember is the weight of insulation and you might have to tighten the spring to allow it open and close right. I just cut the pieces of the reflectix to fit with a razor and yard stick then used liquid nails(quarter size dab) in each corner and one in middle to get the pocket for the condensation. Doing that wont qualify you for the tax credit unless your insulate the walls and attic like i did since I rebuilt my garage.
                        Last edited by kdventura73; 12-13-2010, 09:25 PM.

Comment

I have 2 rolls left of the reflective insulation and didn't know if I should just put that on by itself or add the 3/4'' foam behind it. Looks like a lot of people are using the foam instead of this. I might go ahead and use what I have 1st and then go from there.

thanks ya'll

Comment

Originally posted by hunt4m3x View Post
                            yep

Comment

My garage doors (3 car that faces West) would get to 112*+. With 3/4" and 1/2" R5 and R3 foil backed board combined then foamed to the door it dropped to 88* on the door surface. It made a huge difference in there. Now with the A/C going you can hang meat.

I am insulating the attic above the garage next week to help hold the heat in.
                              Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Working...
                              X