Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A few pictures of hornady .223 projectiles.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few pictures of hornady .223 projectiles.

I dont have them all, but i have what most people shoot.

from left to right.

50gr z-max bt
    50gr v-max bt
    53gr v-max bt
    55gr v-max flat base

Truly a work of art.
    How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

whats the difference in these and a fml or hp?

Comment

Fmj dont fragment unless they hit something major. They usually keep on sailing.

Hp will expand as well as soft points.

I've just always used these ballistic tips. They explode and normally do not leave a exit wound.

I just wanted to post these up so people could see the differences between them.

The two 50's are exactly alike. One just has a green tip.

The 53 and 55 there is a major difference. My rifle likes the 55gr flat base, but i have not been able to work up a load on the 53's

Comment

Explode?

Comment

should of said fragment. Or come apart in a rapid fashion.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
              should of said fragment. Or come apart in a rapid fashion.

Gotcha. I thought you were talking about incindiary rounds. Didn't think those were available to the public.

Comment

Originally posted by The Geofster View Post
                Gotcha. I thought you were talking about incindiary rounds. Didn't think those were available to the public.
                They are, you can buy them.
                IMG_0424

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post

I've just always used these ballistic tips. They explode and normally do not leave a exit wound.
                  I thought the reason for Ballistic tip was to help a hollow point, just that they added more stability? Because of the point? Whereas a hollow point has the flat end? Could be wrong just thought that is what i heard? As when you remove the plastic tip it's just a hollow point under. The plastic just pushes in the hollow point on impact and it still mushrooms the same? Once again i could be wrong just what I always thought/read/told.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXRK5 View Post
                    I thought the reason for Ballistic tip was to help a hollow point, just that they added more stability? Because of the point? Whereas a hollow point has the flat end? Could be wrong just thought that is what i heard? As when you remove the plastic tip it's just a hollow point under. The plastic just pushes in the hollow point on impact and it still mushrooms the same? Once again i could be wrong just what I always thought/read/told.
                    For the most part that's true if It's the heavier hunting style bullets but the lighter varmint bullets will rapidly expand/explode due to their very thin jacket.
                    "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

cool thread. it still amazes me all the different kinds of .223/5.56 projectiles theyve come up with over the years
                      more time has been spent on trying to make this little bullet do its thing than any other, possibly in history? total, commercial and military its crazy

Comment

Originally posted by futant View Post
                        cool thread. it still amazes me all the different kinds of .223/5.56 projectiles theyve come up with over the years
                        more time has been spent on trying to make this little bullet do its thing than any other, possibly in history? total, commercial and military its crazy
                        30 cal is just as bad at one time you could get 55gr up to 220gr.

Comment

Id like some 80 gr for .308

I bet the barrels didn't last long depending on the twist.

Comment

I don't know, I think calibers that eat barrels faster have more to with overbore ratio of powder charge to bullet surface area. There is also a few that believe a longer neck leads to less throat erosion, like comparing 6mm Remington to the 243 Winchester but most shoot the winny since ammo/ good brass are easier to find.

Comment

Working...
                            X