Might be sub upgrade time. SQL sub needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Might be sub upgrade time. SQL sub needed

So, I've upgraded all my gear except my power amp, and it is louder that hell now, but my servo is dying on my sub and I might retire it to the bedroom or living room and upgrade.

Looking for something that fucken slams and has great sq. Similar to a JL W7 in a car. I've heard JL home subs and they all sound like they have 100 watt amps, maybe they are just turned all the way down... I don't know.

Anyone have any experience or recommendations? I'm going to shy from Rel, Sunfire or Revel as they all sound worse than my Velo. I guess I could fix mine and add a second one if that's the only real solution? Doesn't give me a sub for another room that way though..

SVS PB13. The best home subwoofer that I have ever heard. I listened to a pair of them and the bass was incredible. They had excursion that pressurized the room like a a badass car audio system can.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark04 View Post
      SVS PB13. The best home subwoofer that I have ever heard. I listened to a pair of them and the bass was incredible. They had excursion that pressurized the room like a a badass car audio system can.
      How's the sound quality? Noticed it has 3 ports, sometimes ported enclosures sound better at certain frequencies, I want a flat response all the way down. Price is great, is there a local dealer you like I can go demo one?

Comment

I currently have an infinite baffle setup with two FiCar IB18's and powered by a Behringer ep4000 pro sound amp bridged mono (around 2700 watts) and and I have a tremendous amount of bass even way below 20 HZ (it's in a dedicated home theater and tuned for movies). Enough to make me worry about the projector falling and it makes the dishes downstairs in the cabinets rattle and sound like they are going to break. The SVS was even more powerful than my setup especially in the 45-75 HZ range.

Comment

I found a guy on HTShack that let me audition his. I do not know of anyone local that sells them. I heard ZERO port noise or chuffing even while playing some very low demo material (War of the Worlds and U-571). He was using a BFD to eq his subs but it was just to provide a custom house curve not really to make it flat. Definitely not one of those subs that have a pipe organ effect at certain frequencies. I did not listen to much music except a DVDA of the Eagles and the sub was very quick with a lot of impact. Almost too much.

Comment

Narrowed down to 3:

Martin Logan Decent i (3x10s)

B&W DB-1 (2x12s)

JL f113 (1x13.5)

anyone hear or like any of these? I havent heard the jl yet, but am demoing the 12 tomorrow and a Gothem.

This shit is time consuming and frustrating.

Comment

^Can't go wrong with a Fathom.

SVS, HSU, Rythmik, Emotiva, Def Tech SuperCube Reference, etc.. are all high end audiophile subs. Sub placement, room correction EQ, and acoustical treatments can really augment the performance of even a mid level sub. I've owned a Infinity, HSU, Outlaw, and now Emotiva. No personal experience with SVS, but was beyond impressed with a friends 2xPB12 in a medium sized enclosed room. Very linear and highly capable musical sub.

However, I thought I'd heard some good subs until I had an opportunity to catch a demo of a Mark Seaton Submersive. Flat until 10Hz with unreal authority. It's almost difficult to put into words experiencing that kind of extension with a sealed sub. It felt like listening to a commercial grade Danley TH series sub, but in a home theater environment. Wish I could afford it.
              Last edited by LS1Goat; 07-11-2012, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by STROKD View Post
                Narrowed down to 3:

Martin Logan Decent i (3x10s)

B&W DB-1 (2x12s)

JL f113 (1x13.5)
                Ended up ordering #1, should have it in a few weeks. It was by far the loudest and best sounding of the 3, smallest drivers dropped the hardest too. Also the best sub I've heard outside of a car. I highly recommend it if anyone wants clean and loud bass. The class A/B amps only Martin uses has somethin to do with it I'd assume

Should actually have some solid bass for once. Screw Velodyne.

Comment

I really like my Klipsch. Good strong clear bass at almost any volume whether watching movies or just listening to the stereo.
                  My brother had a Def Tech (definitive technologies) sub that had some serious bass to it, but sounded like it had a little distortion with movie sfx.
                  "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Working...
                  X