Private Party Handgun Sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Private Party Handgun Sale

Im 19 years old and a TX resident, can I legally purchase a handgun in a Private Party sale? I know you have to be 21 to purchase a handgun from a FFL holder but you only have to be 18 to possess a handgun in TX. Just confused. Thanks

no

god bless.
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

I'll sell you a handgun

when you turn 21.
      Ded

Comment

You may be able to buy a crossbow from Academy
        WRX

Comment

So then why is the legal age to possess a handgun in TX 18? You cant buy one till your 21 but you can own one at 18 without any felony convictions that doesnt make any sense you would think TX would revise that somehow. I was told that you can purchase a handgun from only a private sale when 18 and 21 if from a FFL dealer. Maybe the guy didnt know what he was talkn about.

Comment

Originally posted by JRR1979 View Post
            So then why is the legal age to possess a handgun in TX 18? You cant buy one till your 21 but you can own one at 18 without any felony convictions that doesnt make any sense you would think TX would revise that somehow. I was told that you can purchase a handgun from only a private sale when 18 and 21 if from a FFL dealer. Maybe the guy didnt know what he was talkn about.
            Because your parents can buy you one, so someone over 21 is still making the decision. Wait and save your pennies.
            ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

You can own lots of things at 18 that can't be bought from dealers until you're 21. I bought plenty of pistols at 18 from individuals and gifted plenty also.

Comment

Ok finally just waited on the phone to talk to a TX Super Trooper and he said it is legal for an individual 18 and older to purchase a handgun from an individual as long as they dont have an FFL. Otherwise you have to be 21. Thanks for the posts guys

Comment

BTW the reason I want a handgun so bad is because Ive got a 1 year old daughter Im married and need something better for home protection, Ive got a 12 ga but a handgun is much more mobile if needed to swing in a hallway.

Comment

Originally posted by JRR1979 View Post
                    Ok finally just waited on the phone to talk to a TX Super Trooper and he said it is legal for an individual 18 and older to purchase a handgun from an individual as long as they dont have an FFL. Otherwise you have to be 21. Thanks for the posts guys
                    Yup, its legal. You are also protected by the castle law for your vehicle.
                    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

wow I didn't know that
                      Big Rooster Racing
                      1985 Mustang GT

Comment

In fairness to the OP, I spent 5 or so minutes looking for clear cut information on the law and only found about.com, yahoo.com and other "answers" places.

Damned retarded. Cause I know someone enlisted/veteran can get CHL at 18 so I was trying to find out for sure these details. (not that it matters to my old ass)

Anyway, maybe I was googling the wrong terms (Did not spend a lot of time on it), but was not blantant to me.

Edit: Not that anyone was giving him shit, I did the initial googling thinking "how hard can this be to find out?"
                        Originally posted by MR EDD
                        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                          In fairness to the OP, I spent 5 or so minutes looking for clear cut information on the law and only found about.com, yahoo.com and other "answers" places.

Damned retarded. Cause I know someone enlisted/veteran can get CHL at 18 so I was trying to find out for sure these details. (not that it matters to my old ass)

Anyway, maybe I was googling the wrong terms (Did not spend a lot of time on it), but was not blantant to me.

Edit: Not that anyone was giving him shit, I did the initial googling thinking "how hard can this be to find out?"
                          The loophole that allows an 18 y/o to purchase a hand gun from an unlicensed dealer in Texas is under Tex. Penal Code Ann. 46.06(a)(2)

Comment

Originally posted by Mustangman_2000 View Post
                            The loophole that allows an 18 y/o to purchase a hand gun from an unlicensed dealer in Texas is under Tex. Penal Code Ann. 46.06(a)(2)
                            It's not a loophole. Most states allow legal adults (18 and up) to purchase and posses a handgun. There is a federal law that prohibits FFL dealers from selling handguns or handgun ammunition to anyone under 21.

Comment

Originally posted by Mustangman_2000 View Post
                              hehe...should show up on google under "How old to buy a handgun in texas" or similar.

Good to know for the future though.
                              Originally posted by MR EDD
                              U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Working...
                              X