SCCA IT-J Classes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCCA IT-J Classes

Looks like the SCCA would like to attract the lemons/chump cars to their events.

We are building the 'Mont to fit roughly in any of the rule books. Not sure if it will be something that will be happening, but the trend seems to be working its way towards catering to our group(s), ie the junkyard race at TWS and the like.

Thoughts, opinions, complaints?
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

I think its great as long as the $$$ to track time ratio is good. I don't feel like paying good money and then have to sit around for several hours just to drive for 20-30 minutes at a time.

Comment

Thats like running a demo derby before a world of outlaw race. The real cars wont show up to run on a track that has shit laying everywhere like a mad max movie.
      pinto gt with wood trim

Comment

Originally posted by Grape View Post
        Thats like running a demo derby before a world of outlaw race. The real cars wont show up to run on a track that has shit laying everywhere like a mad max movie.
        Apparently they aren't showing up, shit or Not. The conversation I had earlier the example that 25 cars showed up for a 17class raceday was given. The rumor is that this will incorperate a "beginners" class, with hopes that racers will move up into other classes.

Its FOR the junk.
        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

grassroots motorsports in general is having a rough time. I know what they are trying to do by bringing the back gate money up, but it's a stop gap measure. I bet even the participation in those lemons and similar type races has gone down over the last 3 years. This crap just costs waaaay too much for the average american to hobby with.
          pinto gt with wood trim

Comment

grassroots motorsports in general is having a rough time. I know what they are trying to do by bringing the back gate money up, but it's a stop gap measure. I bet even the participation in those lemons and similar type races has gone down over the last 3 years. This crap just costs waaaay too much for the average american to hobby with.
            well, the lowest car count I've seen at races Ive been at was the mid 50's in car counts. That is lower than the 120+ that we had at one point, but we also have Chump races as well as more races in texas per year. The 120+ was when there were two a year and no Chump. I know of some guys that are racing Lemons/Chump instead of SCCA/NASA due to seat/cost ratios being better in the crapcan races.

But I wouldnt say it costs way too much, but what do I know, Ive only been doing it for 5 years. Its still cheaper than drag races, from my experience.

Comment

purpose built cars, not the lemons/chump stuff. Price an upright or a lower control arm for a Van Diemen FC or FF.
              pinto gt with wood trim

Comment

purpose built cars, not the lemons/chump stuff. Price an upright or a lower control arm for a Van Diemen FC or FF.
                I missunderstood, you are very right, it costs way too much to be competitive, especially startup from scratch. That is one of the nice things about running the crapcans, the cost is easier to swallow, and that is the reason I would bet that these crapcan classes and races are starting to become more popular.

Comment

I can see how the spec car classes and the other "lower end" grassroot classes are having lower turnout with the crapcan races that are now out. This isn't meant as a slam, but if you're doing this as a fun hobby why would you spend thousands of dollars on a miata or CMC car for example when you can run basically the same car for a much longer time at a Chump Car race?

Comment

Originally posted by jw33 View Post
                    but if you're doing this as a fun hobby why would you spend thousands of dollars on a miata or CMC car for example when you can run basically the same car for a much longer time at a Chump Car race?
                    I think you hit the nail on the head. The "crap car" series seems to have pulled all the "low hanging" fruit from the SCCA/other car series. They have also pulled other folks who would not have ordinarily raced in NASA/SCCA/ETC due to the cost, but CAN afford a crap can. I know I'd be hitting Chump/LeMons if I were to be fielding my own car.
                    Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
                    There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

I think it is comical that these same folks that have ran lemons cars off from track days and talked down about how it "muddy's the sport" to have crapcan races are now trying to get a slice of the pie.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
                        I think it is comical that these same folks that have ran lemons cars off from track days and talked down about how it "muddy's the sport" to have crapcan races are now trying to get a slice of the pie.
                        SCCA is hurting period because their classes are 30 years old. Very few classes except for T1 2 and 3 have fresh cars coming in with new blood. Second is most racers hate/can't afford SCCA because someone can pull a $100 bill, claim you are cheating and you get to go home with your motor in boxes.

Grassroots road racing in general is hurting bad. Most of the guys with money are back home caring for their businesses or families in college. there has been little if any new blood getting into the road racing hobby over the last 5 years. Some are just bored or have gotten all the fun out of it they were looking for and have moved on to other hobbies. Some left due to crappy management of the sanctioning body and have cars collecting dust and have yet to return.

Even HPDE events are hurting except for the The drivers edge events. Just too many organizations available and the track rentals are so high, you need a minimum of 50 cars to just cover track rental. 70 cars to cover all costs and a little profit. It also used to be you could get new students to come out and put the $300 on their credit cards without worry. Now, people have maxed their cards and don't have the cash to do an event. events aren't cheap if you run a car alone. CMC is about $1000-1200/wknd, AI/ST2 can run $1200 to 1800 a weekend...assuming you don't break anything. I have been using a single set of tires per weekend that cost $1400. Luckily I have won my last few sets. And there are ZERO sponsorships out there for this type of racing because there is ZERO exposure to 'fans' or TV.

The crapcan events are getting popular because you can get 3 to 6 hours of track time for about $500 assuming the entry and consumables is about $2000 and you have 4 guys to split the costs. The traffic factor is also much cooler in Lemons but I do miss the days of 120 cars on a 2.4 mile track. NASA race weekends usualy get you 80 minutes of racing total from 4 sprint races and about another 60 minutes in Qual/practice. HPDE's usually get you 8ea, 20 minute sessions for around $300.

Basically, what has happened is there are too many organizations competing for a VERY limited customer base. Not enough people in the State of Texas that even know about this hobby, let alone want to do it or can afford it. This is a peewee football, drag racing and NASCAR state. Road Racing is just not catching on with the locals.

The economy is killing the hobby right now. People are holding their cash or buying guns for "what if" happens. If Obama is re-elected, I see this sport all but drying up here in TX. The majority who do this are small business owners and they will have to stop spending the money....

Comment

Originally posted by Darren M View Post
                          I know I'd be hitting Chump/LeMons if I were to be fielding my own car.
                          I got an awesome Neon I'll sell you for a HELL of a price! complete with spare engine and consumables. $4000. come and get it!

Comment

Originally posted by aggie97 View Post
                            I got an awesome Neon I'll sell you for a HELL of a price! complete with spare engine and consumables. $4000. come and get it!
                            Thanks for the offer but I'm about to have to sell my Mustang and move on to a more efficient mode of transportation. (New job. ) Like many folks, racing cars is out for me right now, even crap cans.
                            Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
                            There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

We are enjoying Chump because its low budget racing for people who really want to race their crapcans. Lemons has a different goal which is fine but we enjoy competing.

I had a ball chasing the 2:03 Miatas at TWS. While this may not be hardcore racing for a fairly newbie like me its alot of fun. If we didn't go through so many motors and trannys it would cost as much. Typical Chump weekend before breakage cost me $750 including tires, entry, gas, hotel. Helps to divide by four.

We'll race the 4-6 races a year around Texas. I agree I miss the race traffic. Navigating thru 120 cars was mucho fun.
                              Murph

Lots of cars that nobody desires

Comment

Working...
                              X