home sub issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• home sub issue

basically got a infinity ps 12. it's a 12 inch driver and 300w amp. one day it worked great and the next nothing. no light, clicking, or buzzing. i've read the buzzing is usually the coil going bad or interference depending on where the sub is plugged in or located. i checked the small fuse and it's good. others have said capacitor or relay may be the problem, but they also see and smell burnt stuff. i don't, eveything looks ok. all i can think is the amp is fried. thanks for any help guys.

I lean towards it being a bad amp. Cool you run Infinity. I have dual Infinity PS212 subs (calibrated). That take quite a beating and keep coming back for more.

The PS12s were discontinued. Some of them had a propensity to overheat in certain situations. This problem was rectified in all the subsequent models. Different driver, amplifier, and amp housing enclosure. Also, sometimes it's just due to the RCA plug becoming damaged at the board mount. In some cases like moving the sub around with the cable plugged in.

Go ahead and upgrade. If you have the money go SVS or HSU, but I personally like Infinity for the cleanest and least boomy big subs below $500. And no over heat issues on any one of mine. The PS212 also goes down a little further before it loses authority and the auto on/off sensing has also greatly been revised. Enclosure is rock solid with a good 400 watt RMS amp and a big heavy voice coil on the driver.

Comment

Working...
    X