ok how can i hook this up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ok how can i hook this up

Can i rig this up . This probly a dumb question to yall . I posted a pic of my TV connector panel, which a mitsubishi 65 inch. I'm trying to hook up a crummy off the shelf walmart RCA surround sound system . It was $80 . So that gives you an idea . My father in law bought it just for a one time use . So now im hooking it up to our TV . Cant afford a better one right now due to schoo l.

Anyway, i only really have two options for getting the sound to go from the TV, to the unit . But both options have a catch. As you can se from the pic, i don't have optical audio out . All i have is that orange digital out that is just like any of those red or yellow audio connections. Weird cause i never seen its like before . Well, the surround sound has that optical audio in. So I'm not sure if there is some way I can hook those up togethe r.

The next method i could use would be just the standard composite Left and Right (white and red connector) outputs on the TV . The receiver unit also has those . But, i have a pair of wireless head phones hooked up to the outputs on the TV right now. I know I could get a splitter thing for them but in my experience that always has a bad effect on the sound qualit y . It certainly does on my computer at least . So what should i do ? Just get a really high quality spliter and hook the headphones and the receiver unit up into one output port on the TV ? Cuz i can not lose the headphones. id rather lose the surround sound .

We had the exact same surround sound. The reciever shit the bed and just burn out on us with a dvd still inside. lol. I had to take it apart to get it out. Be warned!! lol.
    GOPR0198 by larrychance88

Comment

The "orange" RCA cable I thought went into the one marked "Digital Audio Out" but I've never tried that kind of cable.

Otherwise...might as well just use the TV speakers. It's not going to be "surround" anyways.
      2004 Z06 Commemorative Ed.

Comment

the digital orange is called SPDIF (Sony Phillips Digital InterFace).

It's a cheaper, non sony connection... but Sony (finally) won another format war and Optical (more expensive cables) won out.

You need one of these:
        [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Coaxial-PDIF-Optical-Digital-Converter/dp/B000I94FQI[/ame]
        Or this:
        [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Cables-To-Go-Coaxial-Converter/dp/B0002J2MV4[/ame]

Comment

Ok tyvm . i got that and it works great . Well at least teh one they had on hand at fry electronics .

Well as great as that surround sound can be lol . Its pretty bad . You cant even tell the rear two speakers are on . Even though they are . I assume thats not the case when it comes to a higher end unit ?

Comment

Originally posted by waycooljr View Post
            Ok tyvm . i got that and it works great . Well at least teh one they had on hand at fry electronics .

Well as great as that surround sound can be lol . Its pretty bad . You cant even tell the rear two speakers are on . Even though they are . I assume thats not the case when it comes to a higher end unit ?
            Yes -- my unit comes with a microphone you plug in and say "configure". It plays noise out of each speaker and tunes them to the right volume. When I play music in "all speakers" mode I can move one of the rears outside and it's plenty loud.
            2004 Z06 Commemorative Ed.

Comment

Which unit do you have ? And does it have an automatic equilizer built in ?

Comment

Working...
              X