Buffing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buffing

I've been wanting to clean up the paint on my truck for some time. there are quite a few surface scratches/scuffs that I'm pretty sure will buff out. Those are accompanied by a good deal of factory orange peel. My plan of attack is to knock down the peel with 1000 grit wet/dry then follow with a buffer. I've got some 3m microfinish compound, however, I'm not sure what to use as far as pads and polish to follow the color sanding.

It is a 2003 S-10, black in color. I think it is a single stage paint, if that helps. Also looking for recommendations for an economical buffer
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

buffing pad for the compound, sponge pad for your fine poilish, then wax. And good luck with the black.
    Vortex rear stand $75
    8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
    My goal in life is to not arrive at the grave in a well preserved body.
    but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

1990 Foxbody GT for that ass
    11 4 door
    13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

Originally posted by Txstang1 View Post
      buffing pad for the compound, sponge pad for your fine poilish, then wax. And good luck with the black.
      is black troublesome?

Comment

Is it the factory paint? Eithier way I wouldent wetsand it down and knock all the orange peel off without knowing how thick the paint is. It will be too thin and won't hold up to this Texas sun too much longer
        1997 viper gts
        1986 turbo mustang
        1987 Buick grand national
        1972 nova

Comment

yeah, factory paint. Would I be better off just buffing?

Comment

You might scuff over it with 2000. I always follow that with 3000 trizac on a da with an interface pad then buff with a white foam pad. The 3m 3 step system works ok. I have found that you can use the black foam pad second and use the #1 compound and this will take out 90% of the compound marks. You can wipe it with the #2 compound with a damp microfibre towel and your good to go. Sounds f....d up but it works.

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
              is black troublesome?
              Black just shows everything. After never owning a black vehicle, I now own two.
              Vortex rear stand $75
              8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
              but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

11 4 door
              13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

Originally posted by Txstang1 View Post
                Black just shows everything. After never owning a black vehicle, I now own two.
                Very true. It can't get much worse with all of the door scrapes and scuffs. Its paid for and is a beater project. I'll give it a go and see what happens.

Comment

I would never hit any factory paint with 1000 you might be OK with 2000, but only if you have worked in the business before. If I were you, I would hit it with 3000 Trizac and foam pads.
                  Originally posted by Silverback
                  Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

The 3000 will do very little by itself. It will take out a 2000 scratch for easyier buffing and not much else. It does work great for taking off light overspray. Take a used one and a squirt bottle and you can hand rub overspray off followed by compound w/ a wypall. Works better that the clay.

Comment

Any recommendations on a buffer that wont break the bank?

Comment

This is a good one personnel use only. On sale for 39.99

Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!
                        Vortex rear stand $75
                        8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**

11 4 door
                        13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

If you want to attack orange peel by hand, 1500 followed by 2000 would be the route I would follow.

For the experienced user, Meguiars 105 would work great to remove the sanding marks. You can use a variety of pads (i.e. Megs cutting, LC yellow etc.) I recently used Lake County's hydro tech pads on a green Audi RS4 that needed a few spots wet sanded; they performed very well with the 105.

Menzerna 106fa is a great lower cut polish that finishes out very well and does not require many passes to get great results. I use the Buff-n-Shine pads with 106 as they hold the product in well after priming and I end up using less product. 106fa on a white pad yeild great results.

If you can, get your hands on a Porter Cable 7424. They are user friendly than a rotary resulting in a lower chance of damaging your paint. You may also want to consider getting a paint thickness meter to determine the amount (thickness) of clear-coat you a starting with. You will also be able to check your progress so your chances of removing to much clear are reduced. Do be careful, however, as you can still induced holograms if your pant is moderately soft.

As far as LSP's go, Collinite 845 always enhances the depth and wetness of your finish so long as the paint is properly prepped. You will not be dissapointed!

Good luck, happy buffing, PM me with any questions!

Dylan
                          Last edited by Dlachance; 04-03-2012, 07:49 PM.
                          Detailing by Dylan
                          817-494-3396
                          Meticuloustx7@gmail.com
                          Ask about the Pre-Spring special

Comment

Just buff it without sanding, you'll be amazed how far you get just with that.

Comment

Working...
                            X