Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cowboy Offense

Interesting stat of the day.

Since week 10, when Garrett took over, the Cowboys have the THIRD highest scoring offense with 32PPG.

I took a lot of criticism for my comments about Garrett either 'giving up', or intentionally calling plays that didn't put them in a position to win. Anyone of my critics want to offer a reasonable explanation for this?

If you've watched the games, Garrett did a LOT of "let's run the same play two or three times in a row". His playboook seemed to have consisted of no more than 10 plays.

Delayed draw
    Delayed draw from the gun
    Bubble screen left
    Bubble screen right
    Miles Austin post route
    TE slant
    And a few others.

Virtually all have disappeared since his takeover. That is obvious, and fact. Now, he has said he made adjustments for Kitna. Which he has. But the running plays have changed too. They have more variety of passing routes. Running the reverse, etc.
    Originally posted by BradM
    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
    Originally posted by Leah
    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Prove Garrett was the one calling the plays before, or now for that matter, and not Jerry Jones.

Comment

what good is having an offensive coordinator if your not going to use him, Im with Bcoop on this one I think Wade got severely hosed

Comment

Originally posted by Lone Sailor View Post
        Prove Garrett was the one calling the plays before, or now for that matter, and not Jerry Jones.
        Really? Jerry calling plays from the suite? How could he, the camera is always on him. Why have an OC that isn't calling the plays? Why would JG have turned down head coaching jobs to stay here, and not call plays? He could have been the head friggin coach! In Atlanta, or Baltimore! When that is the ultimate goal, why stay to be a puppet?

The entire approach has changed. Except defense, that shit is the same and it's too simple. I did see a corner blitz last week, which they hardly ever do.
        Last edited by bcoop; 12-16-2010, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by krazy kris View Post
          what good is having an offensive coordinator if your not going to use him, Im with Bcoop on this one I think Wade got severely hosed
          What good is having a head coach if Jerry Jones is going to call all the shots?

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
            Really? Jerry calling plays from the suite? How could he, the camera is always on him.

The entire approach has changed. Except defense, that shit is the same and it's too simple. I did see a corner blitz last week, which they hardly ever do.
            It's called telling Garrett what to do before the game and then Garrett executes it with precision. Why is it so easy for you to dismiss that as an option if you're on the "Garrett himself was trying to set Wade up failure" bandwagon? Is it really that much different to wonder if Jerry himself helped set Wade up for failure? I think not.

Comment

I dont know that he was actually throwing games or anything, but I am sure that his playcalling has changed now that something for him is actually on the line... before it was more or less just waiting Wade out now he has to fight for his spot, so I think a lot of the stupid play-calling went away finally.

Comment

Originally posted by Lone Sailor View Post
                It's called telling Garrett what to do before the game and then Garrett executes it with precision. Why is it so easy for you to dismiss that as an option if you're on the "Garrett himself was trying to set Wade up failure" bandwagon? Is it really that much different to wonder if Jerry himself helped set Wade up for failure? I think not.

See my edit about Garrett.

Keep it coming though. I'm looking for opinions. Something.... ANYTHING to explain it. It pisses me off, actually. And I know the team giving up is part of it. And that pisses me off, too. But there is more to it than that. A whole lot more.

Comment

The whole team wanted Wade gone IMO not just jones and Garret

Comment

I think the biggest explanation is that we just are not as good as we thought we were going to be, Our offensive line is abysmal(we knew this going in) which in turn has made our running game pretty much non-existant.

Our receiving core has been rattled with injuries and has been inconsistent at best, which had lots to do with being thrown a curveball with Romo going down. I dont care who you are you do not build chemistry overnight.

Our secondary, some games I forget we even have one. We get burned for more deep plays than I thought possible. And we all have known about our issues at safety since the institution of the horse-collar rule.

Linebackers...we are dealing with inconsistent aging players and injuries to our rookies stunting their growth. Granted Brooking is invaluable for the vocal leadership he brings to the team.

D-Line - You havent heard much about them this year mainly because teams jst double and triple Ware because everyone else is playing like they have a madden rating of 50.

Special Teams....dont even get me started, with the exception of Dez and Brian McCann we are absolutely HORRID on special teams. We consistently took ourselves out of games early in the year by allowing huge returns. This has gotten better but now we have no return threat haha

Kicking - Buehler is slowly maturing into a consistent field goal kicker but it seems that his kickoffs have suffered as he hasnt even gotten close to as many touchbacks this year and we could have used a TON of those earlier in the year.

Punting - we a pretty good here

Basically what I am trying to say is that I dont really think it was Garrett throwing games. Many of the plays you are refering to worked like a charm last year! I think it was in HUGE part to inconsistency. When our offense was on early in the year the Defense couldnt stop a grandma running up the middle. and when our defense was putting the hurt of foold our offense couldnt get a 1st down if their life depended on it. We have the Star Power, but we dont have the key people in place. When putting this team together Jerry forgot about the small details...the Blindside, the fullback to lead the way for the RB, the ball hawk FS to take some of the heat off our corners, Good Special teams players to be able to make a stop when we needed it late in the game after taking the lead.

This is what IMO is wrong with the Dallas Cowboys. Still a fan for life

Comment

Us Skins fans will miss Wade... LOL

Check out the last part of this cartoon...
                      http://www.bangcartoon.com/2010/2minute_warning.htm

Comment

wait a minute, Brent, why are you pissed off? Wade is gone, and that is always a step in the right direction.

are you pissed because you feel cheated yourself? Being a Cowboys fan you have lost a whole season because you think Garrett through it for his own personal gain?

I guess I can see that angle, but in the end, it is only ONE season. Granted a pretty big one with the Super Bowl being here and all, but at least we don't have to deal with Wade for another 3 years. If you want, you can thank Garrett for that, if you really are going to be mr. tinfoil hat on the whole subject.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                          wait a minute, Brent, why are you pissed off? Wade is gone, and that is always a step in the right direction.

are you pissed because you feel cheated yourself? Being a Cowboys fan you have lost a whole season because you think Garrett through it for his own personal gain?

I guess I can see that angle, but in the end, it is only ONE season. Granted a pretty big one with the Super Bowl being here and all, but at least we don't have to deal with Wade for another 3 years. If you want, you can thank Garrett for that, if you really are going to be mr. tinfoil hat on the whole subject.
                          Because its bullshit for players, and a coach, for that matter to give up on their coach. These guys are supposed to be professionals. And they just flat out quit? It just doesn't sit well with me.

Again, I'm just looking for an explanation. How you go from damn near dead last, to third in scoring. Same guy calling the plays. But it's far from the same plays being run.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                            Because its bullshit for players, and a coach, for that matter to give up on their coach. These guys are supposed to be professionals. And they just flat out quit? It just doesn't sit well with me.

Again, I'm just looking for an explanation. How you go from damn near dead last, to third in scoring. Same guy calling the plays. But it's far from the same plays being run.
                            I think you are missing the human aspect of the whole thing. Sometimes motivation comes in different ways. I really think what happened was they lost 3 or 4 games and the whole thing snowballed out of control and no one knew how to get anyone to right the ship. Wade being fired was just a reset, and the pressure was off since they were pretty much out of the playoffs.

Pressure is a funny thing. You can crumble under it when there is too much. You can thrive when you have none.

The latter is what is occurring.

That and all these guys know their butts are on the line now and no one is safe from being cut.

Comment

Working...
                            X