Welding wire size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding wire size

Is there much to be gained by going from a .035 wire to a .030 size? I'm having problems of blowing holes through sheet metal just tacking it. This is flux core btw.
    Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Smaller wire would help some, but flux core is the root of your problems.

Comment

What is the rest of your setup? You may be running too hot, speed too fast, shitty gas, and shitty wire.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
        What is the rest of your setup? You may be running too hot, speed too fast, shitty gas, and shitty wire.
        I don't know much about the welder as it is a dinosaur. I'm running .035 flux, coldest setting, speed at about 40.

One thing, I was freshening up on thick steel and it would go good for about an inch or more burning good with a steady flow and then start popping and splattering. Is that the welder being a POS or am I too close/far?

I've welded a lot in the past but nothing in about 6 years.

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Has the liner ever been changed? Is your tip burnt?

Comment

I doubt it, no on tip. Everything is clean.

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

You might even move down to an .023
              If you can, go to a 75%ar/25%cd mix shielding gas with a shielded wire. This will cut way down on all the spatter.
              Rich

Comment

He is running a flux core. I would suggest speeding up your wire feed. I typically weld at a 6 depending on the thickness. Sounds like your filler isn't coming in fast enough to fill the gap as it heats up.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackpony View Post
                  He is running a flux core. I would suggest speeding up your wire feed. I typically weld at a 6 depending on the thickness. Sounds like your filler isn't coming in fast enough to fill the gap as it heats up.
                  I got that he is using flux core, that is why I included "if you can" when suggesting moving to gas shielding. He might even try an 80/20 mix of ar/co2 to further cool the weld and prevent burning holes.

Flux core is cheap and good for outdoor and windy places but leaves much to be desired for producing "quality" welds.
                  Rich

Comment

Working...
                  X