Holley carb, bad gas question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holley carb, bad gas question

With a recently acquired holley carb, I notice that the secondaries are a bit gummed, from bad gas/sitting.

Over all, the carb is in good shape, aesthetically, and could even be a newer carb, except it smelled like bad gas when I got it. I don't think it has been run in a while.

If I take the fuel bowls off for cleaning/inspection, will I need to have new gaskets on hand when I reassemble?
    Ronald Reagan:"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

Homer: "Bart...there's 2 things I know about women. Never give them nicknames like "jumbo" or "boxcar" and always keep receipts...it makes you look like a business man."

I'm pretty sure only if you tear one
    Big Rooster Racing
    1985 Mustang GT

Comment

Originally posted by barronj View Post
      With a recently acquired holley carb, I notice that the secondaries are a bit gummed, from bad gas/sitting.

Over all, the carb is in good shape, aesthetically, and could even be a newer carb, except it smelled like bad gas when I got it. I don't think it has been run in a while.

If I take the fuel bowls off for cleaning/inspection, will I need to have new gaskets on hand when I reassemble?
      barron, its me steve. carb was on my daily driver and got swapped with the carb i have now (mech sec) and then shipped the day after, all of the BRR crew can back me up on this, dont worry man, you are good too go it even had 93octane in it

Comment

Gaskets for those are cheap, so if you think you might need one, get it before you tear into the carb. It's not a bad idea with a carb in general to have a rebuild kit and the screwdrivers you'll need in your glove box.
        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
          Gaskets for those are cheap, so if you think you might need one, get it before you tear into the carb. It's not a bad idea with a carb in general to have a rebuild kit and the screwdrivers you'll need in your glove box.
          its a holley street avenger 670cfm

Comment

Originally posted by Damnittsteve View Post
            its a holley street avenger 670cfm
            Does that make the gaskets more expensive?
            ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

If the gaskets are blue, you might get away with not needing new ones
              http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
                If the gaskets are blue, you might get away with not needing new ones
                ^ This.

If they are brown, you won't know till it's too late. You can spray them with WD40 on the re-assembly, or even smear chapstick on them to keep them from sticking next time.

As mentioned above, they are cheap - I'd just plan on replacing them.

Comment

Working...
                X