Any Porsche guys on here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Porsche guys on here

I have always wanted a 944 and I have found a later model one pretty cheap. Anyone on here own one for any length of time? Are they pretty quick? I know they have good balance and all and can be heavily modified but just want some opinions. It has new timing belt, water pump, tires and all the maint done in the last 1000 miles. It does need some TLC though which I am good at.
    Whos your Daddy?

When I worked at the state park a man there at the age of 76 bought a 944 turbo right before he retired. The boost gauge at full boost was right below 2 bar and that car was pretty damn quick. It had a few mods but mostly stock, and a chip. It needed basic maintenance but was in damn good shape.

If I ever buy a porsche. It will be a 944 turbo, just for that reason.

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

I was under the impression that the 944 was the bastard child of the Porsches.

However, here's a good website.

Comment

Originally posted by Muffrazr View Post
        I was under the impression that the 944 was the bastard child of the Porsches.

However, here's a good website.

http://www.944central.com/
        Poor Man's Porsche is what they are commonly referred to. Or used to be, before the Boxster at least.
        Originally posted by BradM
        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
        Originally posted by Leah
        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
          Poor Man's Porsche is what they are commonly referred to. Or used to be, before the Boxster at least.
          Upon reading little tid bits from that website I found that the 944 kept Porsche out of bankruptcy. Then it died out due to cheaper cars that could perform close to the same, like the rx-7 and supra.

The 944 was selling for $40k!! In the 80's that would be a chunk of change.

Comment

Just say no.

Comment

There was a buyer's guide article on the 944 Turbo in the December 2010 issue of Hemmings Sports and Exotic Car that had a lot of good information. I'd gladly post up my copy of the article, but I don't have it on me right now. I'll have access to it at the end of the month though.

Comment

It would be my second beater and super super cheap so I figured why not. The LS1 conversions are pretty bad ass too and makes it a whole lot of car. Whats funny is most of it still looks fantastic and the fit and finish on the interior looks better then a new dodge. LOL JK. It is between this and a 240z and I have been studying up for a few days. It is not a Turbo but you can still mod the hell out of them. I think the poor mans Porsche was the 924 and 914 before that. These were kinda mid range.
                Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Your money will better spent finding a 80's 911.

The only problem is they have been going up in price every year. The non turbo models are still a blast to drive. I have not worked on them But it cant be that hard.

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                    It would be my second beater and super super cheap so I figured why not. The LS1 conversions are pretty bad ass too and makes it a whole lot of car. Whats funny is most of it still looks fantastic and the fit and finish on the interior looks better then a new dodge. LOL JK. It is between this and a 240z and I have been studying up for a few days. It is not a Turbo but you can still mod the hell out of them. I think the poor mans Porsche was the 924 and 914 before that. These were kinda mid range.
                    If you're planning on replacing the motor then I wouldn't be worried about it. The oil pans sometimes have a gasket issue and leak a little oil and the timing belt needs to be replaced regularly, but the transaxle is supposed to be bulletproof. The suspension bits had a few niggles here and there, but the problematic parts have probably been taken care of by now. And the electrical pieces actually aren't too bad for an 80's european sports car.

That's the jist of what I remember about the article in question. Don't be too scared away by anyone posting up in here before you find a little more information; I'm willing to bet that most of the negativity you'll read on here is a presumption based on what's been repeated over the years, regardless of whether there's any coincidental truth to it. Find out for yourself, I think it'd be a cool ride.

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                      . I think the poor mans Porsche was the 924 and 914 before that. These were kinda mid range.
                      That's a little more accurate.

Comment

I've turned into an Audi guy, which I hear is a gateway drug for Porsches.... seriously one guy in the local Audi club is now driving two turbo 911s.

If you want to ask people about Porsches you may want to try over there at the north texas audi group.

My 11 year old son's dream car is a Porsche thanks to one of the guys I work with now.

I'm thinking of getting him an old 914 or possibly an old 911 for us to tinker on that can be our car until he is 21.

Comment

I really don't know why but I have always loved the looks of the 928 an still do.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted View Post
                            I really don't know why but I have always loved the looks of the 928 an still do.
                            You and me both, I know alot of people hate those cars but I have always wanted a 928 for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted View Post
                              I like them too. Probably due to watching Risky Business as a kid. My friend has a pretty nice one and has done a bunch of work fixing it up. I guess they can get expensive depending on what goes wrong but I noticed you can get one in decent shape for pretty cheap these days.
                              Atlantic Blue '00 - '03 Cobra motor and TKO600, solid axle, full MM suspension
                              Silver '01 Vette - D1 blown LS

Comment

Working...
                              X