New Mustang/detailing problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Mustang/detailing problems

I am new to this forum, so if I am posting in the wrong place, please feel free to redirect me ;-)

A few weeks ago I purchased a 2013 Mustang from Bankston Ford after shopping around for months and awaiting for one for years! It was the only Race Red on the lot, but it had two small dents on the front fender and a 1/2 gash on the back fender (it had been driven 300 miles). At signing I made an appointment to have the repairs done and dropped my car off early the next week. The following day when I arrived at the dealership to pick it up, I was shocked to find my car, which I was told would be completely detailed, covered in dust and dirt. My sales guy, seeing the look on my face, said that the "body guys" said that the car could not be exposed to water until the paint had set and told me to bring the car back in 72 hours for complete detailing.

I don't know much about car body work, but I did have a certain level of trust in this guy and this dealership from whom I have been purchasing cars for 15 years. But, as I drove off the lot my suspicious about all of the dust on my not-so-shiny new car began to rise. It was quite obvious that the proper care was not taken with my car because as I was waiting to drive into traffic, I looked down at my steering wheel and saw a large thumb print on the right horizontal chrome. On the left was another mark and something which looked like a smudge of clear coat. Of course, my efforts to remove any of it were futile. I drove to a gas station to wash the windows, by now totally ticked that they didn't even bother to protect the glass by covering the ws/windows with paper. As I was driving home and the sun was shining through the windshield or the side windows, they appeared as though they were speckled. I tried to wash them again once home...no change.

Sorry...already a long story, but...the dealership apologized profusely, said they could remove all perfections and asked for an excellent rating when the survey was received in the mail. But here is where I am - and I wanted to hear from y'all before I contact them again - the specks on the front windshield are better, but still there, the side windows and back windshield are no better at all. The marks have been removed from the steering wheel, but now the Audio Controls do not work (maybe from the chemicals they used to remove the chemicals placed on the steering wheel by the numbskull who drove my car with them on his hands!?).

I am so frustrated and I don't know what to do. Normally, this is a situation I would take to my dad for advice, but he passed away recently. My gut is telling me to demand a new car. What do y'all think?

Again...sorry about the novel-length explanation....

Real question is, how would you react during a movie theatre shooting if you had a CCW? Would you run to safety? or fire on the aggressor?
    Ded

Comment

What type of repairs did they supposedly or supposed to do to your car?

that the "body guys" said that the car could not be exposed to water until the paint had set
      What?
      Last edited by Up0n0ne; 07-20-2012, 11:40 AM.
      2 Chronicles 7:14
      If My people, which are called by My name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Comment

They supposedly had to bang out the dent in front, fill the gash in the back, touch-up paint and re-coat.

Comment

So they did paintless dent repair in the front, fill and re-paint quarter panel?

First PDR (paintless dent repair) no painting is required and second the rear quarter that was re-sprayed should have been cured under a lamp and cut n buffed before delivery. Which means you can wash the car. Or better yet, they should've washed the car.

I would NOT give them any kind of excellent rating on that survey and I would try and get the car replaced.

So you bought a "new" car that has already seen the body shop and already have controls that don't work?
          If My people, which are called by My name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Comment

100% demand a new car
            1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

Originally posted by 2165 Turbo Rail View Post
              100% demand a new car

Had a friend buy a new Escape and I detailed it for her and the tire dressing that flung up on the paint was baked in and the paint was chipped on the roof with rust.

They wanted to respray the whole car. lol

They weren't happy, but got her into a new Escape.

Comment

I hope you got a "used car price" on the new car.

Most of this sounds fixable by any decent shop, but honestly this is the wrong first step on a new car.

If you got the good deal, go back and make them make it right. If the first guy is trying a runaround, immediately ask for someone in charge.

It does sound like they are treating you like an idiot, but not being there, it's hard to say.

At a minimum, you car should look and function perfectly. At worst, you get a new car or refund.
                sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                86 SVO - Sold
                '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Thank you all. I do feel like an idiot. I did not get a "used" price at all...def a 2013 price! I am going to demand a new car! Y'all have helped to give me the confidence to do that, and I really appreciate it!

Comment

Update?
                    I wouldn't feel like an idiot. Most dealers treat their customers like this.

And I would really like to see this paint work that it's not ok to wash, but it's ok that dust and dirt can be all over.

Comment

I was told not to wash my car for a month after i had a new front end put on.
                      sigpic
                      07 vortech GT - Sold
                      88 fox 5.0 lx hatch - Sold
                      09 procharged GT - Sold
                      14 5.0 M6 road racer - Sold
                      96 GT project car - current

Comment

When they cut n buff they wet-sand using water & sandpaper, but then tell people not to wash their car. lol I understand informing customer's not to wax their car due to allowing the paint to fully cure, because wax can trap chemicals in that need to escape to fully cure, water however, will not.
                        Last edited by Up0n0ne; 07-22-2012, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X