What would a 15 year old need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would a 15 year old need?

A friend of mine has a 15year old daughter that was put on some meds several years ago to balance her moods and wound up with a huge appetite.

She is now obese and closing in on being morbidly obese. The mother is looking into getting her a personal trainer, and possibly a Zoomba class.

She still has to find a way to curb the eating. I was thinking fish oil and maybe capsaicin.

I feel she is too young for stimulants, so I'm trying to find safer alternatives.

Any help is appreciated.

The only thing to curb the eating is self control, no trainer or suppliments will do that for her. She needs to find some incentive or something to motivate her.

Start with the cardio and get into a routine of hitting the gym, then start adding some other things into her workout.

Comment

This is a case where jump starting her metabolism and curbing her appetite is a crucial requirement.

Comment

Like he said, self control. Might want to get her some gum or something that she can chew on to get her past the oral-fixation of eating. My algebra teacher in highschool said she lost a lot of weight by chewing sunflower seeds throughout the day and keeping her meals small.
        "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

If she can't curb her eating, don't keep any junk in the house. If she must eat, only give her the option of fruits, veggies & lean protein. She's only 15, not like she can drive anywhere to get food. I bet their house is full of bread, chips, soda, etc which is just tempting and enabling her.

And if she really wants junk she can walk to the store, which would be a good thing.

Comment

Her mom cooks healthy foods every night. No, there isn't a bunch of junk in the kitchen to eat.

However, she has a habit of hoarding things in her room that she finds when she's at school or other places. Her mom and my girlfriend found a bunch of sugar packets and such the last time they searched her room.

Something else has to be done in conjunction with exercise.

Comment

PM sent.
              An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come.

-Victor Hugo

Comment

And there is a reason everyone yoyo diets and gets a gym membership and then the only time they go in is to cancel it early. I am a strong proponent of the motto, "work smarter, not harder" and the same can be applied to health and nutrition.
                An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come.

-Victor Hugo

Comment

She has an emotional attachment to food, doesn't sound like anything but a shrink and a straight jacket are going to do anything more than what the mom is already attempting.

Comment

I think she needs a psychologist more than anything.

I'm dealing with this and a family member (not one of my kids.) I'm amazed out how many candy bars she can hide.
                    Originally posted by Denny
                    I call dibs on Don's balls!

Comment

Originally posted by OldGuysRule View Post
                      I think she needs a psychologist more than anything.

I'm dealing with this and a family member (not one of my kids.) I'm amazed out how many candy bars she can hide.
                      Sounds like some self-esteem issues. After raising 2 teenage girls (now adults), it was pretty common among their friends and acquaintences.

Comment

In fairness, at least for me working out does help curb my appetite. Workouts are a good start IMO...
                        Originally posted by MR EDD
                        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                          In fairness, at least for me working out does help curb my appetite. Workouts are a good start IMO...
                          I was on a road trip this weekend with my oldest and that is exactly what I told her.

On days I work out (usually every day) I have no issue with hunger. On days like last weekend where I didn't do shit it seemed I can't eat enough. Mind you my stomach was registering full but I could still shovel food in my mouth.
                          Originally posted by Denny
                          I call dibs on Don's balls!

Comment

Originally posted by OldGuysRule View Post
                            I was on a road trip this weekend with my oldest and that is exactly what I told her.

On days I work out (usually every day) I have no issue with hunger. On days like last weekend where I didn't do shit it seemed I can't eat enough. Mind you my stomach was registering full but I could still shovel food in my mouth.
                            Agreed. I find I have the worst food cravings out of sheer boredom.

Comment

In addition to a psychologist she should also be working with the kids' doctor and a dietician.

Comment

Working...
                              X