reloading. where to start??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reloading. where to start??

i want to get into reloading but i know absolutely zero for it. i know i need a press, brass, powder and projectiles but that is the full extent of my knowledge.

what else is needed, what are good tools, and good places to get supplies?
    07 f250-family truckster
    08 Denali -baby hauler
    52 f1-rust bucket
    05 Jeep tj. Buggy
    livin the double-wide dream

One of the best kits is the rcbs.

I got the lee turret kit from cabellas. It works but the scale can be a pita. The powder dispenser works well but is limited, since you have disc with certian size holes.

Basics are
    Press
    Dies
    Scale
    A way to size brass to length.
    Headspace guage for the cal your working with
    Calipers
    Champher and deburing tool.
    Lube
    Brass
    Powder
    Primers
    Projectiles
    Powder dispensor.
    Book of loads. Most manufactures have some online as well. Still a good idea to buy the book of whatever projectiles you use.

I know I forgot some things.

Comment

What are you primarily gonna load for pistol or rifle? That can very your setup and which and how many tools you need.
      "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
        What are you primarily gonna load for pistol or rifle? That can very your setup and which and how many tools you need.
        Ild like to do both. Common rounds. 40, 45, 223
        07 f250-family truckster
        08 Denali -baby hauler
        52 f1-rust bucket
        05 Jeep tj. Buggy

Comment

If you're gonna want to do a lot of rounds which that's common on those 3 calibers get either a turret press or a progressive press. The down fall to the lower end kits from the major companies is they are single stage press only, not a bad thing but will take a lot of time to pump volumes of ammo out. That being said they are my preference for loading rifle rounds for consistency alone , but I'm the type of guy measure's powder twice and even weight separate my bullets, not something overly needed for your calibers unless precision is to be achieved.

Comment

I'm mainly looking into mass production. Not that I don't want precision but my main goal for now is producing rounds on the cheap
            07 f250-family truckster
            08 Denali -baby hauler
            52 f1-rust bucket
            05 Jeep tj. Buggy

Comment

How much do you shoot? If under 300 rounds a month a single stage or turret like mine work great.

Go with what you can afford. The more you spend the faster you can churn them out. For a rifle I still suggest a single stage, as your almost stuck doing it that way anyway unless you spend some coin.

If your reloading pistol I'd go turret or progressive for sure.

Comment

For cranking rounds out fast a Dillon can't be beat, the rifle rounds is where you will be held up the most since they require more brass prep.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
                  How much do you shoot? If under 300 rounds a month a single stage or turret like mine work great.

Go with what you can afford. The more you spend the faster you can churn them out. For a rifle I still suggest a single stage, as your almost stuck doing it that way anyway unless you spend some coin.

If your reloading pistol I'd go turret or progressive for sure.
                  not much. this is more for stockpiling
                  07 f250-family truckster
                  08 Denali -baby hauler
                  52 f1-rust bucket
                  05 Jeep tj. Buggy

Comment

Working...
                  X