New Sprint OTA for Evo 4g

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Sprint OTA for Evo 4g

Well last lastnight I got bored and checked for updates on my evo. Well low and behold an update was available. Instead of reading about it I ended up updating. Now I have pointless apps I probably will never use and guess what? I can't uninstall them. I put my phone back to stock btw from rooted, saw no advantage in rooting cept for free wifi tether.

Apps added:
    Blockbuster
    Kindle
    Nova (game)

It says they updated the bootloader and also updated shit like navigator etc. I just hate how they add shit and you can't remove it.

rooting allows you to remove all that bs. also working on a new kernal to fix the automatic drop to 90% when taking your phone off the charger
    01 Turbo Miata
    96 4x4 Suburban

Comment

i have an evo but know nothing about rooting or what that means. i do want to remove all the useless bs that comes with it. is there a good link that you know of that explains how/what to do and the benefits of rooting?

Comment

I rooted and still could not remove the Sprint apps, I had to put a non sprint rom on it in order to do it.

Haven't had a problem with the 90% though.

Comment

Originally posted by flybye70ss View Post
          i have an evo but know nothing about rooting or what that means. i do want to remove all the useless bs that comes with it. is there a good link that you know of that explains how/what to do and the benefits of rooting?

Comment

Originally posted by ozzeran View Post
            I rooted and still could not remove the Sprint apps, I had to put a non sprint rom on it in order to do it.

Haven't had a problem with the 90% though.
            have you tried using titanium back up pro to remove them? It also gives you a chance to freeze the apps as well to save ram

Comment

If you rename them in a file manager like root explorer then they are "uninstalled"

Ex. Sprint_nav.apk is the file for sprint nav. Rename it to Sprint_nav.apk.bak and bingo, uninstalled. I run the stock OTA rom.
              01 Turbo Miata
              96 4x4 Suburban

Comment

That's some good info on how, but what is it? Will my contacts go away? Will the.phone look the same? Operate the same? Can I still use the market? Questions like that. I see a lot of info how to do it and I am confident I could, just not sure what and thats pretty big.

Comment

That's some good info on how, but what is it? Will my contacts go away? Will the.phone look the same? Operate the same? Can I still use the market? Questions like that. I see a lot of info how to do it and I am confident I could, just not sure what and thats pretty big.
                  rooting gives you super user access like changing the OS overclocking the cpu change the GUI improve performance delete bloatware etc...There are risks such as loosing contacts certain data/apps and of course bricking your phone but those have all but been reduced with recovery programs.
                  Last edited by 06S197GT; 12-22-2010, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
                    rooting allows you to remove all that bs. also working on a new kernal to fix the automatic drop to 90% when taking your phone off the charger
                    Do a full charge with the phone on, unplug it, turn the phone off, plug it back in to charge, wait till it says 100%, unplug it, turn it back on but don't plug it in, wait for it to fully load for a minute, then turn it back off, plug it in again till it hits 100% again, unplug it, then use the phone as normal. This process is used to reset the battery.

As far as removing sprint apps, usually a root will allow for different user permissions so you can actually remove the apps. If that doesn't work, you might have to go with a different rom. I know with my captivate I couldn't remove some stock apps until I downloaded a certain method of rooting that unlocked the permissions and deleted those apps all at once.

Comment

Originally posted by 06S197GT View Post
                      rooting gives you super user access like changing the OS overclocking the cpu change the GUI improve performance delete bloatware etc...There are risks such as loosing contacts certain data/apps and of course bricking your phone but those have all but been reduced with recovery programs.
                      Thanks for the info. After doing some reading, it seems that your contacts may go away, but they are "in the cloud" so they come back. I have all my email accounts set up and bookmarks saved. Do those go away? Basically when you root does it reset the phone to factory or just open it up and thats it?

Comment

Originally posted by 06S197GT View Post
                        have you tried using titanium back up pro to remove them? It also gives you a chance to freeze the apps as well to save ram
                        I don't think I used pro but I did back up my shit with titanium. I used unrevoked for my root. Was painless.

Comment

What Jeff said will work. The app is still on the phone but will not show in the app drawer. Just make sure to re name it back if you ever update.

Comment

Thanks for the info. After doing some reading, it seems that your contacts may go away, but they are "in the cloud" so they come back. I have all my email accounts set up and bookmarks saved. Do those go away? Basically when you root does it reset the phone to factory or just open it up and thats it?
                            It just opens it up, your email and bookmarks shouldn't change

Comment

Hey fiddy, you wanna root my Aria?

Comment

Working...
                              X