Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlin Model 25 Redux

This is a current work in progress.

My dad has an original Glenfield Model 25 which we taught my son to shoot on. It's also the gun that he and my uncles learned to shoot on, and even my grandfather is supposed to have learned with. For Christmas a year ago I snuck it off to the gunsmith and had him go through it and get it back into safe shoot-able condition. There must have been 4 or 5 obviously hand made replacement parts in it.

Dad moved off to Illinois in October and took that rifle with him when he went because he loves to shoot it as much as we do lol.

So a couple of weeks ago I found a newer model 25 in the pawnshop by the house for $100 and brought it home. The stock needed a bit of attention and the outside of the barrel had rust spots all down it. Figured for $100 I may as well tear it down and have a shot at refinishing it and see what I can learn.

First some before pics.

Here's where I am as of today. I have the stock stripped down to bare wood waiting to be sanded. Hopefully it will dry a bit lighter color. The barrel, trigger, and sear have all been polished down to 2000 grit and rubbed with 0000 steel wool but still have some fine lines I would like to figure out how to get rid of. Have also gotten the magazine sanded down but it still has some big lines in it where I had to smooth out the spot welds. The bolt body is also smoothed all the way down to 2000 grit but still has lines to get rid off. This is a pic of the test fit of the re-assembled action and stock.
    Jon

Looking good. I still have my Marlin 25N that I bought when I was 16. My dad refinished it for me 10 years ago and it is a 50yd tack driver.

Comment

Working...
    X