Twist rate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twist rate?

I'm thinking about taking the plunge on a full .223 setup for my XL650 including a power trimmer. Ehhh, don't even like thinking about how much the setup will cost but in the long run.......

Anyways, my LaRue has a 1-8 twist rate and I was curious what the best weight bullet is for that. I think that LaRue test fires it with a 62 or somewhere around there. But I figure if I'm going to be reloading, I might as well have it exactly like I want it, and as accurate as I can get it with a progressive. ESPECIALLY since I'm getting all of the free 5.56 brass that I can pick up @CJ.

Also, any personal experiences with different brands would be appreciated. All I've used is Berger's in my bolt .308 and I think that those are a little high for what I'm going to be using this for, which will be 3 gunning. Mostly targets withing 300 yards around here. But some matches I'll be shooting in will be out to 600.

Anyways, I hope to get some good input from you guys. Thanks in advance.
    04 2.6 KB'd Cobra!

Originally posted by Sean88gt
    There is something about her that just makes my dick completely take over any thought process. If Russell Brand were on top of her, I'd fuck him just to say I pushed a dick inside of her.

Oh yeah, the barrel is a 16".
    04 2.6 KB'd Cobra!

There is something about her that just makes my dick completely take over any thought process. If Russell Brand were on top of her, I'd fuck him just to say I pushed a dick inside of her.

Comment

1 in 8 should be able to stabilize pretty much anything out there. I have to say though I've never seen a 1 in 8 barrel or an AR.
      2004 Suzuki DL650
      1996 Hy-Tek Hurricane 103

Comment

They're not that hard to find. My WOA is a 1 in 8.

Comment

Originally posted by Downs View Post
          1 in 8 should be able to stabilize pretty much anything out there. I have to say though I've never seen a 1 in 8 barrel or an AR.
          It's standard on the PredatARRRRRR's, lol.
          04 2.6 KB'd Cobra!

Comment

Not saying it's not out there just I've never seen it.

2004 Suzuki DL650
            1996 Hy-Tek Hurricane 103

Comment

62 sounds about right for 1:8. IMO, anything from 55 to 65 would be just about right for that twist, depending of course on things like charge, bullet OAL, etc.
              "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Originally posted by helosailor View Post
                62 sounds about right for 1:8. IMO, anything from 55 to 65 would be just about right for that twist, depending of course on things like charge, bullet OAL, etc.
                A good 1:8 will easily stabilize 77s in a 16" barrel.

Comment

So... pretty much anything, lol. A heavier bullet will drop quicker over distance due to the slower velocity correct? But it's affected less by wind, so a 62 sounds like a decent comprimise, no?
                  04 2.6 KB'd Cobra!

Comment

Originally posted by slowyellow View Post
                    I'm thinking about taking the plunge on a full .223 setup for my XL650 including a power trimmer. Ehhh, don't even like thinking about how much the setup will cost but in the long run.......

Anyways, my LaRue has a 1-8 twist rate and I was curious what the best weight bullet is for that. I think that LaRue test fires it with a 62 or somewhere around there. But I figure if I'm going to be reloading, I might as well have it exactly like I want it, and as accurate as I can get it with a progressive. ESPECIALLY since I'm getting all of the free 5.56 brass that I can pick up @CJ.

Also, any personal experiences with different brands would be appreciated. All I've used is Berger's in my bolt .308 and I think that those are a little high for what I'm going to be using this for, which will be 3 gunning. Mostly targets withing 300 yards around here. But some matches I'll be shooting in will be out to 600.

Anyways, I hope to get some good input from you guys. Thanks in advance.
                    1:8 will be good all the way up to 77gr. I use a 1:8 on my 24" and it stabilizes up to 90gr VLD. Of course you will have a shorter barrel, but it will be fine. 1:8 is one of the best twists.
                    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                      1:8 will be good all the way up to 77gr. I use a 1:8 on my 24" and it stabilizes up to 90gr VLD. Of course you will have a shorter barrel, but it will be fine. 1:8 is one of the best twists.
                      What do you think would be best suited for what I'm doing with the gun?
                      04 2.6 KB'd Cobra!

Comment

Originally posted by slowyellow View Post
                        What do you think would be best suited for what I'm doing with the gun?
                        It is not ill-suited for any load, it will shoot 55 to 77 covering the entire spectrum. I wouldn't recommend 77gr for 3 gun, it's mostly a target round. I prefer sierra matchkings for accuracy.
                        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                          It is not ill-suited for any load, it will shoot 55 to 77 covering the entire spectrum. I wouldn't recommend 77gr for 3 gun, it's mostly a target round. I prefer sierra matchkings for accuracy.
                          Lots of guys run big pills for 3 gun until it gets too expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
                            Lots of guys run big pills for 3 gun until it gets too expensive.
                            Even reloading with the larger bullets is cheaper than buying preloaded ammo. Especially when you consider that I get ALL OF THE .223 BRASS that I want FOR FREE!!!! CJ
                            04 2.6 KB'd Cobra!

Comment

Working...
                            X