bowling ball cannon design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bowling ball cannon design

So, I was sitting here at the office thinking of a way to fire a bowling ball cannon/mortar with a pull cord and I came up with this basic idea. Basically, it works off a standard 205 shotgun primer off a rudimentary firing pin design. Should prove to be a much safer and more reliable method than a fuse.

mspaint ftw.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

205?

It seems like it would work fine as long as you get a good seal between the breech block and the chamber.
    "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
      205?

It seems like it would work fine as long as you get a good seal between the breech block and the chamber.
      sorry a standard 209. I was planning on having the block rotate on a bolt into position and then lock, like old deck guns use to.
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I use a naval lock and primers.

Comment

Dude, bring Chris, a 24 pack, and his welding skills and lets go to the warehouse and make this shit happen!
          Originally posted by lincolnboy
          After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
            I use a naval lock and primers.
            Like this?

Comment

Essentially what that cannon uses for its firing mechanism. Mine isn't a work of art, but it goes bang everytime.

Basically I threaded a black powder primer nipple into the acetylene tank and fashioned a pully/hammer system. Place primer over nipple, pull cord, weighted hammer strikes primer, and bang.

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
                Essentially what that cannon uses for its firing mechanism. Mine isn't a work of art, but it goes bang everytime.

Basically I threaded a black powder primer nipple into the acetylene tank and fashioned a pully/hammer system. Place primer over nipple, pull cord, weighted hammer strikes primer, and bang.
                ^So a simple pendulum trigger?

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                  ^So a simple pendulum trigger?
                  Yup

Comment

our neighbor in Creede has a mechanical cannon that uses automotive suspension coil springs. it'll hurl a bowling ball pretty damn far
                    http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
                      our neighbor in Creede has a mechanical cannon that uses automotive suspension coil springs. it'll hurl a bowling ball pretty damn far
                      haha shit that sounds more dangerous than black powder.

Comment

probably is. he's had it for as long as I remember
                        http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

The Naval Lock breech design is what I was trying to describe last night. It's pretty stout.
                          "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                            sorry a standard 209. I was planning on having the block rotate on a bolt into position and then lock, like old deck guns use to.
                            Seems like it would work pretty good. I would think your main concern would be setting the firing pin depth so as not to puncture the primer, that couldn't be a good thing with BP.
                            "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Would an Argon bottle work for the tube?

Comment

Working...
                              X