Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have a very recent load manual w/ .300 blk data?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have a very recent load manual w/ .300 blk data?

I'm trying to create a load for .300BLK that uses nothing but surplus parts.

Surplus .223 case, surplus M80 147gr FMJ projectile, and some Alliant 2400 powder. If anyone has a recent manual, or even load data for .300 whisper I'd like to see it. Need a place to start.

I believe I should start between 12.9 to 15.7 gr. but if I could get some solid data that would help me from going to the range more than once.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

I can look when i get home but I'm pretty sure the 300 Whisper data is gonna be for a TC Contender so that powder may not be listed.
    "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

I have the Lyman and Hornady at home I can check when i get home.

Comment

Thanks guys, any info would help me out.
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Hornady's 8th edition has data for the Whisper with a 10" barrel pushing the 150-155 gr bullets at
          12.9gr@1500
          13.7gr@1600
          14.2gr@1650 Max
          Sierra's 5th edition also has data for the Whisper but in a 10" TC as well.
          13.4gr@1400
          14.1gr@1500
          14.8gr@1600
          15.7gr@1700Max
          My Nosler book didn't list either round so no luck there.

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
            Hornady's 8th edition has data for the Whisper with a 10" barrel pushing the 150-155 gr bullets at
            12.9gr@1500
            13.7gr@1600
            14.2gr@1650 Max
            Sierra's 5th edition also has data for the Whisper but in a 10" TC as well.
            13.4gr@1400
            14.1gr@1500
            14.8gr@1600
            15.7gr@1700Max
            My Nosler book didn't list either round so no luck there.
            I assume this is Alliant 2400 powder? Seems like the data I got is almost identical to this, I'll load to 14.0 and see how it does. Geez 147gr has shit velocity, stupid small case capacity.. oh well it's my plinking load so no big deal. Thanks a bunch for typing that out.

Comment

Yea that's Alliant 2400, the velocity sucks thanks to the 10" barrel they used but if you're going SBR it should be about the same. You might look at a burn rate chart and see if there is a Hodgdon powder that's close and check their website data as well.

Comment

Yea that's Alliant 2400, the velocity sucks thanks to the 10" barrel they used but if you're going SBR it should be about the same. You might look at a burn rate chart and see if there is a Hodgdon powder that's close and check their website data as well.
                .300 isn't like a normal caliber, the difference between a 10" barrel and a 20" is like 80fps. It doesn't have the case capacity to see any benefit from longer barrels. That's why it's designed for short barrels. .300 uses magnum pistol powders instead of rifle powders because of this. If you put IMR-4198 or 4895 behind a .300 bullet you'd get a huge ass fireball and like 1100fps.

Comment

Sounds right given the surface area of the bullet.

Comment

Sounds right given the surface area of the bullet.
                    So, really .300 blk is primarily for suppressed SBR's, building hunting rifles out of them is a little questionable... what's the point of a larger caliber if it essentially delivers the same energy as a .223? Sure you can load a 110gr projectile but it's only going to go 2000, maybe 2200fps?

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                      So, really .300 blk is primarily for suppressed SBR's, building hunting rifles out of them is a little questionable... what's the point of a larger caliber if it essentially delivers the same energy as a .223? Sure you can load a 110gr projectile but it's only going to go 2000, maybe 2200fps?
                      From what I gather its because even though it has the same energy, the 30 cal will stop inside your target and expand faster instead of punching straight through like a smaller 22 cal bullet

Comment

I know Sierra makes 300 specific bullets but does anyone else? I assume they offer them to help meet the required OAL but can you just use any .308" diameter bullet effectively?

Comment

Originally posted by bottlerocket View Post
                          From what I gather its because even though it has the same energy, the 30 cal will stop inside your target and expand faster instead of punching straight through like a smaller 22 cal bullet
                          The larger the mass the more force is required to expand.

Comment

Working...
                          X