Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My love\hate relationship with FPS gaming

Just a general vent....

I was always a flight sim guy... I mean, from the days before the Original Falcon 3.0 all the way back to I think a program called "Fly" on the Commodore 64, that's what was always cool to me.

The first FPS game I really got into was Rainbow 6, which didn't include "Power Ups", "Ammo Boosters", and actual elements of strategy.

The first time I played the game with actual real-live human beings was a great experience... a good old LAN party with friends and booze. It was awesome...

These days things are different....
    I have a job, kids, ex-wife, fiance, bills.... and the last thing I want to deal with on my off time these days is some of the shit that now seems to purvey any sort of multiplayer game that involves things that explode....

Spawns: Each new game states that there is a new "Spawn engine" which will reduce spawn camping, yet 2 weeks after any release, prepare to die 2 seconds after half of your respawns....

Idiotic hiding places caused by glitches: Cmon really... your kill count depends on hiding in that ONE rock on that ONE map?

Lack of strategy: Why find a good spot to lay covering fire while teammates overrun a position when all you have to do is have "lightweight", "marathon", and a knife?

Damage: a glancing knife attack... instant death.... a full on shot to the face with a SPAS 12 shotgun? Continue to fight another day....

Kids: Anyone who can play a game 12 to 18 hours a day, every day, for 3 months, living off of caffeine and sugar is going to kick your ass at any type of video game. In fact, they should just divide game servers for different age groups so I can go up against other old codgers like me who don't know or care that there is that "kick ass" glitch on the desert map if you use the desert eagle with an extended clip....

Sniping: Used to be fun and a bit of a change from running around knifing people.... these days though, with few exceptions.... forget all about 1 shot, 1 kill.... snipers have basically become bullet sponges.....

I could forget about EVERYTHING else on this list if it weren't for one thing.... Hackers....

If you've ever wondered why a new title is only fun for about 3 weeks, that's usually about the time it takes to develop a good aim\radar hack for a new title and it spread like wild fire. Hell, sometimes they are available to download before the game is even out....

Nothing like spawning INSIDE a building and dying 2 seconds after you spawn by an assault rifle.... 3 times in a row..... from across the map.... by a smart ass fat kid who's latest line is "Newbs Suck"........

Hey kid, have fun with that.....
    I guess I'll go get a BJ from my hot chick while I have a beer.

Got a hack for that?
    Last edited by Gargamel; 12-22-2010, 10:30 AM.

Play more hardcore game types.

Comment

FPS games in their current form are played out. How many Call of Duty games can be released running the same exact engine but with different guns?
      Originally posted by lincolnboy
      After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
        FPS games in their current form are played out. How many Call of Duty games can be released running the same exact engine but with different guns?
        Its not the same, although I get what your saying.

To be exact, its a "heavily" modified WaW engine (which is a modified CoD4 engine). The lightning part, was completely re-written, new texture streaming capabilities, etc.

CoD is a cash cow, expect the series to be milked until the community stop buying which at 1billion revenue doesn't look like it will stop soon. Consider this the WoW of FPS's.

My advice to the OP, play on hardcore servers.

Comment

I don't play FPS multi-player games just for the reasons you listed. The last one I played was Battlefield 2. Besides, how many times can you shoot someone until it becomes boring?
          Originally posted by racrguy
          What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
          Originally posted by racrguy
          Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Next thing you'll be bitchin' about is how kids are always choosing Oddjob and how the moonraker laser isn't one shot, one kill.

Comment

Originally posted by Kurtie View Post
              Next thing you'll be bitchin' about is how kids are always choosing Oddjob and how the moonraker laser isn't one shot, one kill.
              Should I feel bad that I have no idea about what you're talking about?
              (Other than the fact that I hated Moore as 007 of course...)

Comment

It was a reference to Goldeneye on the N64.

In all seriousness, I don't need a 12 year old kid questioning my sexuality just because I only play online games a few times a month. If I am playing online I make sure I mute the voice chat.

Comment

Guess I'm just old....

Here is my first FPS:

Comment

Originally posted by 88Kaufmann View Post
                    Guess I'm just old....

Here is my first FPS:

I wouldn't say that qualifies as a First Person Shooter by definition. Is that an atari game btw? If not I think i had one similar, the point was to try and move behind the thing while at the same time shoot the other guy?

Comment

I am a big FPS fan! I have had my experience playing against kids. One of the Reasons my clan is restricted to older people. LOL shit our old clan tag use to be FOG= Fucken old guys. I cant count the number of times I have argued with a 10 year old who joined our squad because we were a man short. One of the benefits of leaving and starting another squad
                      And Shepherds we shall be

For thee, my Lord, for thee.

Power hath descended forth from Thy hand

Our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.

So we shall flow a river forth to Thee

And teeming with souls shall it ever be.

In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti

Comment

oddjob with twin rcp-90's fuckin OWNS!

Comment

I like FPS games, but I just play them as a regular old video game. I've never played online. Just seems odd to me.
                          http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

To the OP:

I feel your pain. And I was a big flight sim fan too, all the way back to SubLogic's Flight Simulator II for Commodore 64C. I've had them all over the years.

As far as your bad experience with COD, are you playing on a PC? If so that is good... here are my suggestions (and what I did!)

1. Join a GOOD clan. And by GOOD, I don't mean good as in skill wise, cause it doesnt matter. I mean good as in a good group of guys (and girls believe it or not). I've been in the same one for 4 years now, and its more less become an online gaming family environment. We have guys 25 years old, and guys that are pushing 50. We don't allow kids. Its nice because we all know each other, we own the server, and we all know that each other will not cheat. If someone comes into our server cheating, they get kicked / banned. pm me if you have any interest in joining the one im in.

2. Play on hardcore servers. I never cared for softcore, I have no desire to shoot someone 5 times and they keep running.

3. Play objective based games. S&D is my favorite. People think a little more about running and gunning if they know that when they die, they wont just come back to life right away! They'll have to wait until the next round.

Just my .02!
                            Last edited by danielhv; 12-23-2010, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
                              I like FPS games, but I just play them as a regular old video game. I've never played online. Just seems odd to me.
                              Exactly. I love FPS games that have a good campaign. I enjoyed Borderlands and Fallout 3/New Vegas a LOT more than I enjoy CoD. I think Doom 3 was probably the last non-rpg first person shooter that I really got in to. The Halo series is starting to suck pretty bad although I did like ODST quite a bit, especially going through the post war city, sneaking up on covenant companies.
                              "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

Working...
                              X