Playstation 3 Must Haves / Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playstation 3 Must Haves / Tips

I have heard that my parents bought my wife and I a PS3 for Christmas. I have problems with this because I think they should be saving their money, but I am not going to gripe about an awesome and thoughtful gift.

I haven't ever had a "real" game system (we do have a Wii my wife got before we were married) so I am looking for info. Mostly looking at what accessories, games or movies ect people have had good luck with, also any common problems and ways I can avoid them.

I probably won't be trying to hack/mod the hardware but It would be cool to read about what is out there. If there are quality alternatives to the brand name accessories that would be good to know. This is a huge treat for us because we are very strict with our money (saving up for a house).

I will be using it to play movies quite a bit, I typically play racing and sports games. I like shooters but I suck at them, maybe after owning a system I will have time to get good at one though.

I am reading PS specific forums (psu.com and PS3chat.com), just getting the DFW Mustangs take.
    Last edited by slow06; 12-15-2010, 03:30 PM.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
    -Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

All i use my PS3 for is Blue ray and now GT5 with steering wheel/pedals.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Comment

I occasionally take some time to look at the downloadable content on the PS network. There are some classics on there that you may be interested in playing such as Final Fantasy VII - IX for 10 bucks or so.

I just downloaded this last night for $10, my parents are still mad about how many quarters I wasted on this game in the mid-90s.

Comment

I like this DVD remote instead of using the regular controller... it's only $15.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CDMQ8wIwAg#

Since you like racing games, Gran Turismo 5 and a Logitech Racing Wheel are probably musts for you.

Comment

GT5
          MLB The Show
          Uncharted 2
          Batman Arkham Asylum
          How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

MUST HAVES
            iGrip (or FPS Freaks)
            PDP Real Triggers

God of War 3
            Uncharted 2

If you have a more than capable computer, get Batman on the PC and not on any Console. That game shines with Physx.

Comment

Metal Gear Solid 4
              "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

download and install ps3 media server on your computer.

stream movies and music to your ps3 from your computer like a boss.
                www.hppmotorsports.com
                ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

Playstation games:

Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas (shooter RPG)
                  Red Dead Redemption (3rd person western sandbox)
                  Grand theft auto IV with the 2 new DLC's. (sand box)
                  Metal Gear Solid 4 (spy/action)
                  Gran Turismo 5 (racing obviously)
                  X-men Arcade ( 1991 port from PSN)
                  God Of War 3 (action)
                  Mafia II (3rd person) action
                  Heavy Rain (suspense thriller game)
                  Dead Spaces (suspence thriller space shooter)
                  Dragon Age origin (RPG)
                  Boarderlands (shooter RPG)
                  Infamous (parkour sandbox)

DC Universe ONLINE is coming ouyt next month and is supposed to be BAD ASS,
                  sigpic

Comment

God of War 3 <--- IMO best ps3 game available.
                    Metal Gear Solid 4
                    Gran Turismo 5

Oh yeah and Madden

Comment

Originally posted by momostallion View Post
                      download and install ps3 media server on your computer.

stream movies and music to your ps3 from your computer like a boss.
                      I still need to try this, how do you actually do this?

Comment

Originally posted by bjtheman1 View Post
                        I still need to try this, how do you actually do this?
                        I know on xbox(I'm pretty sure PS3's way is similar), you open where it says media center in your ps3 menu, it should be on there already if your system is updated, and it will tell you to go to a certain webpage and it will give you a code. Now go to "devices and printers" in your start menu on your computer and the ps3 should be on there. Click on it, and it will ask for the password it gave you. Enter it to sync the system up. Under the properties it should ask you if you want to share media from your computer.

Comment

Originally posted by poopnut2 View Post
                          I know on xbox(I'm pretty sure PS3's way is similar), you open where it says media center in your ps3 menu, it should be on there already if your system is updated, and it will tell you to go to a certain webpage and it will give you a code. Now go to "devices and printers" in your start menu on your computer and the ps3 should be on there. Click on it, and it will ask for the password it gave you. Enter it to sync the system up. Under the properties it should ask you if you want to share media from your computer.
                          Sweet, I'll try this later today.

thanks

Comment

Go here....http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/downloads/list

Download "pms-setup-windows-1.10.51.exe " that's stable working one.

Install it and open it up...should look like this.

Then go to Navigation tab, which is where you tell it to look for your files.

If done right...on your ps3, you should see this under each section of the menu

give me a shout if you need help

I use this to stream my pics,music, and my blu ray collection
                            Last edited by Rafa; 12-17-2010, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Ok, well I tried it the normal way according to the playstation forums. You open up windows media player on your computer and there should be a tab towards the top left that says "stream." Click on it, then click on "more streaming options." Then change the network from "local network" to "all networks." It should show an "unknown device" which is the PS3. Just make sure it's allowed. It seems to work fine for me. Pretty easy. Much easier than the X-box.

EDIT: Also, you might need to go to your start menu and click on "Control Panel" then right below "Network and Internet options" it should say "choose homegroup and sharing options." Check the media types you want to share and check "stream to all devices on home network."

That should be it.
                              Last edited by jdgregory84; 12-17-2010, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X