Going for my first "firearm" build.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going for my first "firearm" build.

I am building a bowling ball mortar. I have the basic design figured out. It is gonna be a nirogen or oxygen bottle cut to about 40". I'm gonna cut the valve end so that I can mount something there to hold the powder charge. I am wonderng if anyone has suggestions on how to build the powder chamber and out of what. Once finished and succesfully tested then a video and pics will be posted. First couple shots won't have any video because I'll probably be hiding behind the biggest and sturdiest thing I can find. And should I use a fuse or slap hammer to fire it? Last but not least anyone have any bowling balls they would like to donate. I'm trying to get a variety of weights to see what weight gets the best distance. Any help would be appreciated.
    Why put off till tomorrow what you can put off till the next day?
    -Fred Sanford

Originally posted by oh1bullitt View Post
    I am building a bowling ball mortar. I have the basic design figured out. It is gonna be a nirogen or oxygen bottle cut to about 40". I'm gonna cut the valve end so that I can mount something there to hold the powder charge. I am wonderng if anyone has suggestions on how to build the powder chamber and out of what. Once finished and succesfully tested then a video and pics will be posted. First couple shots won't have any video because I'll probably be hiding behind the biggest and sturdiest thing I can find. And should I use a fuse or slap hammer to fire it? Last but not least anyone have any bowling balls they would like to donate. I'm trying to get a variety of weights to see what weight gets the best distance. Any help would be appreciated.
    Not sure how this thread dropped to the bottom. Interesting project. I've seen a few of them built. The barrel is usually made out an oxygen tank, however it needs to be one of the large military grade ones because they are considerably thicker. Also, you usually slide it into a larger tank at the combustion chamber side to further reinforce it. I would suggest a fuse to light the powder, as a primer or blasting cap might very well make it go off like a bomb. Generally from my knowledge you would want to light it from the rear center so you have an even force across the hemisphere and into the projectile. Powder choice is going to be very important - you will want something that is relatively slow burning.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Here is one for you..... lol...

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/for/2155478081.html

Comment

Originally posted by billybob81 View Post
        seems legit. I like the muzzle brake.
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I don't have good advise to give, but I like where your head is at.
          WRX

Comment

Working...
          X