Guide coat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guide coat

I've got a question for you guys who paint cars for a living, after I spray the primer can I go over it with a light coat of black spray paint to use as a guide coat after the flash time of the primer or will the two types of paint react with one another?

Spray paint should not be used. The chemical can react and it is a poor way of doing it. Your best bet is to get what is known as a "dry guide coat." It is a black powder that you can apply with an applicator over the primer. It is much more accurate and make less of a mess.
    Last edited by kennybo; 03-18-2012, 06:29 AM.

Comment

You can do it just let the primer flash off for a good while before you lightly spray it on there.
      1997 viper gts
      1986 turbo mustang
      1987 Buick grand national
      1972 nova

Comment

Regular spray paint will gum up the sandpaper sem trimblack in a fine mist coat will do the trick. I don't use a guide coat anymore cuz I'm so awesome....lol. The dry 3m graphite looking guidecoat is good also but I have always preferred The trim black spray can

Comment

Thanks fellas. I'm going to buy a small amount of black base that I can use as a guide coat and turn the gun way down.

Comment

Sem makes guide coat in a spray can. It's more of a dye and dries nearly instant. The powder is ok but can be messy. I had a healper spill some on the headliner of a saab convertable top(top was down). The headliner had to be replaced. $900.00

Comment

Shrewin Williams make a 2k primer that finishes out glossy. No guide coat needed. Low spots will stay shiny.
              One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
              X