Shotguns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shotguns

I didn't see a shotgun thread, so I thought I would start this one. I am always interested in how others set their stuff up, so feel free to add to it.

I recently pulled out my old 60's model Montgomery Ward, store brand, 12 gauge. It sported a full length barrel with a full choke and some old worn wood stocks. I never used the thing because the action was always sticky and I have a Benelli Nova I prefer.

So I decided to tinker with it a bit and put together a little "special purpose" gun. This model was made by Mossberg and labeled a 550A, so there are parts available. I pulled it apart and cleaned out 20-30 years of gunk and polished a few pieces. I bought a 18.5" short barrel and I touched up the blue on the mag tube and the receiver, where it was really worn. I bought a set of Hogue Tamer grips (pistol and forend), a sling and a mag tube brace. The trigger and pump action are worlds better after a little work and the grips are some of the best and most comfortable I have used. A 3" slug is nearly managable with the padded palm grip.

I didn't take a before picture, but the transformation from worn out field gun to a fun little "personal defense" gun, that I am actually taking out and shooting, was pretty drastic. Here is a similar gun for the before:

Here is an after:

Oh, and the Nova for good measure:

Shotguns without a stock are just about fucking useless for anything besides spray and pray.

I have a pretty Benelli to shoot birds, and a black benelli for shooting other things.

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
      Shotguns without a stock are just about fucking useless for anything besides spray and pray.

I have a pretty Benelli to shoot birds, and a black benelli for shooting other things.
      I agree, that's why I did it to a gun I never use. That said, after about thirty round of mixed ammo, I was pretty accurate with it. At the very least its a compact truck gun. I can always swap the stock back on.

Comment

How do you like the benelli? I'm about to pick up a super nova with a issue with dropping shells for cheap. Hoping its a easy fix ha

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
          I agree, that's why I did it to a gun I never use. That said, after about thirty round of mixed ammo, I was pretty accurate with it. At the very least its a compact truck gun. I can always swap the stock back on.
          That's true. There's nothing wrong with trying new things.
          Originally posted by onemeangixxer7502 View Post
          How do you like the benelli? I'm about to pick up a super nova with a issue with dropping shells for cheap. Hoping its a easy fix ha
          My sporting Benelli was purchased in the late 90's and has seen thousands of rounds. I used to shoot a lot of trap/sporting clays and it has been 100% reliable. I have never had a failure that I can recall.

My newer Benelli was purchased to shoot in 3 gun matches (that hasn't happened yet), and I've shot ~3-400 rounds through it. Flawless, and after a little trigger work, it's a hell of a shooter.

I previously had a few different "tactical" shotguns and they all ran okay, but for some reason these Benellis just do it for me. They're stupid simple, phenomenally reliable and they run well. That's a good combination. The Novas are slick for a pump gun, and they are super fast to reload (the plastic around the feed port acts like a mag-well. If I were going to dick with a pump gun, it'd be a Nova. I'm actually surprised to hear that the one you found is having trouble. I'm even more surprised that the original owner didn't spend $40 to send it to Benelli and get it sorted out.

Comment

That's true. There's nothing wrong with trying new things.

My sporting Benelli was purchased in the late 90's and has seen thousands of rounds. I used to shoot a lot of trap/sporting clays and it has been 100% reliable. I have never had a failure that I can recall.

My newer Benelli was purchased to shoot in 3 gun matches (that hasn't happened yet), and I've shot ~3-400 rounds through it. Flawless, and after a little trigger work, it's a hell of a shooter.

I previously had a few different "tactical" shotguns and they all ran okay, but for some reason these Benellis just do it for me. They're stupid simple, phenomenally reliable and they run well. That's a good combination. The Novas are slick for a pump gun, and they are super fast to reload (the plastic around the feed port acts like a mag-well. If I were going to dick with a pump gun, it'd be a Nova. I'm actually surprised to hear that the one you found is having trouble. I'm even more surprised that the original owner didn't spend $40 to send it to Benelli and get it sorted out.
            He bought three, and just hasn't dicked with it. I can get it for 200obo so i figure I might give it a go and see if I can get it fixed.

Comment

My little Nova has been a great gun, I've never had any type of failure with it in years and it is very easy to shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by onemeangixxer7502 View Post
                He bought three, and just hasn't dicked with it. I can get it for 200obo so i figure I might give it a go and see if I can get it fixed.
                It's a hell of a shotgun for $200. I'd be hard pressed not to chop that bitch to 18.2" and toss it in the truck.

Comment

Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                    [IMG]http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp330/kingjason2006/Guns/IMAG0327.jpg/IMG]
                    Saiga? That is really nice.

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                      needs more tromix.

Comment

Needs less CAR stock. Bleh!
                        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

I use my shotguns for hunting and clay pigeons so my pics would be just of an O/U, 1100,A5 and the first one I learned to shoot Winchester M12. Kinda boring yet very effective so no picks.
                          "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Needs more accelerator saiga pistol conversion.

Ded

Comment

Here are a few of mine:

My FN that I use in 3 gun:

Side saddle for stages that I need it.

My remington 1100 Trap-T. Great trap gun. I've had it a long time.

And my 1969 year model smith and wesson 20 gauge model 1000. It's never been shot and I still have the box. My dad gave it to me a long time ago. Pretty special gun to me, and the engraving is beautiful IMO.

And my Remington 870 that I started shooting 3 gun with, it used to be a wooden stocked one. Now it's just a "home defense" gun.

04 2.6 KB'd Cobra!

Originally posted by Sean88gt
                              There is something about her that just makes my dick completely take over any thought process. If Russell Brand were on top of her, I'd fuck him just to say I pushed a dick inside of her.

Comment

Working...
                              X