New project: Remington 552

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New project: Remington 552

One of the more peculiar guns I have acquired is a Remington 552. It's a rather obscure model that never really got much attention but it does have an interesting feature. It's the only autoloading rifle I know of that can shoot .22 short, .22 long, and .22 long rifle reliably. One of the cool things is it can hold 20 rounds of short in it's tube magazine, which is pretty impressive. What's even better is .22 short chronos 1100fps out of the barrel with the high velocity stuff - which is just 30fps short of supersonic, so it's perfect for suppressor use. I'm going to send it off to atwell tactical this week and have it threaded for a suppressor. After that I think might make a custom stock for it, should be pretty interesting.

Last edited by CJ; 07-22-2012, 10:03 PM.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

I've owned a 552 Speedmaster for over 30 years. Best shooting .22 I've ever had. Be interested to see how yours turns out with the mods.

Comment

Springfield 87A's run everything well, I have one that I'm refinishing right now.
      "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Be careful when you're disassembling and reassembling dude. The screw that holds the barrel band around the magazine and barrel miiiight have two complete threads. It's stupid easy to strip out.
        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
          Be careful when you're disassembling and reassembling dude. The screw that holds the barrel band around the magazine and barrel miiiight have two complete threads. It's stupid easy to strip out.
          good advice. I will be careful. What's great about it is I don't have to move my front sight back. I was originally going to thread my Marlin 60, but it would require the sight moved back. Only thing that sucks about suppressing a tube fed gun is you have to remove the can to reload the gun.
          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
            Only thing that sucks about suppressing a tube fed gun is you have to remove the can to reload the gun.
            White people problems

This should be badass man, I have heard that the 552s are phenomenal firearms.
            Originally posted by lincolnboy
            After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
              White people problems

This should be badass man, I have heard that the 552s are phenomenal firearms.
              I've been browsing the competitive rimfire forums and that seems to be the consensus. I've always considered the Marlin 60 to be one of the most accurate .22's and the ruger 10/22 lower than that, however almost everyone rates the 552 as being considerably more accurate than a Marlin 60. Some of the really early Marlin's like the 73 (I think that's the model#) are better. So, I think I'll put a scope on this one and spend my cz money on this one. It looks to be a pretty easy project.

On another note, you had a leupold rimfire scope on your 10/22 didn't you? I was really impressed with that, I think I'll pick one of those up for mine.

Comment

On another note, you had a leupold rimfire scope on your 10/22 didn't you? I was really impressed with that, I think I'll pick one of those up for mine.
                Yes I do, it is a leupold rimfire fixed 4x. I have a Nikon rimfire on my CZ that is very nice as well and is a 2-9 (I think). I will bring both guns out this weekend so we can play with them.

Edit: Both have threaded barrels so bring your can. I would love to do a side by side comparison of a suppressed bolt action vs a suppressed auto loader.
                Originally posted by lincolnboy
                After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
                  Yes I do, it is a leupold rimfire fixed 4x. I have a Nikon rimfire on my CZ that is very nice as well and is a 2-9 (I think). I will bring both guns out this weekend so we can play with them.
                  Awesome, sounds like a great idea. If you don't have the coin, buy a prime lense... so I'll definitely get a fixed scope. All of the leupold scopes I've owned were good class for what they were, but usually pretty feature anemic, so a prime lens is the way to go.

Comment

My grandfather showed me two of these this weekend. He's had them for a long time apparently. I know nothing about them but they looked really nice.

Comment

It's the only autoloading rifle I know of that can shoot .22 short, .22 long, and .22 long rifle reliably.

I love all of the Remington 5 series .22s and have a pile of them but no 552.

You are overlooking a .22 that will shoot shorts and you will not have to remove the suppressor to load it.

Browning shotguns, rifles, pistols and the John M Browning Collection of custom over under shotguns.
                      Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svo855 View Post
                        I love all of the Remington 5 series .22s and have a pile of them but no 552.

You are overlooking a .22 that will shoot shorts and you will not have to remove the suppressor to load it.

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...1&tid=001&bg=x
                        Those are the Chinese built ones aren't they? I've heard these were pretty inaccurate given their take down design.

Comment

Those are the Chinese built ones aren't they? I've heard these were pretty inaccurate given their take down design.
                          You got me. All of them that I have are 30 + years old, made in Europe and are tack drivers.
                          Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

I sent my 552 off to get threaded on Monday, I should have a range report next week on it. I wanted to suppress a tube mag rifle, and after I went through all my 22's the 552 was the only one which had a no tube mag or front sight obstructing the muzzle so it could be threaded. So it literally required no alteration to the gun to add a suppressor. If it ends up working well, this would be a great mod for anyone else.
                            Last edited by CJ; 07-25-2012, 07:50 AM.

Comment

I have the tools to thread most calibers and barrel ODs. Would be happy to lend them to you in the future; no lathe needed.

Comment

Working...
                              X