Home Security Camera Kit recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Security Camera Kit recommendations

Long story short, the jeep in my driveway was vandalized last night. I am looking for recommendations of a 2-4 camera setup that will be used outside. Preferably the unit will be-able to connect to the home network and be viewable from any computer in the house in the $200-400 range. Something like:

My main concern is picture quality at night. Thanks in advance for any input.

If you saw the news about the front door package theft in McKinney, that was a Logitech HD system and it runs about your price range. No idea on the night vision quality. I think there was a thread on here about it by UserX if you want to dig it up and see at least the daytime quality.

Comment

I bought this one last week - http://www.amazon.com/Night-Owl-Secu.../dp/B003CWGY5S

I cant give you a review yet, bc I plan on installing on my xmas time off!
      WRX

Comment

Originally posted by bard View Post
        If you saw the news about the front door package theft in McKinney, that was a Logitech HD system and it runs about your price range. No idea on the night vision quality. I think there was a thread on here about it by UserX if you want to dig it up and see at least the daytime quality.
        I saw this posted on another board and figured I would help spread the word. Someone stopped and lifted three Christmas gifts for their kids from the front porch. I think they left their decoy box by mistake, the McKinney police are going to get prints off it. There's a pretty good view of the dude's face at 1:07. Fucking

Comment

Originally posted by bard View Post
          Yep, the Logitech Alert. They are nice but the issues with those are:

Must buy Kit comes with one camera, the outdoor system is about $350.

Additional camera's are about $200-300 each

You are limited in what you can do with the system as far as viewing live feeds from your phone or on a computer, etc.

You can pay $80 year and get all the features through logitech.

In all it's a nice system, I'm considering testing one out to see how well it is and if I can get away with the limited features so I don't have to pay for them.

Comment

Wowzers. I have been looking around for a setup also, found several decent looking ones. Decided, heck, lets see what a security compnay charges to install one of these systems. Holy hell, not even close to what I expected.

8 camera setup, Night, motion sensor, all weather cameras, DVR, connectivty to my PC so I can view on the Web from anywhere, etc. Installed all for the everyday low price of...

fifty fucken eight hundred dollars!!!
            Yup
            $5800

Fuck that, I need to start installing these fuckers for extra money! Altec is looking pretty damn good!

Comment

I'm in the wrong business, thats alot of $'s.

Comment

Originally posted by JimD View Post
                I'm in the wrong business, thats alot of $'s.
                No shit. When he went into the attic to see about running lines, he even said it would be easy since the attic is so large, easy access, plywood floor over a lot of it to walk on, and a tube to run the cables down to the panel in the closet.

I mean hell, it can't get much easier than that attic as far as a house goes! Considering the camera setup might run $1500 for a pretty good one, that's a lota dough for the labor!

Altex has an 8 camera setup for like $799 I think, looking better every day!

Edit: Clearance section has one for $599
                Last edited by yellowstang; 12-21-2010, 04:33 PM.

Comment

My buddy installs A/V systems and he recommended this one because he knows how cheap I am. The DVR is accessible by network so you can check out everything on your phone nad if you get it at costco if any of the cameras go bad you can return it, they have a lifetime warranty. I shopped around and costco is the cheapest/best. The cameras are actually pretty good. I have installed similar Q see cameras and for the price I dont think you can go wrong.

Yellowstang check out the 8 camera setup for 500 could save you $5300

Last edited by beefed88; 12-22-2010, 11:13 AM.
                  2006 Civic SI
                  2009 Pilot
                  1988 GT
                  CRF50

Widebody whore.

Comment

Originally posted by beefed88 View Post
                    My buddy installs A/V systems and he recommended this one because he knows how cheap I am. The DVR is accessible by network so you can check out everything on your phone nad if you get it at costco if any of the cameras go bad you can return it, they have a lifetime warranty. I shopped around and costco is the cheapest/best. The cameras are actually pretty good. I have installed similar Q see cameras and for the price I dont think you can go wrong.

Yellowstang check out the 8 camera setup for 500 could save you $5300

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...S&Sp=C&topnav=

Yeah, Altex has that same 4 camera setup on clearance for $449!

Edit: do the cameras require a seperate line for power, does it have a plug on the end if they do? It would be nice if they got power from the DVR base, but doubt they do.

Dangit, guess not!
                    60 feet of cable with each wired camera for flexible installation (extensions available if needed)
                    Power Supply: DC 12V
                    Last edited by yellowstang; 12-22-2010, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Is there any wireless cameras/systems. I only need like two cameras and they would be installed inside.
                      Originally posted by Silverback
                      Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by BOOSTED32V View Post
                        Is there any wireless cameras/systems. I only need like two cameras and they would be installed inside.
                        The old X-10 wireless cameras worked pretty well at our old house, several others avaialble too.

Comment

Originally posted by mustang_revival View Post
                          I bought this one last week - http://www.amazon.com/Night-Owl-Secu.../dp/B003CWGY5S

I cant give you a review yet, bc I plan on installing on my xmas time off!
                          Hope yours works better than the one review that was on there.

Comment

Working...
                          X