Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hiding the wires on fox, how should I rewire them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiding the wires on fox, how should I rewire them?

My dad is saying shrink wrap, I was thinking since there is only 9 wires that I had to cut, Blue connectors to splice them back together. What do you guys think?
    2005 M3 Vert with TSW rims
    2001 Dodge Dakota R/T C/H/I, gears, exhaust, and 125 shot of nos
    2012 Ford Edge

solder and shrink. Do it right and you wont have any issues down the road.
    Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Would harbor freight have something decent?
      2012 Ford Edge

Comment

I concur.
        sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
        17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
        13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
        86 SVO - Sold
        '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
        01 TJ - new toy - Sold
        65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

when your dealing with any wires always, sweat them and shrink wrap. butt connectors can come apart.
          One day at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by onjacks View Post
            when your dealing with any wires always, sweat them and shrink wrap. butt connectors can come apart.
            Thanks Scott. I thought I was going to have a day off to work on it.. Looks like that is a no.
            2012 Ford Edge

Comment

Just strip the colored shit off a butt connector, crimp, solder, heatshrink.

Comment

Non-insulated butt splice, heat shrink with mastic. No solder. Stagger the splices so you don't have a huge lump in one place.

Comment

Why no solder? I wouldn't trust a simple crimp.

Comment

If you have a good set of crimpers, butt splice is not a problem. Automotive applications vibrate, a solder joint becomes rigid, and can be a failure point.

Comment

I use a set of 150$ greenlee crimpers and still don't trust them. A solder joint in a butt splice is no more rigid than the butt splice without..?

Comment

The equipment I work on at work has all solder joints and it's a mil-spec application and go through environmental chambers for testing.

The factory didn't butt splice anything so why would you?
                        Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Originally posted by fitzwell View Post
                          Non-insulated butt splice, heat shrink with mastic. No solder. Stagger the splices so you don't have a huge lump in one place.
                          This approach will likely give the best results - both short term and long term. A proper crimp connection will last as long as the wire lasts. It is much easier for most people to make a proper crimp connection than a proper solder joint.

Originally posted by lo3oz View Post
                          I use a set of 150$ greenlee crimpers and still don't trust them. A solder joint in a butt splice is no more rigid than the butt splice without..?
                          Solder joints have a high likelihood of the solder "wicking" up the strands of the wire and creating an area where the solder bonds all of the wire strands together -thus the wire is essentially a solid conductor in the area of the solder joint. The wire will likely break (sometime in the future) at the location where the solder ends, and the stranded wire begins. These problems can be very difficult to troubleshoot, because they are usually intermittent faults.

Good quality crimp tools are essential to a quality crimp.

Originally posted by Z06killinsbf View Post
                          The equipment I work on at work has all solder joints and it's a mil-spec application and go through environmental chambers for testing.

The factory didn't butt splice anything so why would you?
                          The reason this process works so well for the equipment you refer to is because it is a mil-spec application. A skilled technician who uses a good technique and good equipment can produce high quality solder connections. Mil Spec stuff requires all three to be used (person, technique, and equipment) in order to meet the specification.

I think an application like field splicing a wire bundle is best accomplished with non-insulated crimp - on splices. Each splice should be crimped with a good quality (ratcheting type) crimp tool, individually shrink wrapped, and then the entire bundle shrink wrapped. The splices need to be offset so the wire bundle does not get too big (also keeps the crimp splices from making contact).

Hope this helps,

Tom

Comment

Damn people. Way to make a simple wire job seem overwhelming.lol. To each is own but solidering is the way to go IMO.
                            One day at a time.

Comment

Strip with your teeth, twist and tape with electrical tape

Comment

Working...
                              X