Primer Sensitivity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primer Sensitivity?

I'm going to load for an AR-10 build I'm working on, and a lot of people are saying that if I use a light trigger, I should be aware that I need a more sensitive primer. The popular opinion online is that Federal primers are the most sensitive. Should I just run with those? Would that work?
    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Primer should have no bearing on trigger weight pull. As long as your firing pin spring is good primers shouldn't matter.
    "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
      Primer should have no bearing on trigger weight pull. As long as your firing pin spring is good primers shouldn't matter.
      Good to know, but AR's don't have a firing pin spring. If this was for my bolt gun, I wouldn't even give it another thought, but some folks are having ignition issues with lightly sprung fire control packages in AR's, so I thought I'd ask.

Comment

I missed the AR part, what kind of trigger are you going with?

Comment

I missed the AR part, what kind of trigger are you going with?
          Most likely a JP or a Geissele. The Wilson TTU kind of caught my eye, though. This is going to be for a .260 build, and I want to shoot some Practical Rifle with it, if it matters.

EDIT: Specifically, I'm looking at this one: http://geissele.com/hi-speeddesignat...nrifledmr.aspx

Comment

The AR15/AR10 have a floating firing pin, they have no spring. The effectiveness of the primer strike is entirely dependent on the hammer spring, which is directly correlated to the lightness of the trigger pull.

Originally posted by Yale View Post
            I'm going to load for an AR-10 build I'm working on, and a lot of people are saying that if I use a light trigger, I should be aware that I need a more sensitive primer. The popular opinion online is that Federal primers are the most sensitive. Should I just run with those? Would that work?
            I can tell you that Winchester has harder cups than federal, and wolf has the softest of all cups. I had one go off when I was pushing a primer in once.
            "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
            "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I think you would be fine I bet where people have problems is with home trigger jobs that have lighter hammer springs.

Comment

I think you would be fine I bet where people have problems is with home trigger jobs that have lighter hammer springs.
                Sweet. Thanks.

Comment

I use the. Cci 450 mags since they are thicker. Works great if you have factory ar triggers, and reload the same round a few times.

Comment

i might be a little off topic but, i just noticed that when i was at the range. and range officer said cease fire, i dropped my mag and pulled back the charging handle to clear the breach .
                    and noticed the 'unfired' chambered round had a big primer strike....

is that normal for an AR rifle?
                    sigpic🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Without my gun hobby. I would cut off my own dick and let the rats eat it...
                    🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Comment

Yes the firing pin floats very common on semi auto service rifles.

Comment

Hey Yale, that Geissele trigger is awesome. I have one in my latest build and I must have dropped that hammer 70 times or more on my thumb (didn't want the hammer to smack the receiver) just to feel that light pull on the second stage. One word, unbelievable. I hope I don't have it set too light that it's unsafe. Just guessing here, but the second stage is probably under a pound.

It's an expensive trigger, but well worth it.

Comment

Honestly, now that I'm shopping for parts, I may just sell this lower receiver and buy/build a bolt gun. I thought I could get it done on the cheap, but it doesn't look possible now. Anyone want an LR-308 lower and parts kit?

Comment

Bolt guns can be done pretty cheap especially if you pick up a cheap Stevens action, my only bitch with those are that all the ones I've felt the bolt lift is crazy heavy which could throw a reloader off. I prefer the 700 for ease of finding parts used and new.

Comment

Bolt guns can be done pretty cheap especially if you pick up a cheap Stevens action, my only bitch with those are that all the ones I've felt the bolt lift is crazy heavy which could throw a reloader off. I prefer the 700 for ease of finding parts used and new.
                              I'm probably just going to buy the Long Range Precision Model 12 target in .260 Rem, then send it off to Sharp Shooter for a timing & truing job, and get the barrel threaded for a brake.

Comment

Working...
                              X