Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

home theater floor speakers - recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• home theater floor speakers - recommendations?

I've recently upgraded my audio receiver. And now, I need to upgrade from my existing Pioneer floor speakers. Several years ago I spent a few hours in Ultimate Electronics (yes it was a few years ago) listening to Klipsch, KEF, Polk, and Infinity systems - most of which were pretty high dollar. The best sounding floor speakers for the money were the Infinity Beta 50's. It's been several years, and they are considerably cheaper now, however I can't forget how great of a set of speakers those were. My first reaction is to grab up a pair of lightly used Beta 50's. They were originally around $1,000 a set, now I'm seeing them for around $500-650 for a pair. Before I pull the trigger, is there any brands or models that have been released in more recent years that I might want to look into?
    Last edited by CJ; 12-15-2010, 10:13 PM.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

In the 1k range, you may want to check out the Martin Logan Motion 10 or Motion 12, or if you can find their ESL series used - those are really nice.

Automated Home Technologies in Keller is the only authorized dealer showing in the area. Magnolia / Best Buy carries some of their gear, but I think its their entry level stuff, which I haven't listened to.

This seems like a pretty good deal:

http://www.amazon.com/MartinLogan-So...6&sr=8-3-fkmr0

Comment

go see these guys www.toby.com
      pinto gt with wood trim

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
        I've recently upgraded my audio receiver. And now, I need to upgrade from my existing Pioneer floor speakers. Several years ago I spent a few hours in Ultimate Electronics (yes it was a few years ago) listening to Klipsch, KEF, Polk, and Infinity systems - most of which were pretty high dollar. The best sounding floor speakers for the money were the Infinity Beta 50's. It's been several years, and they are considerably cheaper now, however I can't forget how great of a set of speakers those were. My first reaction is to grab up a pair of lightly used Beta 50's. They were originally around $1,000 a set, now I'm seeing them for around $500-650 for a pair. Before I pull the trigger, is there any brands or models that have been released in more recent years that I might want to look into?
        I've never been "state of the art", so I like the idea of picking up some used speakers from someone who upgrades often. TV's and receiver's don't count (I always buy them new), but speakers, subs, etc. are fine used.

Comment

Infinity and Klipsch both make great speakers. I have a pair of Infinity Studio Monitor floor speakers from the early 90's (were uncle's) that still sound awesome. I think he paid around $1500 for them back then. To this day I still have not heard a cleaner speaker than those Infinities and they're still holding up amazingly. I use those for our main front speakers with Klipsch surrounds, which match the Infinity's pretty well.
          Whippled '06 by Gearheads - 474rwhp 450rwtq @ 10psi and a few other Borla/Steeda/BMR/CHE/Tokico mods...

Gearheads Dyno Video

Comment

Man I resently just purchased all new media room stuff.Very inpressed with the out come of everything .Hooked up to a Mitsubishi 73" dlp tv . I went with the following products:

Yamaha rxv-2065 7.2 recv
            Infinity 2 floor standing speakers
            Infinity 1 center channel
            Infinity 4 surrounding speakers
            Infinity 2 powered 700 watt 12" subs
            www.protechfencestaining.com
            Bryan Durham
            214-991-4979

Comment

Polk, Infinity, or SVS.

Comment

CJ, I wouldn't lie to you

Come over to my house and give mine a listen. For the money, you won't beat the sound quality! They aren't a "name brand", or a main stream product. But they are the best sounding speakers I've had. Everyone that's heard them, especially in my new theater room, has absolutely fallen in love with them! I just upgraded to their higher end line, and the sound is amazing! Still under your price point too!

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Chapman View Post
                  CJ, I wouldn't lie to you

Come over to my house and give mine a listen. For the money, you won't beat the sound quality! They aren't a "name brand", or a main stream product. But they are the best sounding speakers I've had. Everyone that's heard them, especially in my new theater room, has absolutely fallen in love with them! I just upgraded to their higher end line, and the sound is amazing! Still under your price point too!

Nick
                  Hey Nick, what kind of speakers are you using?
                  "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                  "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Working...
                  X