Refinished my Benchmade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refinished my Benchmade

-Maybe UNfinished, rather than REfinished.

I was given this knife in 2008. It had rough black texture that was like
    fingernails on a chalk board to me. I was in a rush to deploy, and quickly taped off the blade (somewhat) and fogged it with rattle can Army tan.
    It served its purpose, which was to smooth out that texture and make it look different from the 100 other black benchmades that were handed out.
    After 4 years of daily carry it started to look a bit worn.

At work we have a bead blaster. Friday, at 10 am I took it apart. It took me about 2 minutes to blast the liners, and 6 hours (no lie) to put it back together.

Personally, I think it looks fantastic. I'm not sure if the aluminum will tarnish or not.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Looks sharp, I like it.
    04 2.6 KB'd Cobra!

Originally posted by Sean88gt
    There is something about her that just makes my dick completely take over any thought process. If Russell Brand were on top of her, I'd fuck him just to say I pushed a dick inside of her.

Comment

And if it does tarnish, you can always blast it again and powdercoat it.
      04 2.6 KB'd Cobra!

Originally posted by Sean88gt
      There is something about her that just makes my dick completely take over any thought process. If Russell Brand were on top of her, I'd fuck him just to say I pushed a dick inside of her.

Comment

Originally posted by slowyellow View Post
        Looks sharp, I like it.

Comment

Very new edge looking.
          Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

blue the blade
            "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
            "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
              blue the blade
              Tell me more. I know what a blued firearm looks like, but I still google imaged to get some ideas on knives, and none were alike.

Would it cover up the lasered butterfly? If so, could I get it laserd after getting blued? Sharpening wouldnt have a negative effect would it? I dont personally sharpen it ever, but Benchmade offers lifetime laser sharpening which I have done already once, and it comes back very quickly, and very sharp.

Is the benefit just protection? You can see the black coating is already wearing off. I've never had a rusting issues. I do however cut a fuck load of limes with it, which I'm almost certain is terrible for the metal.

Finally, what kinda price range are we looking at?
              DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Just use a cold bluing kit from Midway or Brownell's. The aluminum won't tarnish, by the way. It isn't a cuprous metal.
                ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by HarrisonTX View Post
                  Tell me more. I know what a blued firearm looks like, but I still google imaged to get some ideas on knives, and none were alike.

Would it cover up the lasered butterfly? If so, could I get it laserd after getting blued? Sharpening wouldnt have a negative effect would it? I dont personally sharpen it ever, but Benchmade offers lifetime laser sharpening which I have done already once, and it comes back very quickly, and very sharp.

Is the benefit just protection? You can see the black coating is already wearing off. I've never had a rusting issues. I do however cut a fuck load of limes with it, which I'm almost certain is terrible for the metal.

Finally, what kinda price range are we looking at?
                  It can only be blued if it's a non-stainless metal. Basically its for cosmetic reasons, bluing doesn't really do shit for preserving the metal, water will rust it up like it isn't even there, it just tends to hold oil better.
                  "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                  "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Are you guys seriously getting that kinda life out of a benchmade? I can't get a Gerber or kershaw to go more than a year. For what I'm paying that's much more bang for the buck
                    07 f250-family truckster
                    08 Denali -baby hauler
                    52 f1-rust bucket
                    05 Jeep tj. Buggy
                    livin the double-wide dream

Comment

What type of kershaws you buying? My next one will prob be a benchmade.

Comment

Originally posted by whitetrash View Post
                        Are you guys seriously getting that kinda life out of a benchmade? I can't get a Gerber or kershaw to go more than a year. For what I'm paying that's much more bang for the buck
                        Don't get me wrong, a kershaw is good. Hell I've bought two. But, the comparison isnt fair. What is a kershaw? $30? This benchmade was $275 new. I've seen a couple as low as $125 but its just a different class of knife.

What do you consider the end of a knifes life? Does it just break?
                        DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Originally posted by HarrisonTX View Post
                          Don't get me wrong, a kershaw is good. Hell I've bought two. But, the comparison isnt fair. What is a kershaw? $30? This benchmade was $275 new. I've seen a couple as low as $125 but its just a different class of knife.

What do you consider the end of a knifes life? Does it just break?
                          They literally just come apart. The ones I get are normally buy are about 50 bucks.
                          07 f250-family truckster
                          08 Denali -baby hauler
                          52 f1-rust bucket
                          05 Jeep tj. Buggy
                          livin the double-wide dream

Comment

Originally posted by whitetrash View Post
                            They literally just come apart. The ones I get are normally buy are about 50 bucks.
                            I've had my benchmade Tanto presidio (similar to the OP's) since 2005. For 3 or 4 years it was my daily carry and hasn't given me any issues at all. Pulled it apart for cleaning once or twice, the AXIS lock is flawless and it was worth every penny.

Comment

I have had many benchmades over the years and just recently lost my Griptilian.......not a happy camper. Gonna pick up a CRKT to hold me by for a while until i can afford to grab another benchmade.
                              May God give us strength and courage in the time of our darkest hours.
                              Semper Fi

Comment

Working...
                              X