Sight block pins are evil!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sight block pins are evil!

Fucking evil! I cant hammer the damn things out. I'm pushing the little side out the big side, so that's not the problem. All I have accomplished is smashing them flush with the sight block.

The reason i'm removing it is to put on a floating handguard. I'm also going to chop it because this is just a target rifle and will have a scope mounted.
    IMG_0424

Originally posted by GAP View Post
    Fucking evil! I cant hammer the damn things out. I'm pushing the little side out the big side, so that's not the problem. All I have accomplished is smashing them flush with the sight block.

The reason i'm removing it is to put on a floating handguard. I'm also going to chop it because this is just a target rifle and will have a scope mounted.
    are you using a punch?
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Yes. 3/32 if I remember correctly. Did I mention I suck with punches.
      IMG_0424

Comment

If it gets to the point just cut it off and buy a low pro gas block.

Have you tried heating it with a heat gun? Or a smaller punch.

Comment

I have not, but I guess heat will be my next attempt. Propane ok?
          IMG_0424

Comment

I just put it in the freezer, i'll see what cold does before I try heat. If that doesn't work, Monday I'll see if I can press them out at work. Then I'll try heat
            IMG_0424

Comment

Im not talking a torch, Just a paint heat gun.

Good Luck. If not its cheap anuf to replace

Comment

The way heating and cooling work is heat differential, you'll need to either heat the block and knock it off, it chill the barrel only. Since you cant chill the barrel it isn't going to help much. I would suggest taking it out and heating up the block with a torch. Is it the pins or the slip fit of the block?
                "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

It's the pins themselves i'm having difficulty with. I've popped the pins out of my AK's FSB before and they were tight, but not like these pins from hell. I'll take another whack at it tomorrow. After that i'll be out of town the whole rest of the week.
                  IMG_0424

Comment

Originally posted by GAP View Post
                    It's the pins themselves i'm having difficulty with. I've popped the pins out of my AK's FSB before and they were tight, but not like these pins from hell. I'll take another whack at it tomorrow. After that i'll be out of town the whole rest of the week.
                    needs a solid man strike.

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                      needs a solid man strike.
                      I'm sure of this. I always suck with punches. It always skips off on me.
                      IMG_0424

Comment

Put it in the freezer and while everything is cold warm the sight block. The cold pin should come out.

Comment

I pwned the FSB with a cutoff tool

Tried freezing it and heating up the front sight with no luck. I got her off, now I just need to order a new low profile one!
                          IMG_0424

Comment

Working...
                          X