Competition committee should revisit playoff re-seeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Competition committee should revisit playoff re-seeding

FORT WORTH, Texas -- Rich McKay, Atlanta Falcons president and co-chair of the NFL Competition Committee, said Wednesday at the league's owners meeting that he would like to see playoff teams re-seeded, with division winners not necessarily granted a home game.

McKay said that in the past, similar proposals have received upwards of 18 votes, but not the 24 needed by owners to pass a measure.

When asked if he believed the possibility of a .500 or worse team winning a division would lead to future consideration of altering playoff seeding, McKay said: "I hope so. I've brought it up twice and never had real success getting it passed. I think it something we should consider."

McKay said he has always supported re-seeding spots 4 through 6 based on record, but he realizes not all share his views. Several owners I've spoken to in the past about this issue believe there should be a significant reward for winning one's division, with that belief grounded in the traditions of the game and a desire to keep a focus on divisional rivalries.

"I don't disagree with that," McKay said, "but (re-seeding) is something we should keep talking about."

the seeding is fine the way it is. just because the rams, seahawks, 49ers might win the division with a sub .500 dosent mean to change it. its common that a wild card team with a better record will play a division winner. you dont like it, then beat them and move on
    Los Angeles Rams 11-5
    Last Game - Loss vs. San Fransisco
    Up Next - vs. Atlanta

2017 NFC West Division Champions

Comment

The 2007 Giants made it on a 9-7(IIRC) wild card spot. Guess what, they won the fucking SB, so shut your whore mouth Rick McKay.

Comment

agreed
        Los Angeles Rams 11-5
        Last Game - Loss vs. San Fransisco
        Up Next - vs. Atlanta

2017 NFC West Division Champions

Comment

My Saints could be 13-3 and still be the FIFTH seed. That said, the rules should remain the same. This year is a freak year for the NFC West. It happens but not often. I'll just have that much more to brag about if the Saints make it as a wildcard and still win the SB.

Comment

Working...
          X